You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-08 00:59:21

plat

All HDD's not listing

I have 6 drives and only 3 show up with the lsblk -f command. Is there another way to see these drives. I am trying to set them all up in fstab. I have /home and 2 other set up but can't see the rest.

[hurst1969@localhost ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME   FSTYPE LABEL  UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                       
|-sda1 ext4          dfcc627c-8833-4de2-b37d-004c311d631d /boot
`-sda2 ext4          4f5e3298-ac51-4190-9abd-66e67473f3d3 /home
sdb                                                       
`-sdb1 ntfs          665A25495A251779                     /mnt/1TB
sdc                                                       
`-sdc1 ntfs   WD 2TB 74DE4AD3DE4A8CF4                     /mnt/2TB
sr0

#2 2014-08-08 01:01:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: All HDD's not listing

Please use code tags when pasting to the boards: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … s_and_Code

Are there filesystems on the other drives? Are they internal or external?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-08-08 01:18:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

While not directly related to your question: where is your root partition?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2014-08-08 01:59:48

plat

It's on Sda2, b & c are storage

#5 2014-08-08 02:20:48

plat

jasonwryan wrote:

Please use code tags when pasting to the boards: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … s_and_Code

Are there filesystems on the other drives? Are they internal or external?

There is windows (1TB) on one and mint (400G) on another. The windows one is the 1TB drive. The drive with mint does not show in the list. A 3TB drive formatted ext4 does not show. Another 2TB drive formatted ntfs does not show. Arch is on a 250G SSD.

Last edited by plat (2014-08-08 02:21:54)

#6 2014-08-08 02:24:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

sda2 is /home, I was asking where the root partition is.  Are there supposed to be three partitions on sda (or more)?  Perhaps you could tell us what all the partitions actually are so we can see where the lsblk output deviates.  We know there are 4 physical drives, but how many partitions?

EDIT: on hindight I find these even more confusing.  How can lsblk be executed from within a system without a root filesystem?  How can anything happen in a system without a root filesystem ... it can't.  So it seems the drives may not be unrecognized, but for some reason the output of lsblk is somehow filtered or constrained.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-08 02:26:42)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2014-08-08 02:34:49

plat

Trilby wrote:

sda2 is /home, I was asking where the root partition is.  Are there supposed to be three partitions on sda (or more)?  Perhaps you could tell us what all the partitions actually are so we can see where the lsblk output deviates.  We know there are 4 physical drives, but how many partitions?

EDIT: on hindight I find these even more confusing.  How can lsblk be executed from within a system without a root filesystem?  How can anything happen in a system without a root filesystem ... it can't.  So it seems the drives may not be unrecognized, but for some reason the output of lsblk is somehow filtered or constrained.

I have 6 HDD's. 3 show up in the list, 3 do not. Sda is the primary OP drive. Sda1 is /boot, Sda2 is /home. Sdb, Sdb1 is a 1TB drive with windows on it. Sdc, Sdc1 is a 2TB ntfs storage only.

Not showing

3TB formated 1 partition ext4
400G Mint OP
2TB formated ntfs

#8 2014-08-08 03:15:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks, but again, what about the root partition.  Can you post the output of `mount`?

#9 2014-08-08 06:11:44

plat

Trilby wrote:

Thanks, but again, what about the root partition.  Can you post the output of `mount`?

The root file system is in the sda2 file system with the /home folder.

#10 2014-08-08 06:59:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

plat wrote:
Trilby wrote:

The root file system is in the sda2 file system with the /home folder.

That's twice you have refused to post something that someone who is trying to help you has asked for...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2014-08-08 11:32:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Plat, I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, but the output of mount would allow me/us to see what is *actually* going on because your answers are nonsensical.  The root partition can certainly include the home directory, but the root partition cannot be mounted on the home directory ... if it was, on what device would that directory exist?

I just tested a hunch, and it seems if the root partition were *remounted* on a folder within itself, one could get lsblk output like what you are seeing.  I don't know if this would be sufficient to prevent other devices from being listed, but it certainly might be.  See my output below - after the first lsblk command you will see 'normal' output: there is a partition mounted at "/", that is the root of the filesystem.  After remounting the root partition somewhere else, lsblk does indeed give output comparable to yours with no (apparent) root filesystem.

$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   500M  0 part /boot
├─sda2   8:2    0    30G  0 part /
└─sda3   8:3    0 193.1G  0 part /home

$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
[sudo] password for jmcclure: 

$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   500M  0 part /boot
├─sda2   8:2    0    30G  0 part /mnt
└─sda3   8:3    0 193.1G  0 part /home

Again, I don't know if this is directly causing the problems that lead you to post, but it will definitely cause other very severe problems, and it might be the cause of the present problem - so until it is fixed it would be futile to ponder about other causes.

EDIT: thinking over this more I've come to suspect that your fstab must either have two entries for sda2 or only one and mount it at /home after the bootloader has already mounted it at /.  If this second mounting of sda2 happens while /dev/ is being populated, I can see how you would get these results of some devices showing up and others not.

But please don't leave me speculating.  In addition to the output of `mount` also post your fstab.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-08 12:03:18)

#12 2014-08-08 14:50:38

plat

If you look at my Sda hdd there are two partitions and no swap. Sda1 is 250megs for the boot sector. Sda 2 is 240gigs this the root filesystem & /home. I thought that would be obvious since you can't get an operating system on 250megs. I'm sorry, I guess you needed more specifics because the list doesn't show the partition sizes. My bad...

Anyway I found the issue. The computer is a buddies of mine who has had windows & Linux mint on other drives and wants to keep them. His case has hot swap bays and we are utilizing a USB HDD. After no luck with software or the command line, I decided to just connect all the drives (in lieu of one at a time) at once and have the Arch HDD boot first. It loaded into maintenance mode. After entering the root pass I used lsblk -f and it returned all the drives.

What has occurred is there are a multiple Sda drives and so on. It looks like the prior Mint installation took the liberty of naming them as needed. My friend just did a GUI standard install. We are in the process of moving data to a ext4 formatted drive named in a manner that will work once all data is moved and drives all reformatted & named correctly.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by plat (2014-08-08 14:54:39)

#13 2014-08-08 14:56:58

ewaller
Administrator

I think this thread has reached its logical conclusion.
Closing.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#14 2014-08-08 17:06:15

plat

<Moderator comment... This is the first post of a separate thread that was meged with the first>

Is there a command to change the drive name from Sda to Sdb?

Some how the Arch install once I plugged all drives up changed to Sdb without any prompting on my part? I would like to change it back to Sda and rename the balance of the drives because of the sheer volume of the data.

I am new to this so please have some patience, my last post was closed early

Last edited by ewaller (2014-08-08 20:06:58)

#15 2014-08-08 17:24:19

ewaller
Administrator

The drives are named assigned a device node name in the order they are discovered.  This may be a function of how long it takes for the individual drives to go ready and is nondeterministic.  Also, adding new drives to a system can change the /dev/sdx numbers.  This is why it has highly advisable to use UUID rather than device node names.   You might also (also in the linked article) use volume labels, but, alas, there are no guarantees of uniqueness there either.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-08-08 17:25:44)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#16 2014-08-08 17:39:08

ANOKNUSA

This may be a function of how long it takes for the individual drives to go ready and is nondeterministic.  Also, adding new drives to a system can change the /dev/sdx numbers.

For the sake of elucidating a bit, I'll say that it seems drive letter assignment may also be affected by the order in which busses are checked/queried/whatever during POST. I have two SSDs in my Thinkpad laptop that typically get assigned to /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. I can also remove the optical drive and insert a third disk in the slot where that drive normally is; when I do so, that third disk becomes /dev/sdb on the next boot-up. I learned this after installing Arch when I first got the machine and watching my system fail to boot, and since then I've had to remind myself to be extra careful and double-check which filesystem I'm running commands on when using a third disk. If you intend to add and remove drives to SATA connections somewhat frequently, be aware of that.

#17 2014-08-08 18:59:32

falconindy
Developer
Website

plat wrote:

Is there a command to change the drive name from Sda to Sdb?

Short answer: yes, it's called 'mv'.

Less short answer: You really don't want this. If you need stable names for disks, use the symlinks found in /dev/disk/by-*/. You cannot and should not try to fight the kernel assigned names which are handed out on a first-come, first-serve basis.

#18 2014-08-08 20:03:28

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment.  Plat and I took this off line for a while and worked a few things out.  There was confusion that the mount command literally means you type 'mount'

Here is a redacted summary of the offline parts:

plat wrote:

The question he asked made no sense. What is output of mount? Is it a specific command? If so, what command? I answered it to the best I could with what I know. We all aren't natural coders. I posted in the newbie corner for that reason.

Patience is critical with newbs. If  you want output give the command with it. I had & have no idea what that output is without the command to go with it. All I know for it is lsblk -f & lsblk -l and I posted the output of the former.

I put my new question in the forum in a new post.

I had plat run ls /dev/sd*

ewaller wrote:

I think this is a case of the old bit, "Who's on first?".

Trilby wanted you to run the mount command.   'mount' is the command.
Just type 'mount' at a command prompt.  That is it.

Now, from your picture, I can tell you have 5 physical drives.  sda,
sdb, sdc, sdc, sdd, and sde. 

sda has one volume, sda1.  It is NTFS.
sdb has no volumes, but the entire disk is formatted as ext4.
sdc has two volumes, sdc1 and sdc2.  Both are ext4.
sdd has one volume, sdd1.  It is formatted as NTFS
sde has one volume, sde1.  It is formatted as NTFS.

But, and this is where I think you missed the point, the /dev/sda
represents a device node name.  It is a "file" that is created in
your /dev tree that represents the first drive that was found by
Linux.  It is usually the first drive that went ready.  It is not the
name of the disk.  sdb is the second disk to go ready, c the third,
etc...  There is no guarantee that the disks will be detected in the
same order and assigned the same device node twice.

This is why you should use the UUID that is unique to each volume.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UUID#by-uuid
When you made the assertion that there had been 5 drives on your
system, you were incorrect.  It looks like there were only three drives
attached.  The ones that "were not hooked up at the same time" were not
seen by Linux and were not assigned a device node.

I now understand your confusion (I think).  With you permission, I
would like to place this email chain back on-line in your thread and
then I'll reopen it.

And, while I am at it, I am merging in the other thread and reopening this one.....

Last edited by ewaller (2014-08-08 20:04:56)

---

#19 2014-08-08 20:21:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Plat, feel free to ask for clarification if you don't understand a request for information.  If it looks like you just ignore requests for information, then you will not likely have a productive tenure on these forums.

I am still quite concerned about the lack of an actual root partition.  As I've tried to explain above, your root directory and home directory can indeed be on a single partition, but then that partition would be mounted on "/" not on "/home".  Your lsblk output does not even list a root filesystem - and the only possible way I can know for that to happen would be if you remounted the same partition twice.  Again, this will eventually lead to catastrophic results.

If you do not understand these concerns, I'd urge to you ask and/or try to learn more - if you ignore this situation you will be in for a rude awakening when your system becomes entirely unusable.

EDIT: and for the record, I'd like to take responsibility for the thread being closed previously.  While ewaller pulled the trigger it was only (edit again: only is a poor word, but I did request it) at my request.  It did not seem that you were cooperating in the troubleshooting process.  I look forward to being proven wrong on that.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-08 20:26:16)

Board footer