You are not logged in.

#151 2014-09-17 21:03:28

VikingGe

Re: [Official] broadcom-wl thread

So I got my HP EliteBook 725 and I'm already running into a hell lot of problems, and one of them is getting the broadcom driver to work.

Device is:

02:00.0 Network Controller [0280]: Broadcm Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]

which has, according to this list, no native support in Linux 3.16, so I'm kind of forced to use wl until 3.17 lands in [core].
Which, as you might guess, doesn't work. The interface shows up in iwconfig with the module loaded:

wlo1      IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any
          Mode: Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated  Tx-Power=200 dBm
          Retry short limit:7  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

However, when trying to run a scan:

wl01      No scan results

Nothing, when it should show about four different networks. Of course, connecting to a network doesn't work either.

dmesg is full of those:

[981.095141] wl 0000:02:00.0: no hotplug settings from platform
[981.095876] wl 0000:02:00.0: no hotplug settings from platform
[981.096819] wl 0000:02:00.0: no hotplug settings from platform

I really don't have the slightest idea what's wrong here. Any ideas what I could try?

-----------------
Problem solved:
Installed latest GIT kernel, disabled hardware IOMMU support (which caused some trouble with the b43 driver, issuing some INVALID_DEVICE_REQUESTs) and that thing is up and running. Screw the official drivers.

-----------------
Problem solved even better:
Replaced Broadcom card by the Atheros card from my old netbook due to Broadcom's horrible performance and stability issues on both Linux and Windows. Seriously...

Last edited by VikingGe (2014-09-22 16:25:36)

#152 2014-10-07 16:31:24

prakharsingh95

How do I get broadcom-wl to work in linux-pf. I found broadcom-wl-ck, which is excellent for working with linux-ck, but the one for linux-pf is available only in CCR (http://chakraos.org/ccr/packages.php?ID=6519), which is outdated.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

#153 2014-10-15 14:18:30

WonderWoofy

prakharsingh95 wrote:

How do I get broadcom-wl to work in linux-pf. I found broadcom-wl-ck, which is excellent for working with linux-ck, but the one for linux-pf is available only in CCR (http://chakraos.org/ccr/packages.php?ID=6519), which is outdated.

Check out one of the other broadcom-wl PKGBUILDs and then adjust from there.   I am pretty sure that the broadcom-wl-ck AUR package is pretty well maintained, so that would probably be a good one to go off of.  It is just a bash script, so it is fairly easy to read.

You will need to adjust the pkgname, the depends, makedepends, _kernelver, and probably a couple more things. But it shouldn't be too difficult.  It will also probably be a good way to learn how Arch's build scripts work.

#154 2014-10-15 15:10:37

prakharsingh95

WonderWoofy wrote:
prakharsingh95 wrote:

Check out one of the other broadcom-wl PKGBUILDs and then adjust from there.   I am pretty sure that the broadcom-wl-ck AUR package is pretty well maintained, so that would probably be a good one to go off of.  It is just a bash script, so it is fairly easy to read.

You will need to adjust the pkgname, the depends, makedepends, _kernelver, and probably a couple more things. But it shouldn't be too difficult.  It will also probably be a good way to learn how Arch's build scripts work.

Actually, I familiarized myself with ABS when I built my custom kernel. I had assumed that broadcom-wl needed to be patched to work with linux-ck, hence I was looking for a similar one for linux-pf.

But now that you mention it, I read both PKGBUILDs and indeed, the only difference is in package names.

I am lazy and I don't want to go through the whole package.  Can I build the wl for linux-pf myself, just by diffing the PKGBUILDs for wl and wl-ck, editing the patch and replacing all instances of wl-ck with wl-pf (not for dependencies, but for the rest) and then patching the original PKGBUILD?

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

#155 2014-10-17 05:15:55

WonderWoofy

prakharsingh95 wrote:
WonderWoofy wrote:
prakharsingh95 wrote:

Actually, I familiarized myself with ABS when I built my custom kernel. I had assumed that broadcom-wl needed to be patched to work with linux-ck, hence I was looking for a similar one for linux-pf.

But now that you mention it, I read both PKGBUILDs and indeed, the only difference is in package names.

I am lazy and I don't want to go through the whole package.  Can I build the wl for linux-pf myself, just by diffing the PKGBUILDs for wl and wl-ck, editing the patch and replacing all instances of wl-ck with wl-pf (not for dependencies, but for the rest) and then patching the original PKGBUILD?

Just go through and edit the PKGBUILD.  It is really not that hard.  The kernel PKGBUILD is terribly complex, so in comparison the broadcom-wl script should be a piece of cake for you.  Seriously, it will take you just a couple minutes.

Then once you make those changes, you can upload it to the AUR and benefit the rest of the community.  Even if you don't want to keep it, I am sure that there is probably someone else out there who would be willing to adopt a package like that.

Board footer