You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-26 04:54:40

pantasio

Switch Arch USB HDD between home and work

My hardware between home enroviment and work enroviment is diffence: mainboard, Vga.   The same RAM

My ideal is work anywhere.
Solution:
1/ switch bootloader: Chose enroviment Home or Work 

2/ partition theme is the same or change a lillte bit
     200 MB ------boot  ---- pri
     20   GB ------Root  ---- pri
     4     GB ------swap ---- logical
     120 GB ------home ---- logical           ( share between home enroviment and work enroviment)

3/ fstab using UUIDs. So may be no need to change

4/ Regenerate kernel image. No ideal

Migrate Installation to New Hardware

Any expert guide me part 1 and 4. thanks for read and sorry my bad english

#2 2014-08-28 06:26:38

scryan

Re: Switch Arch USB HDD between home and work

You don't really have to do anything. I have a USB drive on my keychain with two Arch installs, a 32 bit and a 64 bit.. Both boot bios, then I created a UEFI partion and installed a UEFI bootloader there too. Linux and Arch will handled being booted on different machines and figuring out their hardware fairly well.
Your missing a few specifics, but you shouldn't have any issues installing to an external, then using whatever computer set to boot off the external drive.

It can be helpful to install something like xorg-drivers, so you will have a variety of video and input drivers for whatever computer you may boot up on. You could also just install the specific drivers for each configuration you know you will need.

Beyond that you need to consider 64 bit vs 32 bit, and UEFI vs BIOS.
The work computer may likely be BIOS so if you can boot BIOS at home you only really need to worry about 32bit vs 64 bit...
You can even do a bios install, then create a UEFI partion and install a UEFI boot loader too to handle a booting on both BIOS and UEFI, though finding a UEFI bootloader you can install from a 32bit system seems about impossible.

Let us know the specifics of your setup at home and work (UEFI vs BIOS, 64 vs 32 bit), and whatever other differences or seperation you expect between home and work and I can maybe offer more specific advice.

While this wiki is on installing to a USB key, the section on "Using your USB install on multiple machines" may be relevent.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_to_usb

Last edited by scryan (2014-08-28 06:29:05)

#3 2014-08-28 06:36:23

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Switch Arch USB HDD between home and work

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer