You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-18 14:10:57

tbhartman

Corrupted graphics on Lenovo R60

I have had arch installed on my R60 for several years now.  A few days ago I had an issue (I forget exactly what happened, but likely a freeze due to Firefox) during which I decided to power off abruptly (hold power button for 4 sec).  I had already gotten through the first three steps of REISUB but did not do SUB.  I have three partitions.  \ and \boot are on an SSD, \home is on a HDD.  root and home are encrypted with LUKS.

When I power on now, the BIOS screen has some corrupted characters at the bottom (words which explain how to enter the BIOS setup).  The boot menu comes up OK; then goes away and I get some lines printed to the screen before being prompted for the passphrase for the root partition.  At this point, all characters on the screen are gibberish (mostly white pixelated boxes).  I can enter my passphrase OK, the screen refreshes and all the startup processes scroll down the screen.  At this point the login manager (LXDM I believe, but I'm not at my laptop now) takes over.  I get the login screen, but cannot login.  I switch to TTY2 and can login, but after a few minutes, or when switching back to the GUI, the computer freezes and I cannot do anything.  Tried REISUB at this point and it is useless.

Looking for some help with this one.  I can still get to my data, but would rather not do a fresh install.  Any ideas what happened?  Where do I start troubleshooting?  I will try at some point to boot from a live linux USB, but have limited time to mess with it for several weeks here.  The fact that my BIOS screen is messed up makes me believe the problem is much more involved than an X setting, or even a linux problem.

Thanks
-tbh

Board footer