You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-13 12:04:54

f4rm0r

[SOLVED] D-bus not working (I guess)

Hello
I got a problem when it comes to D-bus.
Neither pulseaudio nor network-manager-applet is working for me due to this error that comes up:

W:[pulseaudio] main.c This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
E: [pulseaudio] module-jackbus-detect.c: unable to contact D-bus session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not recieve a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
E: [pulseaudio] module.c Failed to load module "module-jackdbus-detect" (argument: "channels=2"): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
W: [pulseaudio] server-lookup.c: unable to contace D-bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not recieve a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Noreply: Did not recieve a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: Get managedObject() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.bluez was not provided by a .service files 

this is the error report from pulseaudio.

The error report from nm-applet:

(nm-applet:1633): nm-applet-WARNING **: failed to initialize D-Bus: did not recieve a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not sent a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

when  I startx I have this in the .xinitrc

dbus-launch

I saw that this could solve it, but it did not, so I am now turning to a new post.
USB connection works, and I can get internet from USB tethering, so there should be nothing wrong with my USB busses (is not that, that D-bus controls?)

if you want more info I will answer as fast as I can smile

Last edited by f4rm0r (2014-10-20 13:31:09)

#2 2014-10-13 12:13:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] D-bus not working (I guess)

Dbus has nothing to do with usb.

Can you post the actual commands you are running and the full output?  The output that is there suggests you are trying to run the program(s) as root.  Is this true?  Why?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-10-13 18:00:32

f4rm0r

Trilby wrote:

Dbus has nothing to do with usb.

Can you post the actual commands you are running and the full output?  The output that is there suggests you are trying to run the program(s) as root.  Is this true?  Why?

when it comes to pulseaudio, I just ran "pulseaudio".
as a normal user it just comes to this:

E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Serviceunknown: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

and when I run

nm-applet

it gives no output at all. but I can't see anything that says that it is working either.
in my tray it says "networkManager is not running"
but the icon dissapears when I press ctrl-c.

so I tried to run as root, but nothing.
now I will try to install package "bluez5" and see if that helps.

update:

I tried installing bluez, and I got another error:

E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: unit dbus-org.bluez.service failed to load: No such file or directory

edit2:

I installed alsa instead and I got sound working.
now i just need to get nm-applet to work, or install something ele that can manage PEAP and encrypted networks smile

Last edited by f4rm0r (2014-10-13 18:15:29)

#4 2014-10-13 18:24:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

nm-applet is just an applet.  You need to have NetworkManager running in order for it to do anything:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-10-14 13:45:58

f4rm0r

Trilby wrote:

nm-applet is just an applet.  You need to have NetworkManager running in order for it to do anything:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

I feel incredibly foolish for not realising that! yikes
Anyway it is fixed now smile
Ty for your help! big_smile

#6 2014-10-14 14:15:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No problem.  Please remember to mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editting your first post to revise the title.

Also, for future reference, you will likely receive the best help here if you stick to describing the symptoms.  If you wish to speculate on potential causes in an initial post, there is no harm, but the title of a thread in particularl should stick to the objectively observable symptom(s) as much as possible.  This avoids any confusion due to your suspected diagnosis being incorrect.  This thread, for example, has nothing to do with dbus not working (it's about tools not being able to find their dbus 'partners' as the partners were not running).  However a bit of the error message, or a comment about dbus connections failing would have been more accurate.

Board footer