You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-20 22:43:43

nstgc

Root copied at ~/mounted. How? And how to remove safely?

My root is located on a btrfs volume labeled "aroot" in subvolume "aroot/arch". My user directory (~) is located on the volume "raid1" in subvolume "raid1/nstgc5". I noticed this when my daily back up script was copying way too much, which is a different issue (my OS installation should not be 22 GB), and found that indeed it was copying from the subvolume, not / since only those thing which are in the subvolume are present on ~/mounted.

My first thing to check was /etc/fstab. Nope, nothing there.

Next I searched through 5000 lines of journalctl for "mounted" but found only two instances and neither of them were related.

After that I checked my snapshots to confirm that (1) it was not present yesterday and (2) if the snapshot also has this "copy" of my arch installation, which is not quite the same as /. Both turned out to be "yes" in the sense that this is a new thing since yesterday's run of the back up script (which runs btrfs sub snap and rsync), and that I have a second copy of my arch installation.

And lastly, I ran "cat /var/log/pacman.log | tail" and compared it to "cat ~/mounted/var/log/pacman.log |tail". What this shows is that it is a copy, and not any sort of reflink, hardlink or what not. Or at least that's what I think.

My two questions are then, how did this happen, and what is a safe way to fix it?

Board footer