You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-12 14:43:07

Sccoupe

Single application, fast boot, embedded graphical telemetry display.

Hello,

This is my first post to a linux forum. Since Arch linux seems to be the thinest, widely supported version available (google told me so), this is where my quest will start. I have experience with embedded computing (hardware/software) but little experience with Linux. The project is the create a fast digital graphics telemetry display. This has been done before with other embedded graphics processors that were programmed with a C++ style software. However, more power is now needed with better graphics. The Raspberry Pi and similar ready to go modules seem to be the way to go. FPGA's were a thought, but those guys keep pointing towards a RTOS type system with graphics acceleration. Perhaps someone here can point be in the right direction given the requirements below.....

Very fast boost up time.
Fast graphical hardware acceleration.
Multi layer graphics.
Alpha blending.
Anti-aliasing.
No windows manager required.

Arch linux seems to meet the fast booting time. A Rasberry Pi seems to meet the hardware requirements. Where do I go for the rest? Can graphics be done on the Pi without a windows type interface. Just boot up to the graphics application and run? What software (IDE) do I need to code such a program? Are there libraries to make this job easier? Any thoughts, suggestions, or routes?

Regards

#2 2014-08-12 15:42:45

drcouzelis
Website

Re: Single application, fast boot, embedded graphical telemetry display.

Are you looking for information on Arch Linux ARM? It's a different operating system. Please see the Arch Linux ARM forums here: http://archlinuxarm.org

#3 2014-08-12 16:37:38

Sccoupe

Oh. I didn't know that Arch forums were separated by CPU type. Since Pi, BB, or Freescale are all using ARM processors, archlinuxarm is the place for me as I havent run across any cheap i386 soc modules.

#4 2014-08-12 16:45:03

ewaller
Administrator

Just so you know, ArchArm is a completely different organization.  They have done a fine job of porting Arch to Arm, and we have a nice, symbiotic relationship with them.  Much of what is on these forums is apropos to running Arch on Arm, but we will vector you there when things are Arm specific.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer