You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-09 14:09:09

DMGrier

two days and still no updates?

Hello Arch Community,
So for the last two days I have ran the command "sudo pacman -Syu" and everything seems fine. I see stuff being downloaded from some repositories like example from this morning...

"[devon@MrLinux ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for devon:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community                  2.3 MiB  1889K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
archlinuxfr is up to date
multilib                 120.7 KiB   569K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
there is nothing to do"

When you see data being downloaded from a repository like in this one from "community" and "multilib" doesn't that mean there is something to install? Yesterday did the same thing, stuff downloaded but I keep getting "there is nothing to do". I read the pacman wiki and I googled the topic to see if I am just freaking out but could not find an answer to this. Thanks for any help.

#2 2014-08-09 14:13:04

0strodamus

Re: two days and still no updates?

There were updates, but most likely not for the software you have installed on your system. You can manually check here.

archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

#3 2014-08-09 14:24:11

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Also refresh your mirrors list to have the updated ones auto generated.

% which upp
upp: aliased to reflector -c "United States" -a 1 -f 3 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && sudo pacman -Syyu && cower --ignorerepo=router -u

You need to make sure your user owns /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist for that to work; you can omit the cower line if you wish.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2014-08-09 16:18:59

karol
Archivist

There's an online package database, you can sort the list to see which packages have been updated recently. It seems it has been rather quiet in the past 48 hours, with just a handful of packages being updated: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sor … =&flagged=
Edit: 0strodamus already provided the link, I've just filtered the output somewhat.

DMGrier, when posting configs, code or command output, please use [ code ] tags https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode

like this

It makes the code more readable and - in case of longer listings - more convenient to scroll through.

Last edited by karol (2014-08-09 16:20:28)

#5 2014-08-09 21:57:33

Svenstaro
Administrator

Seriously, people in Arch become upset if there's no software to update for 2 days?

#6 2014-08-09 22:01:52

clfarron4
Website

Svenstaro wrote:

Seriously, people in Arch become upset if there's no software to update for 2 days?

IKR?

If OP is that set on getting updates (and is prepared for system breakage), then run [testing].

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#7 2014-08-09 22:01:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Svenstaro wrote:

We want our updates. And we want them NAOW!

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2014-08-09 22:12:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

[testing] doesn't generally get more updates - the influx is about the same rate (not withstanding a few that enter testing but never hit the main repos).  [testing] is just a little farther forward on that wave.

@OP, as the first response suggested, you are right that when the repo databases need to be synced there is new information in them (e.g. new/udated packages).  But if you don't have any of those installed, there is nothing to do.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2014-08-11 20:08:57

Anatin

I've also been without updates for three mornings now.  This is unusual, particularly for my laptop on which I've crammed all sorts of frivolous stuff.  I finally shook off laziness for long enough to take a look at the very informative server status listings, which told me that my "favorite" servers were both nearly three days past their most recent syncs.  (Several others are, as well, I see, so perhaps yours is one of them.)

From there it was a quick hop to the mirrorlist updater which built me a new list.  Copied it over and checkupdates found me lots of fresh software updates.

#10 2014-08-11 20:44:41

nomorewindows

Maybe you just need to cower -u and see if you can get something to update.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#11 2014-08-11 21:03:06

Buddlespit

Svenstaro wrote:

Well, yeah... I have 1331 packages installed on my system and none of them have updated (including [Testing]) in what looks like 3.5 days.... I was wondering if something is broken, right up until I found this thread.

#12 2014-08-11 21:45:29

lolilolicon

There is a great market for a new package core/placebo which installs absolutely nothing but keeps bumping its versions every time a forum post is about to be posted.

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#13 2014-08-11 23:26:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Displayed in conky (natch), in a big ass font that says "It is now 7 minutes since your machine was updated!"

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#14 2014-08-11 23:53:57

karol
Archivist

Maybe you should complain upstream?

#15 2014-08-12 01:30:27

lolilolicon

jasonwryan wrote:

Displayed in conky (natch), in a big ass font that says "It is now 7 minutes since your machine was updated!"

And then I looked at Buddlespit's avatar and knew it has been 8 minutes! My feet are so hot I can't stop pacing.

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#16 2014-08-12 12:26:20

nomorewindows

Now for an update on this situation, I had a few updates today.  But one of the unofficial repositories seems to be down for the last couple of days.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#17 2014-08-12 12:50:29

skanky

It's worth remembering, also, that some developers and TUs are normal people and may go away on holiday during August, so there will be fewer updates during that period. Important packages may get updated by other developers, but you can sometimes tell someone's got back and updated a stack.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#18 2014-08-12 12:56:03

jakobcreutzfeldt

I don't know about you guys, but my computer just gets intolerable with each passing day if I don't update it on a regular basis. It starts ignoring me, smoking in my apartment, stealing loose change, drinking straight out of the milk carton, not flushing the toilet...Every time I Syu and there aren't any updates, I cringe, knowing the misery that awaits me. It's downright rude of the Arch devs and the upstream maintainers not to update their software more regularly.

TLDR: get your act together, devs

#19 2014-08-12 13:27:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If we're not careful we could fall from 48% to 49% obsolete!

Oh wait, no, we've moved up 18%.  Maybe the devs should intentionally take a repo down here and there - if we keep beating the competition that badly, no one will want to play with us anymore sad  OS Watershed might just take us of the list.  I can see it now, a footnote "*Archlinux not shown as the numbers can't be conveniently written on the same scale".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#20 2014-08-12 14:14:55

clfarron4
Website

Trilby wrote:

Oh wait, no, we've moved up 18%.  Maybe the devs should intentionally take a repo down here and there - if we keep beating the competition that badly, no one will want to play with us anymore sad  OS Watershed might just take us of the list.  I can see it now, a footnote "*Archlinux not shown as the numbers can't be conveniently written on the same scale".

I try my best to keep my packages up-to-date with the upstream "stable" releases.

Claire is fine.

#21 2014-08-13 01:49:16

nomorewindows

clfarron4 wrote:
Trilby wrote:

I try my best to keep my packages up-to-date with the upstream "stable" releases.

We could go off the charts with up-to-date unstable releases, but we call that testing and not everyone uses that.

Look ma, no mouse.

#22 2014-08-13 03:46:00

life_enjoyer

Trilby wrote:

We need to help Slackware! They're nice. Lets balance out with them!

A R C H
R
C
H

#23 2014-08-13 10:43:31

clfarron4
Website

nomorewindows wrote:
clfarron4 wrote:

We could go off the charts with up-to-date unstable releases, but we call that testing and not everyone uses that.

I suspect my package testing monkey (yes, my packages are tested by myself and a buddy) is planning to invest in a Dropbox repository for my birthday (it's soon big_smile), at which point things will be pushed as quickly as I can build them.

Hell, there may be days when I get bored and add stuff from the stable queues, just out of boredom (that'll be what I call testing).

Claire is fine.

#24 2014-08-15 00:22:24

nomorewindows

I think some of the holdup might have to do with linux- 3.17 coming.

Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer