You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-09 17:45:04

cerealbox

Can't get the internet up and running. [SOLVED]

Networks and routers are probably my biggest blind spots when it comes to computers, so of course this has to be the place where I run into trouble.

Pinging google gives me "unknown host." Pinging 8.8.
8.8 gives me "network is unreachable." My set-up, btw, involves me connected via an ethernet cable to a router which communicates to a router upstairs connected to sattelite internet. I have lubuntu installed on another partition and it is able to connect to the internet (so probably not a hardware issue).

I've followed more than one tutorial on changing the network interface name and gotten no errors, but ip link still gives me enp3s0. Which, btw, follows with <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen  1000 link/ether 80:ee:73:99:86:24 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I have checked to make sure that drivers have been installed correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by cerealbox (2014-08-09 19:00:57)

#2 2014-08-09 17:48:51

torors

Re: Can't get the internet up and running. [SOLVED]

How do you try to connect to internet (dhcpcd, NetworkManager, Wicd, Netctl.....)?
What is the output of ifconfig ?

Last edited by torors (2014-08-09 17:49:34)

#3 2014-08-09 17:52:47

cerealbox

torors wrote:

How do you try to connect to internet (dhcpcd, NetworkManager, Wicd, Netctl.....)?
What is the output of ifconfig ?

Maybe this shows my lack of knowledge. I just try to ping. Though I tried a tutorial that used dhcpcd and netctl without any progess, I don't really have any solid understanding of what they are.

ifconfig gives me "-bash: ifconfig: command not found."

Last edited by cerealbox (2014-08-09 17:53:28)

#4 2014-08-09 18:05:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please see the Networking page on the wiki and follow the instructions there.  Post back here if you run into trouble following those instructions.

Don't worry about ifconfig not being present - that is an older tool that has been replaced by `ip` in archlinux - though the former still exists in the repos.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-09 18:05:54)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-08-09 18:19:43

cerealbox

Trilby wrote:

Please see the Networking page on the wiki and follow the instructions there.  Post back here if you run into trouble following those instructions.

Don't worry about ifconfig not being present - that is an older tool that has been replaced by `ip` in archlinux - though the former still exists in the repos.

Problem is that there were no problems! I followed that, but my interface name still didn't change even though nothing funky went on. I tried other tutorials on the internet. Also no errors, but still no change in name. Skipping ahead, I tried ip link set enp3s0 up, but when I checked it was still down. Skipping ahead even further, dhcpcd enp3s0 times out.

#6 2014-08-09 18:32:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That interface name is correct.  If you wanted, you could change it to something else - but there is no reason to do so.

The other steps you mention are exactly right - but dhcpcd shouldn't time out.  This is a very different problem though.  Can you post the output of each of these steps:

ip link set enp3s0 up
ip a
dhcpcd enp3s0

Lines starting with # need to be run as root or with sudo, the other one can be as root or regular user. (edit: removed prompt symbols as it looks more confusing than helpful.  The first and last command need to be run as root, the second can be root or user).

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-09 18:33:50)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2014-08-09 18:42:44

ewaller
Administrator

This is a low level problem.  Note this:

<NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> 

Not having a carrier is a bit of a show stopper that no amount of fiddling with higher level things is going to fix.

So, when you plug in the cable, does the link light on the connector come on?  How about the link light on the router for the port you are plugged into?
No, check the cable.  Is it plugged in? At both ends? Have you tried a different port?
Have you tried a different cable? Is it a cross over cable? Should it be? Does your hardware care?
Have you tried your computer with a different OS?  Have you tried that cable/port with a different computer?

Have you used the ip command to try and force that interface "Up"?
Anyway, until the NIC is up and has a carrier anything else is a waste of time.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2014-08-09 18:49:20

cerealbox

Trilby wrote:

That interface name is correct.  If you wanted, you could change it to something else - but there is no reason to do so.

The other steps you mention are exactly right - but dhcpcd shouldn't time out.  This is a very different problem though.  Can you post the output of each of these steps:

ip link set enp3s0 up
ip a
dhcpcd enp3s0

Lines starting with # need to be run as root or with sudo, the other one can be as root or regular user. (edit: removed prompt symbols as it looks more confusing than helpful.  The first and last command need to be run as root, the second can be root or user).

There's no output after the first one.

After ip a, I get just like I showed in my original post.

After dhcpcd enp3s0 I get:
version 6.4.3 starting
enp3s0: adding addres fe80::f341:850b:850b:8eda:d18
enp3s0: waiting for carrier
timed out
exited

#9 2014-08-09 18:51:49

cerealbox

ewaller wrote:

This is a low level problem.  Note this:

<NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> 

Not having a carrier is a bit of a show stopper that no amount of fiddling with higher level things is going to fix.

So, when you plug in the cable, does the link light on the connector come on?  How about the link light on the router for the port you are plugged into?
No, check the cable.  Is it plugged in? At both ends? Have you tried a different port?
Have you tried a different cable? Is it a cross over cable? Should it be? Does your hardware care?
Have you tried your computer with a different OS?  Have you tried that cable/port with a different computer?

Have you used the ip command to try and force that interface "Up"?
Anyway, until the NIC is up and has a carrier anything else is a waste of time.

My computer doesn't have a light for that. However, the internet works fine with lubuntu which is also imstalled on my machine.

Edit: oh goddmanit, i am dumb. You were 100% right. The interface that needed configuring was enp5s0. I plugged it in to the other socket and a light i dudnt even think was there turned on. And Im the one who always says to check this stuff before anything else.

Last edited by cerealbox (2014-08-09 19:00:22)

#10 2014-08-09 19:00:28

ewaller
Administrator

Okay.  I cannot tell you how many times it has been the cable after hours of debugging. smile

Does the router have a light?  I am a big proponent of sanity checks.

What happens with sudo ip link set enp3s0 up   ?  Then, what does ip link report?

Edit:  I saw your edit.  Never mind.  I am glad it is working.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-08-09 19:01:38)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2014-08-09 19:02:51

cerealbox

me: arch is so hard! This is crazy!
> is the ethernet plugged in right?
problem solved. Thanks for your help though everyone. You've been very kind.

Board footer