You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-27 14:41:28

aSlocum

rc.d questions and first impressions

Hi all,

Greetings from Germany smile

just installed arch and i love it... install was very easy and painless. (complete install with fully functionall xorg7 and xfce4-svn in about one hour)
i already had some linux experience with gentoo, slackware, xenwalk, ubuntu and some others so im not complete lost. i installed without any howto and it was really easy in my opinion. the rc.conf is well documentated (right word?) and also arch was one of the only distros who loaded the right wifi drivers just out of the box. in may case the hostap ones (prism 2.5 card) ..it also loads that dam*$/"§%§ orinoco but uses the hostap with the right devices (wlan0 and wifi0). really nice because that is not the standart.
i like the concept to start with a very minimal (but functional) system and only install what I want... and not all that the devs (of other distros) think i need...

i just added the orinoco to rc.conf in the blacklist but that wont work?
is this right?

# Scan hardware and load required modules at bootup
MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
# Module Blacklist - modules in this list will never be loaded by hwdetect
MOD_BLACKLIST=(orinoco orinoco_cs hermes)

one thing with rc.d ... for my intel i915gm chipset i must install 855resolution to patch my video bios to 1400x1050. so i installed it via pacman and first started it within the rc.local ... then i see that there is a rc.d/855resolution script which looks into /etc/conf.d/855resolution. so i edited that file to my needs and removed the line from rc.local. but after a reboot 855resolution wont get started?
maybe im just blind but where to add that the /etc/rc.d/855resolution get started by boot?

Bück dich Fee, Wunsch ist Wunsch!

#2 2006-02-27 19:31:01

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: rc.d questions and first impressions

The orinoco/hostap problem is around a while, but I don't think anyone has a solution yet - do a search, hopefully I'm wrong (don't use it myself).

To run any rc.d script at boot-time, add it to the DAEMONS= array in rc.conf.

#3 2006-02-27 19:38:13

aSlocum

Re: rc.d questions and first impressions

thx im just had found it for myself with the daemons.. was a little bit confused  about "daemons" ..since 855resolution is not a daemon smile

blacklist wont work... not sure why not. i tried in the MODULES with !orinoco and in the MOD_BLACKLIST but orinoco always loads... this is not a problem because the hostap ones are used.. but its a little bi annoying and i dont want so many (unused) modules load... quick and dirty solution: i deleted the orinoc modules.. not the fine way but i works..

Bück dich Fee, Wunsch ist Wunsch!

Board footer