You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-29 13:35:38

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Openrc using /usr/lib/sysctl.d/ for systemwide defaults ?

As you may know i boot with openrc (version 0.13.1-2) , but use systemd for udev .

Recently there have been tmpfiles related errors when booting openrc, and i've kept an eye on the openrc boot log in /var/log/rc.log .

This morning i saw no more error messages, but noticed something else :

* Configuring kernel parameters ...
* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf ...
kernel.core_pattern = |/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e
* Applying /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf ...
kernel.sysrq = 16
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0
net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.promote_secondaries = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.promote_secondaries = 1
fs.protected_hardlinks = 1
fs.protected_symlinks = 1
 [ ok ]

I can't find any install message, arch news item, arch-dev ML post or an entry in upstream systemd news  about switching from /etc/sysctl.d/ to /usr/lib/sysctl.d/ for systemwide default settings.

I searched /var/log/pacman.log for anything related to sysctl.d and found this :

pacman.log wrote:

[2014-06-23 21:11] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] :: coredumps are no longer sent to the journal by default. To re-enable:
[2014-06-23 21:11] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]    echo >/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf \
[2014-06-23 21:11] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]        "kernel.core_pattern=|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e"
[2014-06-23 21:11] [PACMAN] upgraded systemd (213-9 -> 214-2)===

In current systemd 216-1 , there's a file /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf with that exact content.

Atm i'm not sure how to continue :

- if openrc does things wrong, i should contact openrc devs
- if systemd did silently change sysctl.d folder for default systemwide settings , i should make sure arch devs are aware of the change
- incase i overlooked an announcement about this, then i should humbly apologise to all readers of this topic.

EDIT :
Title changed

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2014-08-30 09:28:55)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#2 2014-08-29 13:50:51

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: Openrc using /usr/lib/sysctl.d/ for systemwide defaults ?

Nothing has changed. systemd has used /usr/lib/sysctl.d since the feature was introduced to systemd.

You've oddly elected not to post the tmpfiles errors you're asking about, but I assume it has to do with users that we rely on systemd-sysusers to create now (instead of the filesystem package).

#3 2014-08-29 14:22:36

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

falconindy wrote:

You've oddly elected not to post the tmpfiles errors you're asking about, but I assume it has to do with users that we rely on systemd-sysusers to create now (instead of the filesystem package).

Apg has created patches for those errors (he also submitted them upstream) which are included in his openrc aur pacakge, so those errors are dealt with.
I put it there to add some background info.

falconindy wrote:

Nothing has changed. systemd has used /usr/lib/sysctl.d since the feature was introduced to systemd.

Any idea when that was, or where it was announced ?

Also, a quick search didn't reveal much info about which folders under /usr are used for systemwide default settings that are applied before the /etc/ folders .

I am aware of the ones below,   (note they are in different places under /usr ) but there are likely many more.

/usr/lib/sysctl.d/  before /ect/sysctl.d
/usr/lib/systemd/system/ before  /etc/systemd/system/
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d before /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Note :
Apart from my own systems booting with openrc, i also help 3 friends with maintaining their archlinux / systemd / kde systems,
so i try to keep my knowledge of openrc as PID1 & systemd as PID1 uptodate.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#4 2014-08-29 15:09:23

ewaller
Administrator

Moved to System Administration by request.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2014-08-29 16:17:51

apg
Developer

OpenRC recently changed, not systemd.  They started using `sysctl --system` which searches the additional directories.  https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/commit … 53e97893a6

#6 2014-08-30 12:50:06

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Thanks for clarifying that, apg .
I've edited the title.

It seems openrc users will have to check whether systemd provided files like /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf pose  a problem.

Board footer