You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-23 19:40:04

miroamr78

AutoMounting Disks at Startup

I know how to mount disks at startup, you go to the disks utility and configure mount options accordingly for each disk you want to mount on startup ..
Well, when I rebooted to test that, the disks were mounted but when I tried to access them, I couldn't. After navigating to them from the command line and issuing an "ls -lh" command I noticed it was owned by root. I tried to change permissions (chmod), owners (chown), but that didn't help. Note: I know the root password ..

Last edited by miroamr78 (2014-08-23 19:40:47)

#2 2014-08-23 19:48:24

MoonSwan

Re: AutoMounting Disks at Startup

I (and all other would-be helpers) have no idea what you're talking about.  What "disk utility" are you referring to?  Do you use a WM or DE?  What are your computer's specs?  How about a listing of your disks and the /etc/fstab file (at a minimum)?  We can't help you if we are unable to ascertain some very basic facts.

Edit:  Please look at this page How to ask questions the smart way.

Last edited by MoonSwan (2014-08-23 19:51:00)

#3 2014-08-23 20:02:03

miroamr78

@MoonSwan I mean the gnome-disks program

http://s30.postimg.org/4ohxtrfht/Screen … _03_37.png

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

Last edited by miroamr78 (2014-08-23 20:07:04)

#4 2014-08-23 20:15:18

emeres

You are going to $(echo ssip | rev) off moderators or the administrator. Read the forum etiquette. You need to mount ntfs volumes with the permissions you want to have, using dmask and fmask for example.

man mount.ntfs-3g

#5 2014-08-23 20:21:05

miroamr78

@emeres: I know how to mount them. I can access the data on the disks by mounting them manually. However, when I mark them for auto mounting on boot using gnome-disks, the folders they're mounted at are owned by root and have the permissions: drxw------

#6 2014-08-23 20:26:56

emeres

Then the configuration of gnome-disks needs to be changed or was my post not clear enough?

#7 2014-08-23 20:32:34

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Not a Sysadmin issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2014-08-24 00:36:59

ewaller
Administrator

Ask yourself, what does that program do?  Personally, I have no idea -- but I can guess that it messes with the /etc/fstab file.

See if that file has changed since you created it.  You might post it here.  Also, you might post the output of mount

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2014-08-24 00:40:24

miroamr78

mount outputs nothing. Also, how do I add mount options from gnome-disks ?

#10 2014-08-24 01:04:47

ewaller
Administrator

miroamr78 wrote:

mount outputs nothing.

Really?  I find that practically impossible to believe.  You still did not provide the contents of /etc/fstab.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#11 2014-08-24 01:14:34

ewaller
Administrator

ewaller wrote:
miroamr78 wrote:

mount outputs nothing.

Really?  I find that practically impossible to believe.

Perhaps I was not as specific as I might be.  I am not referring to the output of the mount command when you are trying to hand mount a partition, I mean go to a terminal and just enter mount

ewaller$@$odin ~ 1001 %mount 
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1973596k,nr_inodes=493399,mode=755)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda8 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda2 on /mnt/disk type jfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda9 on /mnt/smalldisk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda5 on /boot type ext2 (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda7 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=395340k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=100)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=100)
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1002 %

---

#12 2014-08-24 16:12:01

miroamr78

mount outputs:

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1020012k,nr_inodes=255003,mode=755)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=204548k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=100)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=100)
/dev/sda2 on /run/media/miroamr78/Laboratory type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda1 on /run/media/miroamr78/Courses type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)

Note that: /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 are the ones I want to mount, and they were mounted when this command was run

Last edited by miroamr78 (2014-08-24 16:13:02)

#13 2014-08-24 16:14:37

miroamr78

cat /etc/fstab

outputs:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>	<dir>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
# /dev/sda3
UUID=2268132b-7cfa-4c55-b773-467c4f691e83	/         	ext4      	rw,relatime,data=ordered	0 1

#14 2014-08-24 16:57:57

ewaller
Administrator

Well, they are certainly not in your /etc/fstab.   

I have no idea how the gnome-disks program works, nor do I care to figure it out.  I am looking at your machine state and I see that /dev/sda[1-2] are mounted as type fuseblk; I did not expect that.  I thought you had been trying to mount ntfs, but in re-reading the thread, I don't know where I got that impression -- perhaps one of the edits changed the context hmm   Regardless, what are the file systems on those partitions? 

As to how gnome-disks does its magic -- are you booting to a console, or are you going straight into Gnome through a login manager like gdm?  I am starting to think the mounting behavior is a function of the Gnome environment.  Is there a particular reason for using gnome-disks for this task, or are you open to a more general approach that is desktop environment agnostic?  IMHO, this mount task should be implemented by proper configuration of the fstab file

---

#15 2014-08-24 18:50:29

miroamr78

Here's gnome-disks if you're interested ..
I searched the man page of mount to find if these configuration options exist there: nosuid,ro or if they have anything to do with that ..
Turns out these options are added to /etc/fstab when mounting simply to configure the filesystem's behavior, so I studied the mount man page to finally realize that I needed to add the "user" option to allow non-root users to access the disks from within the file explorer. Thanks, anyways smile

Last edited by miroamr78 (2014-08-24 18:51:34)

#16 2014-08-24 22:06:26

emeres

I would follow ewallers suggestion and do it directly through filesystem table, should you switch DEs you might end up doing it anyway. Fstab is then parsed by systemd-fstab-generator and translated into mount services.

Should you consider this issue solved, then please mark the thread as such.

Board footer