You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-28 15:16:46

viniosity
Website

Back to Gnome?

I'm looking for a good full-featured desktop environment that I can use when I want to be super productive at the office.  I need:

Drag and Drop (from firefox/thunderbird especially)
A desktop where I can keep files
Ability to mount remote SMB servers
Simple UI

Gnome is the only one I know that does most of the above.  Any other suggestions? I've heard good things about Rox but I don't know it to say whether it would fit the bill.

#2 2006-02-28 19:48:49

IceRAM
Website

Re: Back to Gnome?

KDE?

... but I still don't understand how Drag & Drop from firefox/thunderbird is usefull (what do you drag from them?)... and what you mean by a "Simple UI"...

You can be superproductive in anything, as long as you know it good enough to configure it properly and you know the way you work.

#3 2006-02-28 21:11:31

Neuro

Exactly, productivity is not dependant on how "friendly" the desktop is, but rather on how well you know it. So if you need something that let's you just do your work, use the things that best suits you.

Personally, KDE is the way to go for me. Of course the integration with Firefox and Thunderbird is crippled, but as soon as you discover the marvels of Konqueror and KMail/Kontact, you're in a tightly integrated, easy to use desktop environment.

#4 2006-02-28 23:21:34

viniosity
Website

Well, right now I'm using scp to grab stuff from remote folders.  Can I do it quickly?  You bet I can.  Do I want to be doing it that way?  Hell no.  I'd rather mount that server and drag/drop that file to my desktop and have it transfer.

KDE is a very nice DE but I'm not a fan for various reasons.  I don't want to start a flame war so let's just not go there.

I've uesd gnome in the past and it seems to have gotten better as 2.14 approaches.  But I wanted to see if there were alternatives.

#5 2006-02-28 23:28:50

scarecrow

I can't recall when I did "pacman -R gnome" in my system, but KDE does all that I need (and I just ignore the existing bloat which I don't need). Not starting any flame war, either. Currently, I keep only KDE and Fluxbox as WM's.
If you like drag+dropping from a web broser, then Konqueror is the ultimate solution- way more integrated to the desktop than anything else, Internet Sexploiter included (and I say that although I still use Firefox as main browser, mainly out of habbit). Gnome may be very fast and sexy, but its VFS when compared to KDE's VFS is simply a neolithic fossil.

Microshaft delenda est

#6 2006-02-28 23:53:03

pikass

You could use fish:// in konqueror and drag what ever you want, no need for scp. Never found a gnome app able to do so. (but maybe there is one..)

#7 2006-03-01 14:20:27

scarecrow

pikass wrote:

(but maybe there is one..)

Sadly enough it isn't. Gnome VFS has no ssh extensions yet.

Microshaft delenda est

#8 2006-03-01 14:29:03

viniosity
Website

I loaded gnome last night (BTW- the Arch way of installing it is fantastic.. finally a gnome install w/out yelp or epiphany!) and the first thing I did was use the connect to server function to mount my remote server (via ssh).  From there I was able to drag/drop files to my desktop.

#9 2006-03-01 23:20:24

iphitus
Forum Fellow

gnome's vfs does have an sftp extension, but it just doesnt seem to work as well as fish.

iphitus

#10 2006-03-02 00:01:00

LB06

I believe Nautilus is able to mount remote SSH/(S)FTP sources (not sure about SMB, though). The problem, however, is that none of the programs are SSH-aware. So yes: I can double click a html file and open and edit it in bluefish or gedit, but when I click on 'save' the file is being saved somewhere in my local /tmp I believe.

Ergo: Gnome/Nautilus is an option, but it's main problem is that none of the apps (or Gnome itself, for that matter) is network-transparant like KDE.

If you do not intend to modify files, just copy them around (I'm talking about music, movies, read-only docs, etc), Nautilus is a plausible imo.

But if you have let's say a php driven website hanging around on that source, nautilus will do more harm than good. You still have to go though the traditional way of editting them: download, edit, upload, test, edit, upload, etc. Major annoyance.

#11 2006-03-02 08:19:06

tor

Gnome VFS do have both smb and sftp support.

The problem, as other people  in this thread says, is that it has not been exercersised to any greater lengths. Fx gedit has not had save support for remote files until the upcomming 2.14 release, which is in my opinion absurd since its part of the core applications. Because of gnomevfs not being used, as much as one would like,i must admit that it is not as stable as one could whish.

An example of an application that makes good use of gnomevfs today is actually bluefish. I use that for all my remote editing purposes.

#12 2006-03-02 10:23:52

Greycloack

I'm not sure how much this will contribute to the ongoing discussion but I usually use sshfs to mount my remote drives, then I can use them with whatever I want.

So if you really want you can use FUSE for this, sshfs is in extra and you can find fusesmb in AUR.

You can probably write a small script to automaticly mount it whenever you log in.

Board footer