You are not logged in.

#476 2014-06-23 13:59:24

vej.kse

Re: zathura - a document viewer

sebastinas wrote:

zathura's D-Bus interface exposes a GotoPage method. You can use that.

Thank you!  This is cleaner than using xdotool, anyway.  Here is how this D-Bus interface can be used in the command line, if someone else is interested in doing something similar:

dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.pwmt.zathura.PID-5255 /org/pwmt/zathura \
org.pwmt.zathura.GotoPage uint32:151

asks the zathura instance with PID 5255 to show page 152 of the current document.

#477 2014-07-10 22:40:58

will.price94
Website

Is there any equivalent to hintkeys like in pentadactyl? I'd like to follow links by home row keys instead of digits.

#478 2014-08-06 15:12:10

AugustePop

How can I dismiss the notification saying "Copied selected text to clipboard: blablabla"?

I have read both zathura and zathurarc man page, nothing seems to do this.

#479 2014-08-06 15:26:50

mlq
Website

AugustePop wrote:

How can I dismiss the notification saying "Copied selected text to clipboard: blablabla"?

Please fill in a feature request.

#480 2014-08-06 15:45:22

AugustePop

mlq wrote:
AugustePop wrote:

Please fill in a feature request.

I'm sorry to be silly. But how should I make a feature request?

I can't find it on the official webpage. Should I join a mailing list to do that?

#481 2014-08-07 18:52:57

sebastinas

AugustePop wrote:

Implemented in develop.

AugustePop wrote:

I can't find it on the official webpage. Should I join a mailing list to do that?

http://bugs.pwmt.org

Cheers

#482 2014-08-08 04:11:01

AugustePop

Wow. That's fast! Great!

I searched the source code of pwmt.org and found the link in a drop-down list under help. How can i miss that the first time...

This is truly a great app with responsive developers. What a wonderful day!~

#483 2014-08-09 09:35:22

tattsan
Website

In  multiple page mode, I want to sort pages right  to left when I read east asian vertical writing texts.
How can I do this?

Last edited by tattsan (2014-08-09 12:22:05)

#484 2014-08-24 19:24:43

codairem

Hi, new to zathura, which seems to have great potential.  Here are some things I can't figure out how to do after reading the documentation:

* find out which version of zathura I'm using (I downloaded it via apt-get)
* display the bottom of a page at the same as the top of the next (aka continuous scrolling, i believe)

Thanks!

#485 2014-08-24 19:29:53

codairem

another one: how to open it with a given geometry specified on the command line.  Do I have to create a custom config file in a separate directory and use the -c option?

#486 2014-08-24 20:23:42

codairem

Sorry for the barrage of questions -- I love zathura now, it's so clean and fast, but there are some things I would love to set just the way I want them because as an editor I work with the PDF viewer 50+h/week. 

* Can I set the starting window position? Neither the zathura nor the girara option list seems to offer this option but I may have overlooked something

* Can I bind a control plus uppercase letter?  I've tried map <C-+> zoom in
without success, and likewise <C-S-=> which would be the same.

Thanks a lot!

#487 2014-08-24 20:30:03

Miblo
Website

codairem wrote:

Hi, new to zathura, which seems to have great potential.  Here are some things I can't figure out how to do after reading the documentation:

* find out which version of zathura I'm using (I downloaded it via apt-get)
* display the bottom of a page at the same as the top of the next (aka continuous scrolling, i believe)

Thanks!

I just tried running $(zathura -v) and that does show which version of zathura and accompanying plugins I'm using.

As for continuous scrolling, zathura-0.2.9 (with pdf-poppler-0.2.5) does that for me, seemingly by default. My "$HOME/.config/zathura/zathurarc" only contains:

set font inconsolata-10
set adjust-open width

@archun: Intel® Core™ i5-4210M • [GPU] Intel® HD Graphics 4600 • [Kernel] linux-ck-haswell
Handmade.NetworkGitLab
The Life and Times of Miblo del Carpio

#488 2014-08-24 20:53:19

codairem

Thanks.  I evidently have an old version (which I suspected) but I wanted to find out what it is before ditching it.  Before posting I had tried zathura -v and got "Error parsing command line arguments: Unknown option -v": sorry I forgot to mention this.

I am now building zathura-0.2.9.tar from the tarball.

#489 2014-08-24 21:07:26

codairem

> I am now building zathura-0.2.9.tar from the tarball.

Well, I guess I'm not, since there are sorts of dependencies I can't seem to result under ubuntu 12.04.  I can't even install girara. So I'm stuck with the old version whose number I don't know.

#490 2014-08-25 08:56:13

mlq
Website

codairem wrote:

> I am now building zathura-0.2.9.tar from the tarball.

Well, I guess I'm not, since there are sorts of dependencies I can't seem to result under ubuntu 12.04.  I can't even install girara. So I'm stuck with the old version whose number I don't know.

You should be able to check the version that is installed via the package manager then?

If you tell us which compile errors you've got, we can help you to compile the new version yourself.

Best regarsd

#491 2014-08-25 11:07:09

codairem

mlq wrote:

You should be able to check the version that is installed via the package manager then?

Good point.  It was 0.0.8.5-4.  I have removed it using the package manager.

If you tell us which compile errors you've got, we can help you to compile the new version yourself.

Thank you for your willingness to help.  Here is where I've managed to so far:

*  installed gtk+3-0
* downloaded girara_0.2.2.orig.tar and ran "make install"; apparently succeeded
* In the zathura-0.2.9 source directory, "make" complained about the lack of magic.h.  I then installed libmagic-dev (which is marked as optional in zathura's  README) and now I can run "make" and "make install" without errors.

But when I tried the new zathura I get the message "could not open plugin directory: /usr/lib/zathura".

* downloaded zathura-pdf-poppler-0.2.5, tried "make", fails for lack of poppler-glib; found and installed libpoppler-glib-dev; now the poppler plugin compiles and installs.  I am able to view PDF files!

* downloaded zathura-djvu-0.2.3.tar, tried "make", failed for lack of ddjvuapi; located and installed libdjvulibre-dev, and now the djvu plugin complies and installs, but **** viewing any djvu file fails with "error: unknown file type"

* I'm interested in the PS plugin too but  I can't figure out where to get it.  The page https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+package/zathura-ps says " At the moment the plugin does not offer the full functionality. One is only able to extract document information and to save the document."

So, bottom line, I can view PDF files again with zathura 0.2.9. But some things that worked before are broken:

***** the man page was not installed ("make" said Nothing to be done for `man', and didn't create a man page; the old zathura had one).

***** I get this message upon startup:
(zathura:30547): Gtk-WARNING **: Unpaired gtk_style_context_restore() call

Thanks for your help

Silvio

Last edited by codairem (2014-08-25 12:37:14)

#492 2014-08-25 11:57:42

mlq
Website

Hi!

codairem wrote:

But when I try the new zathura I get the message "could not open plugin directory: /usr/lib/zathura".

I guess you haven't installed a plugin yet. Please install zathura-pdf-poppler or zathura-pdf-mupdf for PDF support; their installation routine will
create the above directory and install the plugin it. Apparently the directory just does not exist yet (you can either create it manually, but without a plugin
zathura is more or less pretty useless).

Best regards

#493 2014-08-25 12:06:39

codairem

I am now able to view PDF files! (with some problems -- see below)

* downloaded zathura-djvu-0.2.3.tar, tried "make", failed for lack of ddjvuapi; located and installed libdjvulibre-dev, and now the djvu plugin complies and installs, but **** viewing any djvu file fails with "error: unknown file type"

* I'm interested in the PS plugin too but  I can't figure out where to get it.  The page https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+package/zathura-ps says " At the moment the plugin does not offer the full functionality. One is only able to extract document information and to save the document."

So, bottom line, I can view PDF files again with zathura 0.2.9. But some things that worked before are broken:

***** the man page was not installed ("make" said Nothing to be done for `man', and didn't create a man page; the old zathura had one).

***** I get this message upon startup:
error: could not load plugin /usr/lib/zathura/ps.so
(libgirara-gtk2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Thanks for your help

codairem

Last edited by codairem (2014-08-25 12:36:53)

#494 2014-08-25 17:27:52

codairem

There must be a way to set the zoom other then by typing + or -, but I haven't been able to find it.  That is, I'd like to set it to a specified value from the linux command line (when first calling the program) OR the zathurarc file OR the zathura command line.  Any of the three would help, all three would be best.

Another  big win would be to have a logarithmic zoom step. Instead of zoom-step=10 meaning "add 10 percentage points to the zoom", in my ideal world it would increase it by 10% of the current value.  Otherwise it takes forever to get to a high zoom.

#495 2014-08-31 09:00:45

pezzonovante

I'm sorry if it's too basic a question. But can anyone give me a simple pros and cons of zathura-pdf-poppler vs zathura-pdf-mupdf? I have been using zathura-pdf-mupdf for a while, but recently I have come across a couple of large graphics heavy PDFs which causes zathura-mupdf to segfault. Using zathura-pdf-poppler, the same PDFs load correctly.

So, are there any benefits of using poppler backend as opposed to MuPDF?

#496 2014-09-05 02:13:01

likytau

I hoped to use this as a replacement for evince etc, but currently I'm not getting it to work usably for PDFs (mupdf plugin) -- there are huge blank spaces between pages. In particular, if I zoom in to a page so it's a readable size, then press PageDown, I end up in a blank space between pages and must use cursor keys to find the actual page.

Testing again now, the blank spaces seem to be about 10 times the size of the actual pages.. Pressing a or S adjusts the page size from tiny to slightly bigger, rather than to sensible sizes.

Is there something basic I'm missing here, or is the mupdf plugin just buggy?

EDIT: It seems likely that mupdf plugin doesn't understand the specific PDF correctly. Other PDF files and djvu files do not have this problem -- their display and spacing is perfectly ordinary. I couldn't get EPUB plugin to view anything at all, though.. it went through this slow conversion process, finally hanging at "67% Running PDF Output plugin". I also tested the CB plugin while I was at it and that seems to work fine.

EDIT2: I have tested the offending pdf in mupdf itself, and it works fine, so the problem is in zathura's mupdf plugin.

EDIT3:FWIW, Extracting a selection of pages from the pdf using pdfseparate, then collating them with pdfunite, the result does not exhibit the problem (it views as ordinarily as any other PDF)

Last edited by likytau (2014-09-05 04:41:00)

#497 2014-09-07 19:17:11

mlq
Website

Hello,

To those who were experiencing SIGSEGVs while watching PDFs containing images and are using the mupdf backend, should update to the latest version of mupdf.

Best regards

#498 2014-09-07 21:43:47

pezzonovante

mlq wrote:

Hello,

To those who were experiencing SIGSEGVs while watching PDFs containing images and are using the mupdf backend, should update to the latest version of mupdf.

Best regards

Thank you! That solved my issues.

#499 2014-09-10 06:22:32

likytau

mlq wrote:

Hello,

Best regards

This didn't effect the bug I described, but I did notice that the bug doesn't occur for the final page (which is text only)

#500 2014-09-29 15:15:55

archtaku

I'm unable to view my AT&T bill, though it does open in other viewers. I'm guessing that this might have something to do with the fact that the file command cannot identify the file type:

% file ATT_REDACTED_20140908.pdf 
ATT_REDACTED_20140908.pdf: data
% zathura ATT_REDACTED_20140908.pdf 
error: unknown file type

However, it is weird that the Firefox web viewer, and all the viewers I have on my phone, can open the PDF just fine.

Board footer