You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-17 14:58:44

magisterludi

login not possible because polkit and other services fail at boot

Hi to all, I can't login to my system, the display manager lightdm can't start, I guess because some services (man-db,polkit and lightdm itself obviously) exited, if I control with e.g.

systemctl status polkit.service

the result is that the service status is failed. An error message at boot states that lightdm can't start because the user lightdm doesn't exist, I think that the problem is the polkit service
If I try the login by the console my username is not recognized, I can login as root without providing any password, I tried to reinstall polkit but pacman doesn't resolve the repository address, is merely a question of dns, I can manually set the connection up but I can't change /etc/resolv.conf, dhcpcd.conf, any other configuration file because I have not writing permission on those files (also if I am root?Why?) then I can reach an IP address but not a domain name. I haven't tried yet to change the repository address with its IP in the pacman configuration file, but I think I haven't the writing permission also on that file (it's /etc/pacman.conf?). I'm wondering what I can try to recover my system without reinstall, could you help me, please?
Thanks and regards

#2 2014-10-18 15:36:31

cargoan

Re: login not possible because polkit and other services fail at boot

I think /etc/passwd file is missing or corrupt.

Board footer