You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-12 20:48:41

xExekut3x

Unprivileged User for Minecraft

I'm working on setting up an FTB Minecraft server. I want to create an non-privileged user for running it. I've added the lines from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sudo under Tips and Tricks.

"This example is especially helpful for those using terminal multiplexers like screen, tmux, or ratpoison, and those using sudo from scripts/cronjobs:"

I have /, /boot, /opt, and /home on their own partitions. I'd like to place everything Minecraft related in /opt/minecraft.

This is what I'm thinking of using to create my user.

useradd -M -d /opt/minecraft -s /usr/bin/nologin minecraft

or

useradd  -r -M -d /opt/minecraft minecraft

As I understand it, -r is for creating system users for daemons/services, which I'm guessing is the one I want to use since I don't plan on logging in with this account or ever using it, really, except for an init script to handle Minecraft.

Would I need to create a minecraft group for this minecraft user? If so, I'm guessing I would run these commands:

groupadd minecraft
usermod -aG minecraft minecraft

Would this suffice for creating a non-privileged user to run a Minecraft init script that uses tmux and runs Minecraft from /opt/minecraft?

#2 2014-09-12 23:50:07

xExekut3x

Re: Unprivileged User for Minecraft

Nevermind. Didn't realize there was a MC server AUR. Using that instead of worrying about all of this.

Board footer