You are not logged in.

#26 2006-02-18 01:29:48

lydgate

Re: New: mlocate, faster drop-in for slocate

The author of mlocate contacted me over aim and told me that the permissions problem was on his end.  He has fixed it, and now you can get version 0.13, either from my site here (binaries/PKGBUILD files) or from the AUR.

Important: If you previously added your users to the mlocate group, you must remove them.  Doing this circumvented the previously present permissions problem (sorry, i love alliteration), however it also allowed any users you placed in that group to see anyone's files (e.g., making it like locate instead of slocate).  For most regular users this is not an issue, but still, for security you should remove your users from this group, either with gpasswd, or you could alternately remove the package and install the new one, which will destroy/remake the group and effectively make sure everyone is out of it.[/b]

#27 2006-02-18 02:14:14

stonecrest

I'm afraid that nothing changed over here with the latest PKGBUILD. The mlocate dir is still owned by root.root with 750 permissions and so I cannot use locate as user.

I am a gated community.

#28 2006-02-18 05:32:11

IceRAM
Website

My question might appear weird but... WHY do I need to create YET another group for this application? Does it imply security problems or something similar?

I don't remember locate requiring something like this. Disclaimer: I might be missing something relevant here, about the inner working of mlocate.

#29 2006-02-18 10:35:45

lydgate

IceRAM wrote:

My question might appear weird but... WHY do I need to create YET another group for this application? Does it imply security problems or something similar?

I don't remember locate requiring something like this. Disclaimer: I might be missing something relevant here, about the inner working of mlocate.

Slocate has a slocate group. Mlocate has a mlocate group. You only need the group for whichever one you're using. You don't need to create it; installing the package is enough. You don't even need to add your user to it.

#30 2006-02-18 12:03:18

Mythoz

Just installed mlocate 0.13-1 package. Normal users cannot access /usr/var/mlocate/mlocate.db. There are two reason for this: · Directory /usr/var/mlocate has wrong group 'root'; should be 'mlocate'.
-> Note: Normal users are still not able to access the database with 'locate'
· To correct this, the group of /usr/bin/locate must be changed to 'mlocate' and the setgid permission must be set (chmod g+s /usr/bin/locate)!

$ ll /usr/bin/locate 
-rwxr-sr-x  1 root mlocate 22596 2006-02-18 12:41 /usr/bin/locate

#31 2006-02-24 19:43:15

lydgate

Okay, permissions should be completely working, and mlocate has been updated to 0.14.  Please let me know if there are any problems!

You may need to rm -r /usr/var/mlocate as root, the package should write the correct permissions and groups of these files now.

You should reverse any changes you made to make the old mlocate work with its wrong permissions.  ShadowHand had created his own 21 slocate group, if you have done something like this, please, instead of upgrading, pacman -R mlocate, undo any changes, rm -r /usr/var/mlocate and then pacman -U the new package.  Sorry I suck at PKGBUILDing.

Board footer