You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-14 09:43:56

ojkwon

SSH shell typing lag when server's using wireless

I've just setup initial archlinux installation, started opensshd with default setting without modifying any configuration.

First I've enable netctl-auto to use wireless connection (11n 5Ghz) in archlinux, after that I've connected ssh shell using my 2 machines (1 wired, 1 wireless) and observed noticeable typing lags in remote shell regardless of connection client uses. As soon as I replace wireless network to wired one on archlinux those problem goes away completely.

Suspected basic thing such as network load, or latency but there weren't significant differences between wired / wireless, not sure why only occurs when server uses wireless connection.

May I possibly ask for some help to find out any clues?

#2 2014-09-14 11:46:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: SSH shell typing lag when server's using wireless

I'm not very qualified to answer this - but I have recently run into one problem that is suprisingly common: a lot of commonly available wireless routers can loose 90-95% of their speed/bandwidth as soon as a second device tries to connect.  Have you previously had multiple devices on your wireless network, and can they all get reasonable transfer rates?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-09-14 15:26:32

firecat53
Website

Sorry, this will not directly solve your problem, but if you try installing mosh on both your server and laptop it might help with the latency issues. You can also investigate power saving settings on the wireless card on the server. It's possible that it might be sleeping too often.

Scott

#4 2014-09-14 17:02:42

ojkwon

@Trilby - Interesting, actually there are more than 10 devices are connected via wireless to my router but in my case I haven't experienced any other perf drops other than this issue.

@firecate53 - Thanks for suggestion. Before posting this I also tried Mosh with MobaXterm as client (client system is windows) which did not show any big differences. Cas of power saving I didn't thought in that way at all, will take a look.

Board footer