You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-22 13:04:59

madman_xxx

Fresh install F2FS + USB stick fails to boot

Hello,

I've installed Arch by following the standard guide and it went well. The USB stick is partitioned as follows:

/dev/sdb1: FAT32, BOOT flag, ~200MB
/dev/sdb2: F2FS, ~7800MB

The extra packages added during installation included mc.
Later, I followed this guide to install the GRUB boot loader.

For some reason the system won't boot; it hangs on service systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service:

"Creating volatile files and directories"

By "hangs" I mean the system is waiting for the service to start (red asterisks & timer)

If I boot into rescue.target I can manually run the systemd-tmpfiles with the system unit parameters and it starts successfully. This implies the mounting of root filesystem.
What I noticed, no logs under /var/log are created...

Can anyone help me with starting this service?

EDIT: First, I tried MBR + UEFI, but later moved to MBR partition table + boot record - both give the same results.

Last edited by madman_xxx (2014-06-25 12:42:35)

#2 2014-06-26 13:39:31

15goudreau

Re: Fresh install F2FS + USB stick fails to boot

I am having a similar issue with UEFI, I haven't tried MBR yet. Except I don't get the asterisks and Timer, it just cycles the D-bus or something like that. If you check out the thread I started, it may point you to some troubleshooting tips. I didn't have any luck though

#3 2014-06-26 21:03:41

madman_xxx

My issue was not UEFI-related.
I worked around this problem - instead of using F2FS for the whole system, I use ext4 as root partition and F2FS for /home - this solved the booting issue.

#4 2014-08-02 09:48:50

biciklanto

Seems to be the same problem I have run into (F2FS on a SSD). "A start job is running for Create Volatile Files and Directories ...", booting goes on and on.
My workaround so far:
In /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf I commented out two lines:
z /var/log/journal 2755 root systemd-journal - -
z /var/log/journal/%m 2755 root systemd-journal - -
In /etc/fstab, in the line about the F2FS partition, I removed the options user_xattr and acl
In the directory /var/log, journal had "drwxr-sr-x+", user "root", group "systemd-journal". I moved that away and made a new one, similar but without the "+" behind the rights.
By all this, I am able to login now (and /var/log/journal/ contains a subdir now, in which a system.journal has grown). So I think the problem somehow has to do with access control on this directory, but I am not exactly sure what I have done by this workaround and whether it is dangerous.
Can anyone say how to really solve the issue?

#5 2014-08-25 19:11:43

madman_xxx

I wouldn't bother much with F2FS now, as (according to Wikipedia) the F2FS is not a stable file system yet. Will come back to this issue in the future... Probably...

Board footer