You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-30 06:55:18

L1ghtmareI

[SOLVED]fdisk doesn't detect hard drives

As I'm progressing with installation of Arch, new problems come wink

When trying to partition brand new drive during the installation process, I've ran into problem that the drive isn't detected at all. I have 3 physical drives on this machine, including brand new SSD I want to work with (install Arch on), HDD with Windows and external USB stick which I booted from. However, while running either fdisk -l or lsblk only USB stick was to show up as physical drive. (There were other devices of type "loop" showing up when running lsblk, I don't think that they have smth to do with my issue) Important may be that both internal drives are connected to SATA3 ports, though BIOS can see them (and even boot Windows from) perfectly well.

Googling didn't really help, people were experiencing same problem with external USB hard drives, and the only solution related to Linux was to modify kernel to extend USB storage delay, but there are no parameters like that to work with SATA.

SOLUTION: so the problem seems to be with SATA3, one needs to switch drive loading option from IDE to AHCI in BIOS, though nothing like that is on wiki.
keep creating unnecessary topics :uneasy:

Last edited by L1ghtmareI (2014-08-30 08:56:30)

Board footer