You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-01 14:23:58

Hutchism

SOLVED - modifying the arch .iso

Hi all. Apologies if I'm doing something obviously wrong. I'm trying to copy EFI/BOOT/loader.efi to EFI/BOOT/boot on the downloaded arch iso.

Reason for this is to boot the iso on my lennovo e71 which even with a BIOS update refuses to boot with the following error: 'failed to install override security policy'.

I've followed the steps on the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Re … nstall_ISO

Essentially using the command:
"genisoimage -l -r -J -V "ARCH_201209" -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -c isolinux/boot.cat -o ~/arch-custom.iso ~/customiso"

The newly generated iso refuses to boot. Any ideas? (yes I did amend the label to that of the original image.)

Thanks in advance

Ian

Last edited by Hutchism (2014-10-20 21:05:55)

#2 2014-08-02 14:14:46

dif

Re: SOLVED - modifying the arch .iso

Here's the first link from google searching "failed to install override security policy".
Have a look at post #18 [SOLVED] failed to install override security policy error in UEFI boot.

The first thing that comes to mind when you hear "security" and "EFI" is secure boot. So check that if the above link is not helpful.

The link you provided in your post is definitely good one for remastering an ISO. I think I used it when I made an iso image to start my ancient headless (and keyboardless) computer.

P.S.
I guess you updated your (U)EFI, not BIOS.

#3 2014-08-02 14:28:51

Hutchism

Hi dif.
Yes, thats exactly what I'm trying to do, and the solution to the problem is to copy EFI/BOOT/loader.efi to EFI/BOOT/boot on to either the iso or the bootable media. The bootable media is write protected and I can't get the iso I modified to boot following the Remastering iso wiki guide.

It is indeed a UEFI BIOS and some users have found that updating it fixes this issue.

#4 2014-08-03 00:46:05

dif

Hutchism wrote:

"genisoimage -l -r -J -V "ARCH_201209" -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -c isolinux/boot.cat -o ~/arch-custom.iso ~/customiso"
Ian

Are you actually using ARCH_201209?
I know you wrote you had modified the label "ARCH_YYYYMM", but double check it.
EDIT:  Did you modify 'archisolabel' in loader/entries/archiso-x86_64.conf or/and in arch/boot/syslinux/archiso.cfg?

I have noticed that the latest ISO (2014-08) has some file names changed in its internal structure. Some files have been moved to other places, too. Perhaps that is why you ISO doesn't boot.

I have modified my script to work with the new structure of the current ISO, and created modified ISO's that successfully start in both BIOS and UEFI configurations on my virtual machine. I can add the copying of those .efis and send you the script to use or to see what it looks like.

EDIT2:  No reply, so this information is for those who might look for an arch ISO image starting with a passwordless sshd service on a standard port. I have put my bash script in AUR, arch-headless. The script includes a commented out solution to the original poster's problem, as he suggested in post 3. You can uncomment it and try if it works, I have never done it.

Last edited by dif (2014-08-05 15:09:48)

#5 2014-08-19 01:06:43

Hutchism

Hi Dif. Sorry, for late reply. Had a load of other things on and haven't really looked at my machine for a couple of weeks. Going to have another go when I get home on the weekend.

Have a bit of time on my hands this week, so shall dig a little deeper into it, albeit without access to machine which is a bit of a pain!

For now, I can tell you that the image I created previously did indeed work on a VM, but not when I tried the usb stick on the machine itself. When making the disk, I used dd as I do normally
"dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdX conv=sync bs=1M"

I used the existing Arch label and didn't modify it at all, however according to the guide the label is required as part of the genisoimage syntax.

Like yourself, the image seemed to work on a VM, but would not boot on machine, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong along the way.

(I actually thought that I'd replied previously, but I guess I musn't have, so sorry again for that. Thanks and Kudos, for giving me credit on the AUR, but I just ripped it from another thread, linked in first wink)

Last edited by Hutchism (2014-08-19 01:14:31)

#6 2014-10-19 13:30:38

Hutchism

Sorry it's been so long. Just wanted to let people know that this method does indeed work.

Fixed a while ago, but forgot to reply.

Anyway, you need to use netbootin or similar to create bootable media. The dd method does not work in this case (thought that it had created a bootable image).

Thanks to dif!

As a side not I was able to build my machine remotely, by getting the folks to do the small amount of manual work to get this thing going on the other end of a phone. Hopefully I'll be moving house soon - to an area with a decent connection and I can host my machine in my own place! smile

#7 2014-10-19 18:54:56

teateawhy
Website

Remember to mark a thread as solved if you have found a solution.

Board footer