You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-15 22:19:11

OpenFerret

Questions about using rEFInd...

Hi all,

I'm about to start my new Arch install to a Dell XPS 13 (9333).  I'm going to do an EFI install using rEFInd as the Boot Manager and then have an LVM partition with encrypted root and swap. 

I can see clearly from the rEFInd wiki page (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd) that to install it all I need to do is:

pacman -Sy
pacman -S refind-efi
refind-install

This should then install the required software to the /boot/efi mount of sda1 (where my 512mb EFI partition will be).

I can't quite interpret the wiki as to how I then tell the Boot Manager that I need to mount and load my encrypted partitions, with TRIM support and allow resume to work with the swap partition.

Can anyone offer any advice or point me to a guide on this?

Many thanks!

#2 2014-10-16 07:38:31

dice

Re: Questions about using rEFInd...

You want to set kernel parameters?
Try this

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#3 2014-10-16 09:25:39

OpenFerret

Hi Bud,

Is it only the /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf that I need to edit?

Also, because I'm going to be using encryption for the swap space and root partition can I just use:

mkinitcpio -p linux

to regenerate my initrd image and then run:

refind-mkrlconf

to generate a refind.conf?

#4 2014-10-16 12:08:04

silverhammermba
Wiki Maintainer

Read the wiki carefully: you can either pass parameters with a stanza in refind.conf or create a refind_linux.conf for your kernel (as refind-mkrlconf does). You could do both, but you would end up with two boot entries with possibly different kernel params.

As for refind-mkrlconf, you shouldn't need to run that if refind-install works without arguments, since refind_linux.conf should already exist in that case. In any case, refind-mkrlconf is only good for generating the bare-bones paramaters - if LVM or encryption require special parameters, you will certainly need to add them yourself.

#5 2014-10-16 13:09:10

teateawhy
Website

The kernel commandline you need to set should look approximately like this:

initrd=\initramfs-linux.img cryptdevice=/dev/sdXY:VolGroup:allow-discards root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-RootVolume rw resume=/dev/VolGroup/SwapVolume

You need to change the values sdXY, VolGroup, RootVolume and SwapVolume to the names you have chosen.

#6 2014-10-18 10:48:45

OpenFerret

I've had a continued play about with rEFInd, and for the life of me I just can't get it to work with LUKS.  It gives me a continued loader error and I've tried everything in the wiki... I'm just giving up and going back to gummiboot.

Board footer