You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-12 23:14:43

lboyer

Very slow internet connection during pacstrap

I am trying to install Arch and for some reason my download speeds are in the 50K/s range which is no where near my 5M max. I tested on a virtual machine before I started and didn't encounter this problem. I have tried changing my nameservers to google " 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4" and switching and commenting out addresses in my mirrorlist all of which are in my country.  This still didn't effect speeds. I also tried disabling from a post I've read but that still didn't help.

Also, it frequently starts out at a resonable speed then slows down, sometimes even to 0 where it would give me a " connection to slow " error. It would then drop down to the next mirror and just give errors until the last where it would then just stop the installation.

Last edited by lboyer (2014-09-12 23:17:00)

#2 2014-09-12 23:49:11

lboyer

Re: Very slow internet connection during pacstrap

Ok so I disabled the WPA secruity on my router and that made it go way faster. Why would that make it slow and is there anything I can do to fix it?

#3 2014-09-13 08:16:50

Chais

Re: Very slow internet connection during pacstrap

I'm assuming you ran Windows before? The thing about testing in a VM is that you don't get a hold of the actual hardware and the virtual adapters are well supported.

# lsusb

or

# lspci

might tell you what chipset your wireless adapter is using. Sadly not all work really well with Linux. And a slow and/or flaky connection is something that could be caused by a not-so-well supported wireless adapter.
If you can just go by ethernet you might do so for the install and bother with the wireless adapter afterwards.

--
Chais

Board footer