You are not logged in.

#651 2014-04-23 05:54:38

orschiro
Website

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

@whatshisname

Thanks for your workaround. I have this issue request and I just hope that it will be implemented any time soon:

https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/242

#652 2014-05-03 07:45:24

orschiro
Website

Is it possible to configure SpaceFM so that by double clicking on an archive, the archive is not extracted but opened in file-roller?

#653 2014-05-03 08:12:37

ninian
Website

orschiro wrote:

Is it possible to configure SpaceFM so that by double clicking on an archive, the archive is not extracted but opened in file-roller?

Select an archive, right-click for context menu, then: Open / Archive default / Open With App

#654 2014-05-03 10:08:39

orschiro
Website

@ninian

Very nice. Thanks!

I added a new section to the wiki page for these handy tips.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sp … .26_Tricks

#655 2014-05-03 12:12:22

ninian
Website

orschiro wrote:

@ninian

Very nice. Thanks!

I added a new section to the wiki page for these handy tips.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sp … .26_Tricks

Glad to help, and that's a good idea to add to the Wiki - there's just soooooo much you can do with SpaceFM!

#656 2014-05-07 19:11:47

orschiro
Website

Has anyone figured out how to create a context menu command that is only shown on selecting any kinds of file or folder but not when just clicking into an empty area?

I tried several conditions but none of them seems to match that.

#657 2014-05-07 19:31:14

J.

Try making it visible if 'Filename doesn't equal ""'.

#658 2014-05-07 20:54:46

orschiro
Website

@J.

Thanks for your hint. However, this alone didn't work. I kept experimenting and this combination works:

oREhsLI.png

#659 2014-05-22 03:35:43

spiralofhope
Website

Is there a simple way to assign multiple shortcuts to the same command?

I assigned control-pagedown to (right-click on a file) Go > Tab > Next, which switches to the next tab.  I'd also like to assign control-tab.

It feels as though there is no easy way, and that I would have to pursue the problem this way:

- Make a new entry in (right-click on a file) Go > Tab (right-click) > New > Command, maybe called Next2
- Use a command line to make spacefm switch tabs.

I attempted some experimentation in this direction, but it was extremely frustrating and I got nowhere.

I'd like to know if this is even the right direction to explore in.

#660 2014-10-19 20:12:12

Drew

I was using PCManFM for a while after I abandoned the bloated mess that is KDE, and SpaceFM makes a lot of nice improvements. Mainly I like how each pane gets its own address bar and set of tabs. PCManFM has perhaps the most confusing way possible of managing multiple tabs and panes simultaneously, and SpaceFM resolves all of that. It took me a while to get used to needing a dedicated bookmarks/devices pane for each directory pane instead of one master bookmarks/devices pane for all directory panes, but now that I've used it for a while I've decided there are as many advantages as disadvantages.

My main concern is the way things size themselves. When you increase the window size, the left pane doesn't increase in size to maintain the same proportion (50/50 in my case), so the right pane just stretches alone to be huge. I've also noticed that the name column refuses to shrink smaller than the size it was when SpaceFM started unless you manually shrink it. Yes, there is autosizing, but it is only willing to grow larger and then shrink back down to exactly how large it was at the beginning and no smaller. So this requires you to manually shrink the columns if you wish to make the window smaller or add more panes. This is especially aggravating if you maximize the window and then close, then you reopen it and restore it, but because SpaceFM remembered the maximized column sizes when it opened you are stuck with huge name columns pushing your other columns far off the screen into the distance.

Ideally, all columns should shrink and grow so they remain the same sizes proportionally to each other no matter what and never take up more space than the pane provides unless you manually increase their widths. Currently only the name column resizes and it does so poorly.

Otherwise everything is great. SpaceFM one of the best file managers I have used, and it has become my daily driver. I've tried dozens over the years and would put this up as one of the top three best all around file managers next to Konqueror and XYplorer. The minimal dependencies/resource demand make it my number one choice.

Last edited by Drew (2014-12-16 01:26:28)

#661 2015-02-10 18:06:11

SeaWolf

I'm having an issue with this otherwise fantastic file manager. My problem is related to file icons: I changed the icons associated with some file types (like LibreOffice files, html files, etc.) by modifying the "icon name" in the respective xml files, for example for LibreOffice Calc it looks like this in  '~/.local/share/mime/packages/application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet.xml':
<generic-icon name="libreoffice-calc"/>

Then I used the "File -> Open" dialog in several programs (Firefox, LibreOffice, Geany, etc.) and it perfectly shows the newly configurated icons, yet Spacefm still uses the old ones even after restarting it.

I'm just using Openbox without any desktop environment. The icons that I use and that Spacefm doesn't show are not new, they are part of the Gnome icon theme that is the default on my system.

Is this a bug or is there something more I need to do?

Last edited by SeaWolf (2015-02-10 21:21:08)

#662 2015-05-14 20:04:33

IgnorantGuru
Website

Update: Just to let everyone here know, SpaceFM has resumed slow development.  Best place to bring issues to my attention is the issue tracker.  That and other links are on the homepage.  Thanks for your feedback!

@SeaWolf
> My problem is related to file icons: I changed the icons associated with some file types

Please see issue 530.

@Drew
> My main concern is the way things size themselves.

After GTK's automatic column and other widget resizing caused endless problems with SpaceFM's complex layout, this was mostly changed to manual, so that the column sizes and other aspects are kept where the user set them.  This has been far more functional.  The only way to get automatic resizing better would be to write custom functions to handle it, rather than GTK, but that hasn't been done.  Functionally, it's easiest with SpaceFM if you don't keep resizing the window.  Or if you do, consider using socket commands to set the size of everything how you want.

@spiralofhope
> Is there a simple way to assign multiple shortcuts to the same command?

No, the only want to do this currently is to create a menu item which emits the shortcut key of the other menu item, then set another shortcut key for the former.

#663 2015-05-15 08:26:05

SeaWolf

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Update: Just to let everyone here know, SpaceFM has resumed slow development.  Best place to bring issues to my attention is the issue tracker.  That and other links are on the homepage.  Thanks for your feedback!

@SeaWolf
> My problem is related to file icons: I changed the icons associated with some file types

Please see issue 530.

Very nice to hear news about SpaceFM, and thanks very much for the fix smile

#664 2015-05-15 08:39:37

Paramvir
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Update: Just to let everyone here know, SpaceFM has resumed slow development.

That my Dear NOT so Ignorant "Guru" - is so nice to hear. big_smile

I am aware about the issue tracker - but there is no way of knowing the name of open tabs in a list - something like Geany Editor would be just out of this universe - we right click on a tab and we get a list of open tabs - scrollable beyond a point - exactly like the Bookmarks.

Thanks and cheers

#665 2015-06-19 12:37:00

raavas

I'd like to have the trash plugin (spacefm-plugin-corbeille), but there are some problems with it in the AUR. These problems include dead links and failed checksums. I don't have a profile in the AUR, so could someone who has the access or the skills look into the situation, please?

#666 2015-06-19 12:48:20

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

You need to update the source array in the PKGBUILD as indicated in the AUR comments.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#667 2015-06-19 19:27:12

raavas

That is where the checksum errors kick in. I copied that from the comments, and makepkg stated checksum error soon after start. Is there any way I could update the checksum?

#668 2015-06-19 21:10:55

Rasi
Website

run updpkgsums

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#669 2015-06-20 09:17:12

raavas

Thank you for all the help so far! Now I managed to get the plugin installed with pacman, and it shows on the SpaceFM plugin menu but it doesn't seem to work yet. All the actions in the manu result in an error.

example:

/tmp/spacefm-pekka-6a30d300.tmp/2ffa4ce3-tmp.sh: line 85: /usr/share/spacefm/plugins/Corbeille-en-source/files/cstm_07e29d93.sh: No such file or directory

#670 2015-07-20 18:18:38

SmilePlz

hi guys!
Sorry if this question already exists.
Is it possible to assign to the key: Left Right Up Down on H J K L. vimlike smile
sorry for the language. I use a translator

#671 2015-07-20 22:55:35

IgnorantGuru
Website

SmilePlz wrote:

hi guys!
Sorry if this question already exists.
Is it possible to assign to the key: Left Right Up Down on H J K L. vimlike smile
sorry for the language. I use a translator

If you mean use H J K L for navigation in the GTK lists instead of arrow keys, it's not possible to do this within SpaceFM (although you can do some cursor movement with socket commands, which can be associated to any key).  You also might be able to remap those keys using your WM or other external tool, so it remaps them on a per-application basis (just for spacefm).

You can open a request for this on the tracker, so it stays visible. If SpaceFM ever gets a micro-preferences dialog, things like this may be added.

#672 2015-09-15 02:25:31

likytau

Hi, I'm coming back to SpaceFM after becoming dissatisfied with Thunar etc.  I haven't encountered the 'massively inflating memory use' bug that led me to stop using it last time, so fingers crossed..

I have two questions:

* Is there some way I can hook into the copy/cut/paste process (or alternatively, DnD)? I am using TMSU to tag files, so naturally when I move or duplicate files, I want the tags to go with them. In CLI terms that is a simple task to accomplish, however it needs to be triggered at the correct time -- in the case of a cut+paste, before the source file is removed but after the destination file is created. In the case of a copy+paste, any time after the destination file is created.
(hooking into rename process is also relevant for similar reasons)

My current workaround is comprised of two actions, one which moves files from current panel to opposite panel, another which copies files.

* I have noticed that some image types like ORA and XCF, that had thumbnails in Thunar, do not have thumbnails in SpaceFM. How does SpaceFM generate image thumbnails?

Last edited by likytau (2015-09-15 05:03:32)

#673 2015-09-15 03:15:23

IgnorantGuru
Website

likytau wrote:

Hi, I'm coming back to SpaceFM after becoming dissatisfied with Thunar etc.  I haven't encountered the 'massively inflating memory use' bug that led me to stop using it last time, so fingers crossed..

I have two questions:

* Is there some way I can hook into the copy/cut/paste process (or alternatively, DnD)? I am using TMSU to tag files, so naturally when I move or duplicate files, I want the tags to go with them. In CLI terms that is a simple task to accomplish, however it needs to be triggered at the correct time -- in the case of a cut+paste, before the source file is removed but after the destination file is created. In the case of a copy+paste, any time after the destination file is created.
(hooking into rename process is also relevant for similar reasons)

My current workaround is comprised of two actions, one which moves files from current panel to opposite panel, another which copies files.

* I have noticed that some image types like ORA and XCF, that had thumbnails in Thunar, do not have thumbnails in SpaceFM. How does SpaceFM generate image thumbnails?

Hi,  That I'm aware of, SpaceFM's code never had a massive memory inflation problem, but other system components can create that.  It did have some slow leaks that have been addressed recently.  And it can normally use a decent amount of memory, especially if using very large thumbnails in large directories, etc.

You can't hook into the built-in copy/paste function, but you can add your own or replace them with your own, and there are socket commands that allow you to manipulate and read the clipboard, as well as initiate tasks within SpaceFM.  A simple example is my Paste Into plugin.  For creating your own Rename dialog, see SpaceFM Dialog.

SpaceFM will only attempt to thumbnail an image file if its MIME type has the prefix "image/".  Then it will do so using GDK image functions.  I doubt they support ORA or XCF, so neither does SpaceFM.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2015-09-15 03:21:01)

#674 2015-09-15 06:02:52

likytau

Thanks for explaining the different factors involved in memory consumption for this case. I do have a few directories with 1000ish images., though I haven't had issues with any other apps for this number of images.

re: xcf, ora thumbs:
Actually there is a GDKPixbuf loader for xcf. Anyway NVM,
the XDG thumbnails appear to work.. at least, I am getting thumbs on some XCF and ORA now.

re: clipboard:
Thanks for the manual links. I guess the specific socket commands you mean are these:

# Copy files to the clipboard:
    spacefm -s set clipboard_copy_files /etc/fstab /etc/hosts

# Cut files to the clipboard:
    spacefm -s set clipboard_cut_files /etc/fstab /etc/hosts

and reading from that property during paste.. that seems manageable; I'll use your Paste Into script as a cheat sheet.

In that case, it sounds like I can leave Cut and Copy as-is, and only need to replace Paste. Interesting UI design you have there, that replacing items is so easy. I was impressed by it last time too.

Re: rename: Yes, I've looked into spacefm dialogs (have got a working dialog to report tmsu tags nicely for selected files, already). That will be what I'll use for single renames. Mainly I was interested in batch renames, but when I look at that carefully I see you are just shelling out to Thunar. Well, I can probably manage something with inode (+ sha1 fallback) comparison, since a rename should never move files between filesystems.

EDIT: I seem to have a working tmsu-aware paste now, modified from your Paste Into plugin:

#!/bin/bash
$fm_import    # import file manager variables (scroll down for info)
#
# Enter your commands here:     ( then save this file )
# Get clipboard

task_type=copy
eval clip="$(spacefm -s get clipboard_copy_files)"
if [ "${clip[0]}" = "" ]; then
    eval clip="$(spacefm -s get clipboard_cut_files)"
    if [ "${clip[0]}" = "" ]; then
        # no files on clipboard
	clip_text="`spacefm -s get clipboard_text`"
	if [ "$clip_text" != "" ]; then
	    # paste text to pathbar
	    spacefm -s set focused_pane pathbar
	    spacefm -s set pathbar_text "$clip_text"
	fi
        exit 0
    fi
    task_type=move
fi

# Check target
if [ "${fm_files[0]}" = "" ] || [ ! -d "${fm_files[0]}" ] || \
                              [ "${fm_files[1]}" != "" ]; then
	# No valid single target selected - paste into current folder
	task_target="$fm_pwd"
else
	# Paste into single selected folder
	task_target="${fm_files[0]}"
fi

USE_TMSU=
if which tmsu-fs-mv > /dev/null; then
  echo "using TMSU"
  USE_TMSU=1
fi

count="${#clip[@]}"
index=1
# XXX do this via task manager
if [ "$task_type" = "move" ]; then
    for FN in "${clip[@]}"; do
      if [ "$USE_TMSU" -eq 1 ]; then
        tmsu-fs-mv "$FN" "$task_target"
	echo "$index/$count" "$FN"
      else
        mv -iv -- "$FN" "$task_target"
      fi
      index=$((index+1))
    done
else
    for FN in "${clip[@]}"; do
      FN=$(realpath -- "$FN")
      if [ "$USE_TMSU" -eq 1 ]; then
        cp -ia -- "$FN" "$task_target"
        base=$(basename "$FN")
	tmsu tag --from "$FN" -- "$task_target/$base"
        echo "$index/$count" "$FN"
      else
        cp -via "$FN" "$task_target"
      fi
      index=$((index+1))
    done
fi

# boilerplate comments omitted

As it notes, this could probably be improved by adding each individual file move/copy as a 'cmd' type task to the task manager. I'll look at that later,
but for now, this appears to work well. Thanks for the help smile

Last edited by likytau (2015-09-15 12:48:39)

#675 2015-11-12 00:53:52

likytau

Just wanted to say that SpaceFM has really become indispensable to me during the fairly mammoth task of organizing my art. I've written several scripts by now to support TMSU tagging comfortably and am hoping to release them when I'm done. This just wouldn't have been a practical task without SpaceFM's extensively customizable GUI system, in any other file manager I would have had to change the file manager's own code to get what I was looking for. Really appreciate that flexibility.

Board footer