You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-16 14:32:28

xanb

Installation of archlinux in HP Chromebook 14 (falco)

Hi,

I want to install complete archlinux system on falco and remove chrome os. I see that wiki page, but I'm not sure if I have to switch the bios jumper after or before I install the arch in my falco.

During the wiki page, there is no info about how can I delete chome OS and, more important, when.

Anyone could help me?
Any experience in that?

Thanks in advance,
Xan

Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

#2 2014-09-20 01:12:23

dhead

Re: Installation of archlinux in HP Chromebook 14 (falco)

Hi Xan,

It seems to me that the info on the HP Chromebook 14 is a specific situation when you want to keep ChromeOS.

You might want to try the generic Haswell Chromebook installation guide.

Please update if the generic guide is working for you so we can move out the current info on the HP Chromebook 14.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-20 01:13:02)

#3 2014-09-20 11:49:23

dhead

p.s.

When you getting to the part of fixing the keyboard, instead of following the wiki try.

# sudo nano /etc/udev/hwdb.d/90-chromebook-keyboard-fix.hwdb

Add the following:

# Chromebook 14 fix
keyboard:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnHewlett-Packard*:pnFalco:pvr*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_3b=f1
 KEYBOARD_KEY_3c=f2
 KEYBOARD_KEY_3d=f3
 KEYBOARD_KEY_3e=f4
 KEYBOARD_KEY_3f=f5
 KEYBOARD_KEY_40=f6
 KEYBOARD_KEY_41=f7
 KEYBOARD_KEY_42=f8
 KEYBOARD_KEY_43=f9
 KEYBOARD_KEY_44=f10
 KEYBOARD_KEY_db=leftmeta

Edit:
Run "# sudo udevadm hwdb --update" to update hwdb.bin and run "# sudo udevadm trigger" to reload hwdb.bin, you should get back back F1-F10 and Super.
If this is working for you then it's much better than what described by the wiki page as it will not purged after systemd update.

Next systemd upgrade the hwdb.bin should be re-created with the changes from "/etc/udev/hwdb.d/90-chromebook-keyboard-fix.hwdb".

After that you can follow the Hotkeys section in the Chromebook wiki to get media keys functionality.

Edit 2:
I tested the solution, it should work great.
I also confirmed that systemd installation/upgrade script does rebuild hwdb.bin so there shouldn't be an issue with upgrades.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-20 16:39:21)

#4 2014-09-20 16:56:52

xanb

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Where is the point in Haswell Installation guide which says something about deleting chromeos? Should we add it? Where?

By the other hand, it seems that we have to switch BIOS jumper *after* installing Archlinux, isn't?

Sorry for these basic questions. I just bough my Chromebook.

#5 2014-09-20 17:23:03

dhead

@xanb

I think the installation steps in the HP Chromebook page are confusing, I wouldn't follow them myself.
Instead I think it would be best to follow the Installation on a Haswell Chromebook from the start.

At the step Enabling SeaBIOS it's also explained how to set seabios as default (optional but recommended if you keeping Arch) which requires to remove the
write protect screw (which its location described in the HP Chromebook page).

The installation of Arch is after enabling the seabios and setting it as default.

You can also enable seabios, reboot and try to boot Arch installation media (from usb) and if the Chromebook boot with the installation media without issue then you can reboot again to load Chrome OS and set seabios as default before wiping the SSD as part of the installation process.

You partition the SSD as part of the regular Arch installation process, I added a link to the Beginners Guide to make it a little more clearer, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … tion_media .

Please update if following the Haswell Installation guide goes well so we could remove the confusing info from the HP Chromebook 14 page.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-20 17:24:52)

#6 2014-09-21 11:10:41

xanb

@dhead: thank you very much. You clarify me a lot the installation procedure. When I install archlinux, I will update the guide in case of it needs.

Just a doubt: how can I detect if I have to install x86 or 64 version? I tnink that Celeron 2955U is 64bit, isn't?

#7 2014-09-21 12:14:14

dhead

@xanb

I moved the confusing installation steps from the HP Chromebook 14 page to the generic Chromebook page as alternative installation method, installing Arch while keeping Chrome OS.

You can install both 32bit and 64bit but for the latter you'll need to follow the guide how to manually install grub on the usb drive so it would be best to do that on another Linux machine (though it might be possible to follow the guide in 32bit environment of the installation media (without installing to the ssd) in order to create the 64bit media).

Please remember that trying to boot the installation media doesn't mean you need to make irreversible changes to Chrome OS. You can just  follow "Enabling Developer Mode", "Enabling SeaBIOS" (without making SeaBIOS as default) and create the installation media, reboot and press Ctrl+L to boot to SeaBIOS (to boot ChromeOS press Ctrl+D or just wait).

#8 2014-09-21 16:13:31

xanb

dhead wrote:

@xanb

You can install both 32bit and 64bit but for the latter you'll need to follow the guide how to manually install grub on the usb drive so it would be best to do that on another Linux machine (though it might be possible to follow the guide in 32bit environment of the installation media (without installing to the ssd) in order to create the 64bit media).

What do you mean here?

#9 2014-09-21 16:45:27

dhead

See Chromebook#64-bit_installation.

I looked in the packages list of the installation image and Grub is there so you would be able to create a bootable usb with a Windows machine, boot it on the Chromebook with 32bit rootfs (as the 64bit doesn't work) and in the 32bit environment you could follow the decribed process to create a bootable 64bit installation media.

Edit:
After that you can boot with the 64bit installation media and finally start to install Arch.

Last edited by dhead (2014-09-21 16:47:48)

Board footer