You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-14 10:06:06

Bobonov

pacman and pacman -Syu

I was 100% sure I already posted this message but it is not here, I think I have done something terribly wrong with the submit button.  :oops:

As everybody (should) know in case you do a pacman -Syu and a newer version of pacman is out, you should stop it, then upgrade only pacman and after do again pacman -Syu.

Could it be possible to have pacman that checks  if there is a newer version available and in that case do only pacman upgrade?
This should save (especially newcomers) many problem.
I know that newcomers start to take advantage from a such feature only from 0.6 but somewere we have to start.

I think pacman is this case can have two operating mode:
1) pacman -Syu
2) pacman see a newer pacman version
3) pacman warn the user  to do a pacman -S pacman  before the pacman -Syu and stop. Eventually with the option to force the -Syu anyway. If somebody wants to mess up his/her system they should be free to do it  wink

Another way can be
1) pacman -Syu
3) pacman automatically update itself and after stop  warning the user that pacman has been update and now he/she need to start pacman -Syu again

#2 2004-02-14 10:45:41

Mork II

Re: pacman and pacman -Syu

I think this is a good idea. You should submit a feature request to the bugtracker.

Bobonov wrote:

I think pacman is this case can have two operating mode:
1) pacman -Syu
3) pacman warn the user  to do a pacman -S pacman  before the pacman -Syu and stop. Eventually with the option to force the -Syu anyway. If somebody wants to mess up his/her system they should be free to do it  wink

Another way can be
1) pacman -Syu
3) pacman automatically update itself and after stop  warning the user that pacman has been update and now he/she need to start pacman -Syu again

A third way would be:
1) pacman -Syu
2) See never pacman version
3) "Do you want to update pacman y/n"
4) If yes upgrade pacman
5) Continue with normal update.

#3 2004-02-14 17:18:49

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's been suggested already.  You could submit a bug report if you wanted (I looked and I don't believe there is one).

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-02-14 22:57:06

Bobonov

1) pacman -Syu
2) See never pacman version
3) "Do you want to update pacman y/n"
4) If yes upgrade pacman
5) Continue with normal update.

After a pacman upgrade, pacman should stop in order to have the user run it again and use the new binary

#5 2004-02-14 23:55:11

Mork II

Bobonov wrote:

After a pacman upgrade, pacman should stop in order to have the user run it again and use the new binary

Good point. I didn't think that far smile

Board footer