You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-23 03:35:34

geosmin

How can I get i3 to properly do multihead?

I'm trying to have i3 properly handle connecting a second display and having it utilized as a non-mirrored extra monitor per workspaces.

Actually, I'd be happy with anything that doesn't just mirror the display. 

I'm currently looking at using xrandr and maybe sxrandrd but I'm not sure whether or not what I'm trying to do is possible. Both the wiki and i3 documentation haven't quite provided the info I need. 

TL;DR: Using i3. Sometimes I plug in an HDMI monitor. I'd like to use that monitor as an extra (non-mirrored) screen per workspace. Possible?

Last edited by geosmin (2014-10-23 03:36:23)

#2 2014-10-23 03:47:46

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How can I get i3 to properly do multihead?

Works great.  I think.
What do you mean "extra screen per workspace." ?  What happens is that a workspace is on one monitor or the other.  Containers move from monitor to monitor when they are moved to a workspace on that monitor.   In other words. workspaces 1-3 might be on the native monitor, and 4-6 might be on the HDMI monitor.  The main monitor will be displaying one of its workspace, and the HDMI monitor will display one of its workspaces.  If you are on workspace 1 (the main monitor), and you move to workspace 5, the cursor will leave the main monitor and  move to the HDMI monitor.  If workspace 5 was not being displayed , then 4 or 6 were.  Workspace 5 will be be brought to the front on the HDMI monitor, leaving workspace 1 on the main monitor.

The right tool is xranr.   Are you sure you did not find what you needed in the i3 documentation article on multi monitors?

Edit : Oh, are you using Nvidia?

Last edited by ewaller (2014-10-23 03:49:26)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer