You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-14 04:34:51

wilbert

seg fault at 0x18 catalyst powerxpress intel+hd7670

Hi all,

Love that registration proces. I hope this is the right forum for this.

I am having a bit of problem here. After playing diablo3 during install (you can start playing while installing) it refused to start after the install complete. Would no longer accept my integrated sandybridge graphics. So I decided to have a look if switchable graphics had made some progress. Lucky for me they have and the wiki is great as usual. However this time I encountered a problem that I can't seem to solve on my own.

After following the wiki, after a clean install with xorg 1.15,  including not disabling (but also tried with disabling) kms in the kernelparameters (since I have a intel intergrated graphics card) I run aticonfig --initial. It creates a xorg.conf, which I edited according to the wiki. After that I started Xorg, but it freezes the system. Just the power button is still responding. In the xorg.log I can see it gets a seg fault at 0x18.

When switching back to the intel graphics X starts fine. On google there are some topics about this one, but I could not find a solution. Most topics seem to suggest its not a catalyst issue, but I'm completely stuck. I hope someone here can help me get catalyst going, would love the 3d card to work!

The log is here: http://pastebin.com/h9BY7WhT

Edit: the last line it prints when starting up is loading extension GLX.
Also, with the intel card X is slower to start as before installing catalyst (from AUR) . A couple of seconds, but feels like ages.

Edit2: I also tried starting X with: startx -- -extension GLX , this results in a black screen with a nonblinking cursor at the top left. System freezes but no errors in the xorg.log.

If this is the wrong forum, my apologies, maybe someone would be kind enough to move it to a better place. If you need more information, please let me know!

cheers,
Wilbert -longtime linux and archuser, first time asker.

Last edited by wilbert (2014-08-14 05:13:04)

#2 2014-08-14 05:29:33

ewaller
Administrator

Re: seg fault at 0x18 catalyst powerxpress intel+hd7670

wilbert wrote:

Hi all,

Love that registration process.

smile

If this is the wrong forum, my apologies, maybe someone would be kind enough to move it to a better place. If you need more information, please let me know!

Welcome to the Forums.  Your post is just fine here.

I don't have any good suggestions as to your problem.  One thing you might try is disabling the rootless mode of Xorg.  ( man xorg.wrap ) on the chance it is causing problems.  Configure it to require root.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-08-14 05:57:50

wilbert

Thank you, I did notice that switching would not work with the rootles Xorg 1.16 , that was the reason I just did a clean install with 1.15, I believe that one does require root at all times. But I might be wrong.
To be honest, I have don't have much hope that anyone can help solve this. I've been using linux for about 18 years now and this is the first time I have encountered something that I just can't fix. I don't even know where to go from here, now that I tried without GLX.  Going to look into that man-page anyway, just to be sure. Since it is a proces of elimination for me now anyhow. Darn you Diablo! You make me want to switch graphics tongue

Last edited by wilbert (2014-08-14 05:58:39)

#4 2014-08-14 06:49:51

wilbert

Woops. Fixed! The solution was in this topic: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1419915
Downgrading xf86-intel-video to the version mentioned there did the trick. For future reference for other users:

pacman -S downgrade
downgrade xf86-video-intel

pick 2.99.910-1 from the list with suggestions (option 10 at this point in time)
Et voila.

I'm back to reinstalling diablo. Hopefully it will play now and hopefully I will find something for the 2d-lag.

Last edited by wilbert (2014-08-14 06:50:53)

Board footer