You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-30 02:26:02

linuxuser21

Not seeing IDE (PATA) hard drives in USB boot

I use a IDE 20gb hard drive as a "testing" hard drive on my media center before I install or make major changes to it as to make sure everything will work out.  It also has another IDE hard drive which is also not being detected.  I have to use nomodeset and pci=noacpi to boot in correctly.  I've tried modprobe.blacklist=pata_acpi and libata.force=40c; but, neither have worked.  I've read that removing the "pata" hook works; however, this was from a rather old post and I'm not sure which hook they are talking about.  Can I even do this in a live session anyways?

Last edited by linuxuser21 (2014-09-30 02:30:34)

#2 2014-09-30 18:48:36

silverhammermba
Wiki Maintainer

Re: Not seeing IDE (PATA) hard drives in USB boot

You would need to make your own live image, I think. Archboot can help you do that.

#3 2014-09-30 19:17:14

pypi
Wiki Maintainer

Hi!

I don't know much about IDE disks, although I have played around with old laptops with IDE drives; since no one else has replied (EDIT: had replied) I'll have a go.

I'm assuming the "pata" hook is defined in mkinitcpio.conf; see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio. On my system it's not defined, but I may have changed it at some point /:
I don't think it's something you can change in a live CD (USB, in this case) session.

You may have to load the pata_legacy module with modprobe, although I believe it should be autoloaded. You can check whether or not you have any pata modules loaded with:

lsmod | grep pata

You may need a specific module, depending on your hardware.

You could also look at the output of

dmesg | grep ata

to try to see what is going on.

EDIT:

While I'm thinking about it, I have had to use noacpi (noapic?) or apic=off to get one of the older laptops to boot, i.e. recognize the internal IDE drive. It shouldn't be an issue with more modern hardware, but you could play around with that and see whether it makes a difference. Although since you have already disabled acpi for pci, it'll probably not help, depending on how the (not detected) IDE drive is connected internally (Is that right, anyone? How else can IDE drives be connected except via PCI->IDE converters of some sort?).

Hopefully this is vaguely helpful, not misleading...

pypi

Last edited by pypi (2014-10-01 19:00:50)

#4 2014-10-01 00:31:00

nomorewindows

I have IDE drives that boot with just the block umbrella hook.  It used to be differentiated, but I think block now takes care of that. Nomodeset is for your video card.  Maybe you don't have the correct video card drivers.  If you boot into console that shouldn't even matter.  USB boot as in a drive in a USB enclosure with your IDE drive inside?  Probably the hook you need is usb.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2014-10-01 00:34:03)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer