You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-24 13:39:38

tylerpnn

Dual booting on a mac

Long time Arch user here, just got a Macbook pro. I have installed arch alongside Mac OS without any problems, but getting the bootloader to work is causing me problems. The instructions on the Macbook archwiki page seem to be out of date. I've even tried installing grub on the Mac's boot partition and it still wont let me boot into arch from the Mac bootloader. I've tried installing grub on a separate boot partition as well, and tried using rEFInd, but that didn't work either.

Anyone got some tips?

#2 2014-09-25 10:30:51

akamcf

Re: Dual booting on a mac

Hi tylerpnn,

Just finished installing my Arch dual booting with OS X Mavericks, MacBook Pro 2011 (that famous one with faulty discret GPU).
Guess would be easier to help you providing what MacBook Pro model you have and what OS X system you have installed.
Seems like Yosemite will complicate things for rEFInd to work for now so if that's what you have installed, important thing to know.

Personally I struggled a bit too much with Grub so I went straight to using rEFInd using already existing partition, sda1.

btw, that is my first post in the forum, wanted to first achieving a working Arch installation before registering so hi, everybody. Happy to be here.

#3 2014-09-25 21:26:07

tylerpnn

I'm using the newest (late 2013) version 15 inch macbook pro, running OSX mavericks 10.9.5. What partition should I install grub on if I use rEFInd?

#4 2014-09-26 06:20:08

akamcf

Well, like I said, I only succeeded in getting rEFInd installed and managing the dual booting so if you are interested in using that solution I can tell you how I did it. Can't help you setting up Grub, though, sorry.

Not trying to discourage you using Grub but instead you have a good reason to, there is no need as rEFInd alone can do the job and you can pass in any parameters you need.

#5 2014-09-27 08:21:13

souenzzo

Hi all
First, I don't have macbook.
When I try to boot arch on a Macbook it's really nice.
I press the power button holding opt key and then shows me up a nice screen with OSX on harddisk and Arch on USB
There is no how to make a instalation on a second partition and it simply shows up on this native "bootloader"

#6 2014-09-27 14:32:26

akamcf

souenzzo

I don't quiet understand, you don't have have a macbook but it's really nice when you try to boot arch on one?

Anyway, booting Arch installer from USB is one thing but you would need to prepare the partition first under Mac OS, using disk utilities app.
Only later when starting the Arch installation process from the USB key you will have to create new partitions.

You should start by carefully reading the wiki, all informations are in there, might be a bit confusing but can always ask for clarification in the forum.
Could also try to first installing Arch using VirtualBox to get familiar with all the steps without risking messing up anything on your main OS.

Good luck.

#7 2014-09-29 02:39:53

souenzzo

I tried installing on my friend's macbook(old, 2006), but I have faild.
EFI booting looks really confusing for now (maybe because I dont have an UEFI pc for experimentation)
My question is: macbook's "boot loader" checks HD and USB for bootable things, and natively find arch and osx. There is no how force it to search on the second partition or something like?

#8 2014-09-29 09:17:07

akamcf

You should first check if any a 2006 macbook requires anything specific.
Then, again, you should really and carefully read the wiki on how to install Arch on a macbook pro and in general.

When you start your computer holding 'alt' key, it will scan and display any partition it can boot on, the Arch installer USB is one of them. But it won't list any empty partitions if that what you mean, the boot loader only job is obviously to find bootable partitions and/or devices.

Now if you already have an empty partition ready to install Arch on, once you're running the archiso UEFI, you will be able to see it running cgdisk.

#9 2014-10-08 21:54:14

ArchieGolightly

I, too, am about to embark on installing Arch on a Macbook Pro having used it as a VM for over a year and enjoying it immensely.

I have a mid 2012 15" MBP with an SSD and the Apple provided 750GB HDD in the optical bay.

I hope to install Arch in the optical bay HDD and keep the SSD for Windows 7 and OS X Yosemite.

Is rEFInd strictly necessary? I read somewhere using a bootloader (as opposed to a bootmanager) like GRUB 2 makes rEFInd redundant but information via Googling is sparse.

The actual Wiki guide is great, and I've installed Arch many times for friends etc, even on an old netbook I had. Now I'd like to get it working on this sleek machine since virtualisation is so messy at times.

Any help, or even any idea where to begin looking?

Board footer