You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-01 16:46:58

youngmit

Configuring UEFI settings in windows

This is a bit outside the purview of arch specifically, but you guys are probably smarter than those on the average windows forum, so i thought i'd ask around here first. I am looking for a tool to configure UEFI boot settings from within Windows. Right now, i am dual booting Arch and W8.1 with UEFI, and everything is working quite well. From the linux side, i have a little script that uses efibootmgr to change the boot priority to Windows first and then reboot. This makes it so that I dont have to catch my computer during the boot sequence to make sure that it boots into windows when i wish to do so. I would like to do the same from the Windows side, so i can get back into linux easier, but i haven't been able to find a tool similar to efibootmgr for windows that will allow me to change the boot order from within the OS. All searches I've tried just lead to people trying to get UEFI working in the first place. Some refer to bcdedit.exe, which seems like it might be able to do what I want, but the documentation is limited, and it seems like most of it pertains to windows-specific boot options. Anyone know of a simple tool for changing basic UEFI settings, such as the boot order and boot next?

Thanks!

#2 2014-09-01 17:02:11

dice

Re: Configuring UEFI settings in windows

I actually don't understand why you need such a tool for windows.
You say that you change boot order from linux to get into windows on next boot easily. So by default your computer boots into linux? Where is the problem then?

When you are on arch change 'boot next' to your windows loader. Reboot -> windows -> reboot  -> arch

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#3 2014-09-01 17:10:57

youngmit

That's a good question. I'd like it from both sides since I do change the default boot order from time to time, based on what I am most using my computer for at the time. Sometimes I have it default to windows, but need to pop over to Linux to do something, sometimes the other way around. Obviously this isn't super critical; I'm just wondering if anyone knew of something of the top of their head.

#4 2014-09-01 17:25:52

dice

Okay i'm not that windows guru and do all my uefi config through arch. But a quick google search brought up this article which seems to have the info you need.
Otherwise I don't think you will get much windows support here

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#5 2014-09-01 17:30:47

youngmit

I had seen that article, but all of those appear to affect only the windows boot loader, rather than the UEFI settings. Bummer. thanks though

Board footer