You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-13 17:58:40

Obrez

[SOLVED] X wont start after Xorg 116 upgrade

Hey all,

I am having an issue again with ATI graphics after an update.  I am not sure where I went wrong but maybe you experts can help me out again smile 

Here is some info:

$ grep '(EE)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   103.125] (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed. Probably kernel module missing or incompatible.
[   103.989] (EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

I see the kernel module might be missing but I am too much of a newb to know where to start, also:

$ grep '(WW)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   102.550] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
[   102.551] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
[   102.551] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
[   102.554] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[   102.600] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[   102.610] (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@3:0:0) found
[   102.610] (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found
[   102.610] (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@3:0:1) found
[   102.647] (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
[   102.887] (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
[   103.123] (WW) fglrx(0): Dynamic Surface Resizing cannot be enabled
[   103.125] (WW) fglrx(0): Big Desktop related functionalities are replaced by RandR 1.2!
[   103.125] (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************************
[   103.125] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed                               *
[   103.125] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
[   103.125] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled                         *
[   103.125] (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************************
[   103.127] (WW) fglrx(0): Textured Video not supported without DRI enabled.
[   103.138] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "KeyNotFound" is not used
[   103.325] (WW) evdev: Logitech USB Receiver: ignoring absolute axes.

Here is my xorg.conf

vi xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "0-DFP5"
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
        Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
        Option      "Position" "0 0"
        Option      "Rotate" "normal"
        Option      "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "0-DFP1"
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
        Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
        Option      "Position" "1680 0"
        Option      "Rotate" "normal"
        Option      "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
"xorg.conf" [Read only] 84 lines, 2033 characters

Like I said.. any help is appreciated.  I have been boggled by this for a few days now and I am at the extent of my knowlede about ATI graphic installation.  (next time I will get an Nvidia card)  hahah.

Thanks!

-Josh

Last edited by Obrez (2014-10-14 17:51:16)

#2 2014-10-13 18:29:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] X wont start after Xorg 116 upgrade

Please don't post grepped log output - grepping can be useful if you know what you are looking for - but if you knew what to look for you wouldn't be posting here.  Please post the full log (or put it on a file-sharing site and post the link to it).

The output you have posted indicates that X exited successfully.  The most common cause of this is an empty (or faulty) ~/.xinitrc.  Do you use startx/xinit or how do you start X?  What is in your xinitrc?

Also, could you elaborate on which ATI drivers you are using?  Do you have the open source xf86-video-ati or one of the closed-source options?  If this is xf86-video-ati, why do you have an xorg.conf at all, it shouldn't be needed?  If, instead, this is a closed-source driver, where did you get the content for the xorg.conf?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-10-13 20:26:12

Obrez

hi Trilby thanks for the reply.

I appologize for the grep outputs.  I was following the ATI wiki on how to post in the forums with Xorg and ATI problems.  I have copied the full Xorg log file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/801 … rg-log.txt

As for how I start X I use startx/xinit like you say, with compiz as my WM.  My .xinitrc file has not changed.

I am using the closed source driver from vi0l0 I think, but I am not sure I understand your last question.  The content for the xorg.conf file has not changed since I originally installed my system last year.   

Again thank you very much for your help.

#4 2014-10-13 21:42:18

rebootl
Website

I'm not sure if that's needed or made for the catalyst repos you have, I don't use catalyst.

But maybe this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … alyst-hook

Maybe try to rebuild the module manually.

Also if you only upgraded to Xorg 1.16 by now (as you indicate in your title): https://www.archlinux.org/news/xorg-ser … available/

Personal website: reboot.li
GitHub: github.com/rebootl

#5 2014-10-13 23:43:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I don't see anything wrong in that log - X finishes successfully, so I still suspect your method of starting X as this has changed with 116.  You said you did use xinit/startx, but which one, and how exactly is it executed?  Do you type it manually, is it in a shellrc file, what exactly is the full command?  What is in your xinitrc?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2014-10-14 02:57:12

Obrez

That's good news.  I start X via the startx command manually, but use .xinitrc to start some applications with X like compiz, gnome-do, xscreensaver etc etc.

Here is the contents of my .xinitrc.

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

exec compiz ccp &
xscreensaver -nosplash &
plank &
dropboxd &
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice

#7 2014-10-14 10:40:01

weirddan455

fglrx doesn't work with Xorg 1.16 as far as I know.  You'll probably have to downgrade to Xorg 1.15.

#8 2014-10-14 12:03:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That xinitrc never should have worked - everything is backgrounded.  Move the "exec compiz" line to the very end, and remove the ampersand from that line.

#9 2014-10-14 17:50:53

Obrez

Thank you all for the help.  I was able to solve this issue.  the problem was as weirddan455 mentioned that catalyst does not support xorg 1.16.  So I removed EVERYTHING that had to do with catalyst and installed the catalyst-test packages. 

My system is up and running again.  I have some problems with nemo now not launching because of a font issue but I think I can get that solved on my own. 

Again thank you thank you thank you guys!

-Josh

Edit: solved my nemo problem too by downgrading the nemo package and gnom-icon-theme packages.

Last edited by Obrez (2014-10-14 18:13:38)

Board footer