You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-28 16:19:28

fernando_costa

[SOLVED] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro wireless issues

Hi folk,

I'm trying Arch on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and by far my most anoying issue is with network.

I already blacklisted ideap_laptop module and, once I did that, network started working on Gnome (in text mode I had to "rfkill unblock wifi" to get it working), but event thought it's working it's way inferior to the quality I get on Windows. Inferior to the point I have to switch back to Windows...

I don't get much log for any too obvious issue on wifi, except for the USB:

usb 2-7 unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start: -71
     usb 2-7 can't read configurations, error -71

Did anyone managed to find a solution?

Regards,

Last edited by fernando_costa (2014-03-29 04:54:16)

#2 2014-03-29 04:34:03

fernando_costa

Re: [SOLVED] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro wireless issues

Some more info:

01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 6b)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless-N 7260
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

And another weird thing, when I unload and then reload the iwlwifi module, tha network gets better... Still far away from being good, but usable.

#3 2014-03-29 04:38:41

WonderWoofy

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179055  <- This thread suggests that power_save might be on by default.

#4 2014-03-29 04:52:14

fernando_costa

Thanks, WonderWoofy. I've run some tests and that configuration really improved performance... though I cannot say wireless became stable.

Anyway, that's good enough. Changing this topic to solved and updating the wiki.

Regards,

#5 2014-06-14 16:48:59

brix

WonderWoofy wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179055  <- This thread suggests that power_save might be on by default.

In that thread forshark wrote:

In addition to the firmware update, I had to add the following:

/etc/udev/rules.d/80-iwlwifi.rules

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="<your_mac_address>", RUN+="/usr/bin/iw dev %k set power_save off"

This disables power saving on the card. So I would say this card is still buggy, but it is functional.

This workaround really helped me, too, when I first installed on a Yoga 2 Pro back in April. Suddenly, however, AN 7260 wifi seems to work fine with power management permanently on as per the kernel default.

I don't know which update from the standard (non-testing) repos has apparently resolved the issue (linux 3.14.6-1, maybe), but in the course of doing a little system maintenance yesterday I discovered I now get what seems to be perfectly acceptable performance from my Yoga 2 Pro's Intel 7260 without the above udev-actuated workaround. YMMV, but I currently don't detect any difference in wifi performance between power_save on and off.

________
[edit] CORRECTION: This is just weird: after several reboots I discover all the above is true, except that the udev rule is still needed to start things off at boot with "power_save off". After that I'm not detecting any difference in wifi performance between the conditions

$ iw wlp1s0 get power_save
Power save: on

and

$ iw wlp1s0 get power_save
Power save: off

And yes, the 'on' condition persists over time despite the udev rule. If I reboot without the udev rule switching powersaving off, performance is poor and connections unreliable whenever "power_save on" is set, while "power_save off" restores normal performance. Of course this may have been true from the beginning, independent of later system updates...

Last edited by brix (2014-06-14 19:12:04)

Enough is more.

#6 2014-09-08 16:29:13

brix

The latest firmware package update

linux-firmware 20140828.13eb208-1

seems to have fixed the problem.

After removing the workaround (udev rule disabling wireless power management) days ago, I've yet to experience the previous flakiness when running with wifi power management enabled.

Enough is more.

Board footer