You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-27 15:03:30

Divù

C+<SPC> doesn't work (Emacs)

Hi all, i'm new to arch (and to linux in general) so please guide me well... i'm taking low steps lo learn the basics

I'm using an Hp mini 110 computer, running Arch with only the base group. (no GUI either for the moment)

My Emacs doesn't recognize the Ctrl+space command... it works fine with M+x set-mark-command, but not with the "shortcut".
I don't have ibus, so i don't know what else could it be the cause....

And in the org-mode, it doesn't recognize the Shift+Tab or Shift+right/left arrow key either...

#2 2014-05-27 15:53:38

ewaller
Administrator

Re: C+<SPC> doesn't work (Emacs)

Does emacs tell you that that C-space is undefined, or does it just ignore you?
Does Ctrl-H b (show key bindings) indicate that C-space is bound to set-mark-command?

Either the key binding is not what you think it is, or your window manager is intercepting the key sequence rather than sending them to the window (emacs)

Another way to test this is to run emacs on the console (not inside an X environment) and see if it has the same behavior.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-05-27 16:33:38

Divù

it just ignore me,
i've found out that the key bind is actually Ctrl-@, but it doesn't work either...
can i somehow change the keybinding permanently?

edit: in the end of the Help buffer, under "Function key map translation", the key "C-@" is binded to "C-SPC".....but in "Major Mode Bindings" the key SPC is binded to scroll-up-command...

Last edited by Divù (2014-05-27 16:48:01)

#4 2014-05-27 16:50:20

ewaller
Administrator

Place some lisp commands in ~/.emacs to rebind keys globally.  Here are some of mine:

(global-set-key (kbd "\M-/") 'ac-start)
(global-set-key (kbd "<insert>") 'clipboard-yank)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-<insert>") 'clipboard-kill-ring-save)
(global-set-key (kbd "<pause> s") 'speedbar)
(global-set-key (kbd "<pause> c") 'compile)
(global-set-key (kbd "<pause> <pause>") 'shell)
(global-set-key (kbd "<Scroll_Lock>") 'other-frame)
(global-unset-key (kbd "C-z") )

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2014-05-27 17:30:20

Divù

i've tried this:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-SPC") 'set-mark-command)
(global-unset-key (kbd "C-@") )

And with Ctrl-h b now i see that C-SPC is the key for set-mark-command, but it doesn't work again...

#6 2014-05-27 17:42:49

ewaller
Administrator

How about when it is run on a console without Xorg running?
Also, when you type C-space does emacs tell you it is not defined, or does the keystroke do nothing?

---

#7 2014-05-27 22:12:36

jakobcreutzfeldt

Sanity check: run "emacs -Q" and check if it works.

#8 2014-05-27 22:31:53

Divù

when it is run with fundamental, without any mode running, it's the same...
When i type C-space emacs doesn't tell me anything, it just work like i use a normal space...

I've also tried to insert some other command in the .emacs file (like C-ì or many other) to set the mark, but none of them worked...
The strange thing is that even when i try to use it in other means (like Ctrl-h k to see what is supposed to do) the Ctrl never shows up... if i type ctrl-h k, and then ctrl-space, it shows me what the space command is intended to do, skipping the Ctrl!
Same thing with composed command (like ctrl-x ctrl-space.... it shows as i had typed ctrl-x space...)

Maybe the problem is in the ctrl? But it works just fine with all the other commands... (or the other that i've used so far...)

Sorry for my bad english (and than the bad explanation), and thanks for the help smile

edit: i've tried both emacs -q and emacs -Q, opened in both cases (Gnu emacs buffer in the first case, scratch in the second)

Last edited by Divù (2014-05-27 22:33:45)

#9 2014-05-27 22:49:26

ewaller
Administrator

Did you try it with the other Ctrl key? 
I missed the fact that this is from the console. Sorry about that hmm
Is this inside a virtual machine, or are you running native?

---

#10 2014-05-27 22:54:23

Divù

i'm running native, and i've tried with both of the Ctrl.. both of them works fine with other commands, but doesn't respond on that one...

#11 2014-08-17 10:52:43

archie84

Bump.
I've got the exact same problem: when using emacs in a console C+<SPC> just inserts a space (but C+<other keys> works, so it is not a <Ctrl> problem).
However if I use it under X it works fine: C+<SPC> calls the set-mark function as it is supposed to.
Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

#12 2014-09-12 17:02:25

Sanjeev K Sharma

I'm getting this behaviour with openjdk8 running a web collaboration  application

verified several times- app starts, C-SPC stops

(adding later: the openjdk8 app had a config and buried deep in there,  it was grabbing C-SPC)

(adding some keywords so people can fin this later:  Elluminate Blackboard play.collab)

Last edited by Sanjeev K Sharma (2014-09-13 00:05:45)

Board footer