You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-14 11:32:31

RichAustin

Boot hangs - how to debug

Hi All

When I boot Arch, it's a fairly new installation and this has happened since I first installed Gnome, it hangs at a particular line (which Googling "reveals" is something to do with Intel driver but possibly sound - it's an odd one). Anyway, when it reaches this message the screen just freezes for anything from 30 seconds to a minute, then Gnome appears.

I've also noticed that when I logout of a session, I get a message about "Screen Display Error!" with no details.

My question is, how do I go about:

a) Debugging / logging the boot process so I can find out what is actually happening 
   before / after the screen freezes.

b) How do I debug / log what happens after I logout and log back in.

I honestly have no idea where to start and don't really know what to look for on the Net. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

Last edited by RichAustin (2014-08-14 11:34:17)

#2 2014-08-14 11:35:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Boot hangs - how to debug

Check logs, change to other ttys, check logs, shell in from another system, check logs.

If you want help from us, you should share what that 'particular line' is.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-08-14 11:40:43

RichAustin

Thanks Trilby, how do I check the logs? I don't know what logs to look for, nor where they are to be honest. I'll post the "particular line" obviously, I just don't have the piece of paper I wrote it on handy at the moment - I figured that finding out how to track what's happening was the most important thing to start with.

Richard

#4 2014-08-14 11:52:03

Buddlespit

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xo … leshooting

I have found that there's an arch-wiki for just about everything. To find those two above, I googled 'arch wiki system log' and 'arch wiki xorg'

#5 2014-08-14 12:04:24

RichAustin

Thanks Buddlespit, I'll take a look.

Richard

Board footer