You are not logged in.

#401 2014-06-12 17:29:03

doubleshot

Re: herbstluftwm

thorsten wrote:

The problem is that the application requests a very large x-coordinate and herbstluftwm treats the coordinates relative to the monitor position

I thought as much, unfortunately I didn't have any solution at hand. That being said I tried your solution and after issuing the 'detect_monitors' command,
my problems still occur sad.

Just for information purposes, here's my Xinerama setup:

"metamodes" "LVDS-0: nvidia-auto-select +1680+319, DP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

#402 2014-06-13 21:18:43

thorsten

doubleshot wrote:
thorsten wrote:

The problem is that the application requests a very large x-coordinate and herbstluftwm treats the coordinates relative to the monitor position

I thought as much, unfortunately I didn't have any solution at hand. That being said I tried your solution and after issuing the 'detect_monitors' command,
my problems still occur sad.

Just for information purposes, here's my Xinerama setup:

"metamodes" "LVDS-0: nvidia-auto-select +1680+319, DP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

The idea was the set_monitors is just a workaround, i.e. you shouldn't do 'detect_monitors' afterwards. Only as soon as you finished working with gimp you can switch back to the real-multi-monitors-setup with 'detect_monitors'.

#403 2014-06-15 11:49:46

Baryon

thorsten wrote:

Does it also happen with simple terminals? E.g. if you try to select some text in xterm? I heard of similar problems after upgrading to the new window decorations and it sounds graphics-driver-dependent. (I still guess that it's hlwm's fault, I just have problems reproducing & debugging it)

Yes it happens with xterm as well. I'm fairly sure it was a problem before the xcursor update too.
This is with the radeon driver. I'll let you know if I find out anything more about it.

#404 2014-07-03 23:09:55

suija

I have an idea, but I can't code. So I am hoping someone here wants to try this.
Basically when you create a frame it automatically choses the apropriate layout based on the dimensions of the frame:
horisontally long ones get horisontal layout, quadratic ones get the grid one, you get the idea.
Would just save some anoyance.

..   ..- ... .   .- .-. -.-. ....   -... - .--

#405 2014-08-08 13:24:00

tigrezno

Hi, I'm new to herb and wanted to know if gaps could collapse into each other. For example between frames. Right now there are 10 pixels (in my config) between a frame and the screen border, but between frames it gets doubled to 20 pixels.

I hope I've explained it well.

Last edited by tigrezno (2014-08-08 13:24:48)

#406 2014-08-08 19:50:31

xero
Website

tigrezno wrote:

Hi, I'm new to herb and wanted to know if gaps could collapse into each other. For example between frames. Right now there are 10 pixels (in my config) between a frame and the screen border, but between frames it gets doubled to 20 pixels.

assuming i understand you correctly, yes.
if the gap is set to zero, the windows/borders will be touching with *almost* no gap. setting the gap to less then zero will eventually make the windows overlap.

to illustrate this, in the terminal call:

herbstclient set window_gap -100

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
http://git.io/.files

#407 2014-08-08 20:36:51

tigrezno

xero wrote:
tigrezno wrote:

assuming i understand you correctly, yes.
if the gap is set to zero, the windows/borders will be touching with *almost* no gap. setting the gap to less then zero will eventually make the windows overlap.

to illustrate this, in the terminal call:

herbstclient set window_gap -100

I want overlapping borders but also transparent. I've tried several user made configurations by copy/pasting (from several forums) but they don't work.

Something like this is what I want to achieve:

http://herbstluftwm.org/img/hlwm-panelicons-1.png

Last edited by tigrezno (2014-08-08 21:46:34)

#408 2014-08-09 06:49:29

thorsten

tigrezno wrote:

I guess you are confusing frame_gap and frame_padding (or any other frame_-property). Just set frame_gap and disable the smart_frame_surroundings (see below).

tigrezno wrote:

I want overlapping borders but also transparent. I've tried several user made configurations by copy/pasting (from several forums) but they don't work.

This is the nearly the default configuration. Just add the following things two them:

herbstclient set smart_frame_surroundings 0
herbstclient attr theme.inner_width 0

#409 2014-08-09 07:36:07

tigrezno

thorsten wrote:
tigrezno wrote:

I guess you are confusing frame_gap and frame_padding (or any other frame_-property). Just set frame_gap and disable the smart_frame_surroundings (see below).

tigrezno wrote:

This is the nearly the default configuration. Just add the following things two them:

But that still doesn't add window gaps. Do I need a compositor for making borders transparent?

#410 2014-08-09 08:18:51

thorsten

tigrezno wrote:
thorsten wrote:
tigrezno wrote:

tigrezno wrote:

But that still doesn't add window gaps. Do I need a compositor for making borders transparent?

Then adjust the window_gap property (together with frame_gap and frame_padding). Otherwise, I don't get what you mean (btw the screenshot is from my old desktop setup).

#411 2014-08-09 09:07:25

tigrezno

thorsten wrote:

Then adjust the window_gap property (together with frame_gap and frame_padding). Otherwise, I don't get what you mean (btw the screenshot is from my old desktop setup).

Thank you!, the problem was frame_gap/padding combination. Now I got it.

#412 2014-08-09 10:42:02

Slithery
Administrator

I'm having an issue with my keybind for dmenu2, the following line in my autostart appears to set up the keybind (it's listed in hc list_keybinds) but hitting Super+d has no effect.

hc keybind $Mod-d spawn dmenu_run -q -h 16 -fn "Ubuntu Mono-9" -nb black -nf white

The funny thing is if I run that exact command from a terminal (replacing $Mod with Mod4) the keybind then works correctly.

Any ideas?

My full autostart file can be found here if needed, but it's pretty standard.

Edit - Comparing the output of hc list_keybinds | grep dme there's a difference between the command run in my autostart and the command run in a terminal. First result is for the non-functioning autostart, second is for the working terminal command. Note the extra space added in the font declaration.

Mod4+d	spawn	dmenu_run	-q	-h	16	-fn	Ubuntu  Mono-10	-nb	black	-nf	white
Mod4+d	spawn	dmenu_run	-q	-h	16	-fn	Ubuntu Mono-10	-nb	black	-nf	white

Last edited by Slithery (2014-08-09 12:00:13)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#413 2014-08-10 09:50:56

tigrezno

slithery wrote:

I'm having an issue with my keybind for dmenu2, the following line in my autostart appears to set up the keybind (it's listed in hc list_keybinds) but hitting Super+d has no effect.

hc keybind $Mod-d spawn dmenu_run -q -h 16 -fn "Ubuntu Mono-9" -nb black -nf white

The funny thing is if I run that exact command from a terminal (replacing $Mod with Mod4) the keybind then works correctly.

Any ideas?

My full autostart file can be found here if needed, but it's pretty standard.

Edit - Comparing the output of hc list_keybinds | grep dme there's a difference between the command run in my autostart and the command run in a terminal. First result is for the non-functioning autostart, second is for the working terminal command. Note the extra space added in the font declaration.

Mod4+d	spawn	dmenu_run	-q	-h	16	-fn	Ubuntu  Mono-10	-nb	black	-nf	white
Mod4+d	spawn	dmenu_run	-q	-h	16	-fn	Ubuntu Mono-10	-nb	black	-nf	white

Have you tried with single quotes?

hc keybind $Mod-d spawn 'dmenu_run -q -h 16 -fn "Ubuntu Mono-9" -nb black -nf white'

or the other way around:

hc keybind $Mod-d spawn "dmenu_run -q -h 16 -fn 'Ubuntu Mono-9' -nb black -nf white"

#414 2014-08-10 10:07:05

Slithery
Administrator

Just tried, it makes no difference.

Time to jump on the mailing list / IRC and see if anyone there knows what's going on.

Edit - Solved on the herbstluftwm mailing list...

Thorsten wrote:

The problem is the following in your autostart:

hc() {
    cmds="$cmds , $@"
}

So you're creating one large string which is tokenized (cut into pieces) at the end:

herbstclient chain $cmds&

and your "extra space" actually isn't two spaces but one tab. The solution is to let the arrays stay arrays (i.e. don't make strings out of them). In autostart, this means:

Replace the hc-definition by:

hc() {
    cmd+=( , "$@" )
}

(i.e. cmd is an array of strings and not just a single string). Then replace the "fireing" of the array by:

herbstclient chain "${cmd[@]}"

You should omit the "&" because it might be that the panel or loadstate depend on settings you have in your autostart.

In general: only do that kind of collecting the hc-commands if you really know what you are doing. (It's not recommended and personally I don't do that).

Cheers,
Thorsten

Last edited by Slithery (2014-08-10 14:22:45)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#415 2014-08-12 20:43:47

ylixir

I've redone the autostart and panel in python. Includes some classes that wrap client calls to make it easy to do your own python scripts hopefully. It's a work in progress so there will most likely be rough edges and stuff will break I'm sure.

Github

#416 2014-09-29 00:33:57

Gadileth

Hi, I'm new to herbstluftwm.

Is there a way to lock tags to different monitors?

#417 2014-12-10 16:06:21

damicore

I'm trying to pipe the output of the following script

#! /usr/bin/env python

import string
import os

status_cmd = 'herbstclient tag_status'
idle_cmd = 'herbstclient --idle'

def parse_tags(output):
    #Takes herbstclient tag_status and parses it
    #returns a nested list of tags.
    tags = output.split()
    taglist = ''
    for i in range(len(tags)):
        if tags[i][0] == '#':
            s = '^bg(' + colors[3] + ')' + tags[i][1:] + ' '
            taglist += s
        elif tags[i][0] == ':':
            taglist += '^bg(' + colors[4] + ')' + tags[i][1:] + ' '
    return taglist

def parse_xdef():
#Returns the colors in Xresources in a list
#in the order they appear in Xresources
    os.chdir('/home/damian/')
    fin = open('.Xresources')
    colors = []
    for line in fin:
        color = line.strip()
        if 'color' in color:
            rgb = color[color.find('#'):]
            colors.append(rgb)
        elif 'background' in color:
            colors.append(color[color.find('#'):])
        elif 'foreground' in color:
            colors.append(color[color.find('#'):])
    return(colors)

colors = parse_xdef()
single_line_out = ''
idlein = os.popen(idle_cmd)
#for line in idlein:

for line in idlein.readline()
    if 'tag' in line:
        proc = os.popen(status_cmd)
        output = proc.readline()
        taglist = parse_tags(output)
        single_line_out = taglist
        print(single_line_out)

Through dzen or bar but it doesn't work. it is a script to show and update the tags from herbstcluent and It works on its own in the terminal: whenever I change tabs it prints the tablist formated for dzen but whenever I try to pipe it to a bar the bar stays black. It's driving me crazy, please do help.
I love herbstluft by the way smile

Edit: found a dirty workaround, sys.stdout.flush()'ing after every print statement. Any cleaner way?

Last edited by damicore (2014-12-11 19:34:11)

#418 2015-03-22 16:58:49

pepib

I'm very interested to this project for semplicity of configuration. But I've a question is possible to have the dialog windows ad floating at center of screen?

#419 2015-03-22 17:00:16

thorsten

pepib wrote:

I'm very interested to this project for semplicity of configuration. But I've a question is possible to have the dialog windows ad floating at center of screen?

sorry that's not possible at the moment. You can only toggle an entire workspace ("tag") between tiling and floating mode, but not single windows.

#420 2015-03-22 17:11:45

pepib

sorry that's not possible at the moment. You can only toggle an entire workspace ("tag") between tiling and floating mode, but not single windows.

always remains one of greatest tiling wm. I follow you in your project. Congrats.

#421 2015-04-01 15:20:27

chickenPie4tea

I can see how to switch to other workspaces with Modkey number and send app to other workspace( Mod,Shfit number) but how to send app to other workspace and follow it? At the moment it's two sets of keybindings, Mod,Shift,number,  then Mod,number
I can't see how to use eg, Control,Mod,number=send to workspace and follow

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#422 2015-04-01 15:54:59

thorsten

chickenPie4tea wrote:

I can see how to switch to other workspaces with Modkey number and send app to other workspace( Mod,Shfit number) but how to send app to other workspace and follow it? At the moment it's two sets of keybindings, Mod,Shift,number,  then Mod,number
I can't see how to use eg, Control,Mod,number=send to workspace and follow

You can configure it as follows: add the line

hc keybind "$Mod-Control-$key" chain , move_index "$i" , use_index "$i"

in the Tag-loop in your autostart. So in total, the section will look something like this:

# tags
tag_names=( {1..9} )
tag_keys=( {1..9} 0 )

hc rename default "${tag_names[0]}" || true
for i in ${!tag_names[@]} ; do
    hc add "${tag_names[$i]}"
    key="${tag_keys[$i]}"
    if ! [ -z "$key" ] ; then
        hc keybind "$Mod-$key" use_index "$i"   # go there without window
        hc keybind "$Mod-Shift-$key" move_index "$i" # send window there without following
        hc keybind "$Mod-Control-$key" chain , move_index "$i" , use_index "$i" # send window there and follow
    fi
done

Last edited by thorsten (2015-04-01 15:57:18)

#423 2015-04-01 17:11:24

chickenPie4tea

Thanks for the very quick reply!  It's the one thing I miss from other wm's so I am grateful for the full and clear reply.

#424 2015-08-11 07:35:01

chickenPie4tea

Is there some sort of follow command?
in the config file it's possible to set it so that if you start for instance Firefox is starts up in tag 3

hc rule class=Firefox tag=3 focus=on

but how to I make it so that I am swtiched to the tag it has just started in automatically?
At the moment say I am on tag 5 I then have to switch to tag 3 using the keyboard.

#425 2015-08-11 07:40:57

thorsten

chickenPie4tea wrote:
hc rule class=Firefox tag=3 focus=on

but how to I make it so that I am swtiched to the tag it has just started in automatically?

Use the switchtag consequence:

hc rule class=Firefox tag=3 focus=on switchtag=on

The behaviour of switchtag can be found somewhere deep in the man page:

switchtag
  if focus is activated and the client is put to a not focused tag, then switchtag tells whether the client’s tag will
  be shown or not. If the tag is shown on any monitor but is not focused, the client’s tag only is brought to the
  current monitor if swap_monitors_to_get_tag is activated.  VALUE can be on, off or toggle.

Last edited by thorsten (2015-08-11 07:41:28)

Board footer