You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-25 13:07:38

Birdman

Xorg 7 + KDE issues

I have browsed through the current issues and problems that people are having but as yet have been unable to sort out these problems:

When kdm starts up there is a delay of several seconds whilst the background is loaded (the login box is there but does not become active until the background is in place). This was not a problem prior to the upgrade. Also, when exiting out of KDE the same delays occur again whilst kdm resets itself.

KDE does not remember the display settings on exit. They have to be manually reset (I could manually edit the xorg.conf to remove the higher resolutions, but it used to work fine)

The scroll wheel no longer works. I have made the recommended change from auto and tried both IMPS/2 and Explorer/2 to no avail.

Thanks.

#2 2006-02-25 13:58:02

mtrivs

Re: Xorg 7 + KDE issues

as for the scroll problem:
add the following to your xorg.conf in the section which contains your mouse:

Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

here is what mine looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "USB Mouse"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option         "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Buttons" "9"
EndSection

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

#3 2006-02-25 18:28:21

Birdman

Thanks for the tip.

I have now sorted it, but it is rather bizarre the way things went.

I started to fiddle with the xorg.conf, changing the ZAxisMapping and device name etc. I eventually went back to the original setting and X would not run  :shock:  So, I upgraded to the lastest version of hwd and ran 'hwd -x'. Made the necessary changes for the nvidea driver and everything is working fine now  big_smile  Quite what went wrong in the middle section I do not know - just glad that hwd was there to sort things out for me.

#4 2006-02-25 18:48:48

LB06

About the mouse wheel: you probably set protocol to auto, which is no longer supported. We're supposed to use ExplorerPS/2, I think.

#5 2006-02-26 12:12:47

Birdman

LB06 wrote:

About the mouse wheel: you probably set protocol to auto, which is no longer supported. We're supposed to use ExplorerPS/2, I think.

Yep. That is one change I actually did make - which makes it all the stranger why things weren't working :?  Having dipped into so many threads and changed loads of files and settings I must have messed something up. A fresh xorg.conf from hwd and a reboot seemed to sort it. It is always nice to know what you did to break it and then put it right  smile  The worrying thing is it was a computer I was setting up for someone else (now is running beautifully) and I haven't yet done the upgrade on my own box. I've got that to look forward to  smile

Board footer