You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-09 20:06:32

sandy8925

Unable to boot from USB hard drive through USB 3.0 port, on Asus K53TA

This isn't an Arch Linux issue per se, but more of an issue with booting from my external hard drive.

The laptop BIOS doesn't seem to recognize my external USB hard drive through the USB 3.0 port at all. It works fine when I'm fully booted into an OS like Windows or Arch Linux, but the BIOS doesn't recognize it at boot time, and it doesn't show up in the boot menu at all.

The BIOS does recognize the hard drive if it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port, and I can even boot from the external hard drive there.

One strange thing I've noticed is that I can plug in a flash drive in the USB 3.0 port and the BIOS seems to recognize it then. So, it's either a problem with the hard drive, or a BIOS deficiency.

The external hard drive use GPT and not MBR, so I am wondering if that's the reason the BIOS doesn't recognize it at boot time.

#2 2014-09-10 11:26:06

emeres

Re: Unable to boot from USB hard drive through USB 3.0 port, on Asus K53TA

Should you have another drive with a MBR, use it to rule that issue out. Alternatively create a GPT on the flash drive and try to boot from it.
 What options are there for the usb controller/boot priorities/order/options? Does the laptop recognize the usb flash when already in bios setup? Should there be any form of choosing the device to boot, use that with the flash drive in the socket, then switch it with the external drive.

Board footer