You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-15 10:36:09

doru001

[SOLVED] agp not enabled for radeon card

In my logs:

Linux agpgart interface v0.103
kernel: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
kernel: [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
kernel: checking generic (c0000000 300000) vs hw (c0000000 10000000)
kernel: fb: switching to radeondrmfb from VESA VGA
kernel: Console: switching to colour dummy device 80x25
kernel: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (RV350 0x1002:0x4150 0x1458:0x4
kernel: [drm] register mmio base: 0xE5030000
kernel: [drm] register mmio size: 65536
kernel: [drm:radeon_agp_init] *ERROR* Unable to acquire AGP: -19

Here  it is not clear whether the AGP driver should be loaded before the radeon module or not for AGP to work. In my case, it appears that the AGP driver agpgart is loaded before the radeon module.
Then here I am not sure whether KMS should be started early or late. I have not found any vga=, radeon or agpmode in /boot/grub/*. I have radeon in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. I have no idea where and how to add my AGP driver before the radeon module.
This may also help:

sudo lshw -class display
  *-display:0             
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: RV350 [Radeon 9550/9600/X1050 Series]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: agp agp-3.0 pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=radeon latency=32 mingnt=8
       resources: irq:16 memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:d000(size=256) memory:e5030000-e503ffff memory:e5000000-e501ffff
  *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
       description: Display controller
       product: RV350 [Radeon 9550/9600/X1050 Series] (Secondary)
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0.1
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: pm cap_list
       configuration: latency=32 mingnt=8
       resources: memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e5020000-e502ffff

I have installed xf86-video-ati but I don't know if anything is loaded from it.

Please clarify those few points.

Last edited by doru001 (2014-08-16 11:06:33)

#2 2014-08-15 10:42:53

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] agp not enabled for radeon card

early start tends to work better, but that part of the ati wiki you linked to refers ATI#Enabling_KMS , which no longer exists.

check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Early_start , it clarifies how to get agp loaded before radeon.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2014-08-15 11:14:13

doru001

Lone_Wolf wrote:

early start tends to work better, but that part of the ati wiki you linked to refers ATI#Enabling_KMS , which no longer exists.

check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Early_start , it clarifies how to get agp loaded before radeon.

Thank you for your answer. I read that already (the second "here") and I have no idea where and how to add my AGP driver before the radeon module.

I know that Enabling_KMS no longer exists, that added to my confusion.

Last edited by doru001 (2014-08-15 11:17:30)

#4 2014-08-15 11:20:12

headkase

doru001 wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I read that already and I have no idea where and how to add my AGP driver before the radeon module.

Wiki wrote:

2. Otherwise, when the initramfs is loaded:
If you have a special kernel outside of stock -ARCH (e.g. linux-zen), remember to use a separate mkinitcpio configuration file (e.g. /etc/mkinitcpio-zen.conf) and not /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.
Remove any framebuffer related modules from your mkinitcpio file.
Add radeon to MODULES array in your mkinitcpio file. For AGP support it is necessary to add the AGP driver for your chipset (e.g. intel_agp, ali_agp, ati_agp, amd_agp, amd64_agp, etc.) before the radeon module.
Re-generate your initramfs.

Edit the file "/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"  In the "modules" line put "intel_agp radeon" without the quotes inside the quotes of the modules line with a space between them and before anything else that might already be there with a space between that too, all inside the quotes.  Once you have done that then run "mkinitcpio -p linux" as root to regenerate your initial ram disk.  Then reboot.  Early start done.

Last edited by headkase (2014-08-15 11:21:25)

#5 2014-08-15 11:57:42

doru001

headkase wrote:

Edit the file "/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"  In the "modules" line put "intel_agp radeon" without the quotes inside the quotes of the modules line with a space between them and before anything else that might already be there with a space between that too, all inside the quotes.  Once you have done that then run "mkinitcpio -p linux" as root to regenerate your initial ram disk.  Then reboot.  Early start done.

Thank you for your answer. I still get the same error.
During mkinitcpio I got the messages:

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: smsmdtv

The tv should not matter in this case.
So the AGP driver should be loaded before the radeon module? And it can be served as a module in the MODULES= list? And loading KMS early increases the chance that the AGP driver will be loaded in time? Is there no better way to ensure that the proper order is followed?

Last edited by doru001 (2014-08-16 09:04:33)

#6 2014-08-15 13:21:12

nomorewindows

Aic94x and smsmdtv doesn't have anything to do with your ati hardware.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#7 2014-08-16 09:22:06

doru001

nomorewindows wrote:

Aic94x and smsmdtv doesn't have anything to do with your ati hardware.

Good to know.
Could you please point me to some explanations on this stuff, drivers/mkinitcpio.conf, KMS in relation to each other (no drivers mentioned in man mkinitcpio.conf, for example, don't even know how can one find a list of such drivers for arch and where is written that they can be added to mkinitcpio.conf modules like that).

#8 2014-08-16 10:07:08

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

doru001,

i don't know if such an explanation was ever created, but will try to clarify a few things.

First , the MODULES= line in mkinitcpio.conf allows you to add kernel modules .
While Kernel modules are needed to make linux work with your hardware, they are NOT drivers.

The vast majority of the modules needed on a computer are detected automagickally by mkinitcpio program through the use of HOOKS.
(If you had used KMS late start, everything should have worked without changing the MODULES- line.)

I am aware of 2 reasons for adding kernel modules to the MODULES= line, there may be more :

- autodetection fails . this happens only in special cases for some special hardware or special setups.
(there used to be plenty of those cases, but automagickal detection has improved A LOT) .

- KMS early start

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#9 2014-08-16 11:04:28

doru001

Lone_Wolf wrote:

doru001,

i don't know if such an explanation was ever created, but will try to clarify a few things.

First , the MODULES= line in mkinitcpio.conf allows you to add kernel modules .
While Kernel modules are needed to make linux work with your hardware, they are NOT drivers.

The vast majority of the modules needed on a computer are detected automagickally by mkinitcpio program through the use of HOOKS.
(If you had used KMS late start, everything should have worked without changing the MODULES- line.)

I am aware of 2 reasons for adding kernel modules to the MODULES= line, there may be more :

- autodetection fails . this happens only in special cases for some special hardware or special setups.
(there used to be plenty of those cases, but automagickal detection has improved A LOT) .

- KMS early start

Following your very good summary I just deleted the MODULES= line from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf altogether (initially it contained "radeon", following some old suggestion in wiki) and now the error is gone. I don't know how to test whether AGP is actually running but AGP and radeon are mentioned several times in the boot log and I can see no further problems. Thank you very much for your help.
PS. No suggestion in man mkinitcpio.conf that MODULES= and HOOKS= are actually related the way you said ... smile

#10 2014-08-16 12:00:37

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

PS. No suggestion in man mkinitcpio.conf that MODULES= and HOOKS= are actually related the way you said

I'm not sure if it's stated explicitly somewhere, but there are lots of hints that is the case.

Check the filesystems hook description in the Mknitcpio.conf#Common_hooks section

Board footer