You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-09 03:59:20

joltman

ZFS Root, error on grub-mkconfig

I've got a Lenovo T440s with 2 x 128GB MyDigitalSSD M2 SSDs.  I've downloaded and dd'd teh March 2014 installer to my USB stick.  I've booted.  I want to create a mirrored zpool for my root.  I've partitioned both drives to have a 512MB fat32 partition (GPT) and the rest as a Solaris partition for the root pool (zroot).  I had to compile spl-utils/spl/zfs-tools/zfs for the USB live environment.  I then created the zroot pool. 

I followed the Beginners wiki and got the zroot setup (also following the Install Arch to ZFS wiki).  I've also mounted /dev/sdc1 (the 512MB GPT fat32 partition) to /mnt/boot.  I'm to the point where I need to install a bootloader.  I've decided to go with grub, as I know that in April, there was an update that broke EFISTUB and stub boot loaders (that's why I used the March installer image).  I try to run this and get the error:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.conf

/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `/dev/ata-SC2_M2_SSD_serialnumber-part2'.

Well that path doesn't exist in the arch-chroot environment or the standard USB live env.  That drive only exists here:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-yadda

So I thought, well, maybe there's something in grub-probe I can twerk and get an answer.  I ran this:

grub-probe -vv --device /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SC2_M2_SSD_serialnumber-part2 /

There's a lot of output, but it does detect there is ZFS on the partition.  It runs through the check 2-check 12 and they all pass.  But is says the:

checksum fletcher4 verification failed
actual checksum so-manynumbers
expected checksum so-many-different-numbers
incorrect checksum
zfs detection failed.

It then goes on to check over FS types.  I did some Googling, and some people said this could mean a bad zfs scrub (or none at all).  Since I hadn't done one, I decided to.  In the arch-chroot env, I did a standard 'zpool scrub zroot'.  No errors (oh good, these are brand new M2 SSDs, would hope they're OK).  Run the same grub-probe, same thing.  I thought maybe this could be an ashift issue, but the only way I know how to check that is with smartctl, and it says 512bytes.  Who knows if that's accurate or not.  At this point, I'm lost (well, I was lost before this, but at least I'm still going).  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!

grub-probe -v
2.02~beta2

grub-mkconfig -v
2.02~beta2

#2 2014-08-11 22:41:51

danielkza

Re: ZFS Root, error on grub-mkconfig

If you're still around: I guess this might be related to a GRUB bug, where it cannot work with pools containing some new ZFS features:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42861

#3 2014-08-12 03:53:18

joltman

Re: ZFS Root, error on grub-mkconfig

Thanks for responding!  It looks like there still isn't a fix for this issue.

Board footer