You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-23 06:56:59

cypher_zero

Bootstrap install issues

So this is my first time doing a full insall of Arch on my desktop computer and I'm having a few issues.  I've previously installed Arch in a VirtualBox VM with EFI with only a few minor hiccups that I was able to work out myself, but with the live system install, I'm having some trouble.

UEFI boot from either the liveCD or a bootable flash drive was not working; it would just hang after a few lines with the last line reading:

Triggering uevents 

Because of this, I decided to attempt a bootstrap install from within a Kubuntu liveCD and now I'm encountering a different problem.  I am able to get all the way up to where I run

pacstrap /mnt base

which appears to run fine, but gives me the error message:

umount: /mnt/dev: target is busy
        (In some cases useful info about processes that
         use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).) 

Within the chroot'd bootstrap Arch, basic commands such as "lsof" and "nano" no longer work returning a "command not found" error and I can't really progress forward with the rest of the install.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by cypher_zero (2014-10-23 07:21:36)

#2 2014-10-23 09:55:40

Moo-Crumpus

Re: Bootstrap install issues

Hm. You should have mounted the target root parition to /mnt, and others as /mnt/home, as you like. Until the pacstrab command, there should be no /mnt/dev. As pacstrap happens before chrooting, I guess you should use lsof before chrooting. Which informatoin gives lsof before chroot into /mnt?

pacstrap is a script. You could also run the commands manually.

Last edited by Moo-Crumpus (2014-10-23 10:01:26)

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2014-10-23 13:37:38

cypher_zero

Sorry, I haven't actually chroot'd into the /mnt yet.  Per the instructions for the bootstrap install, I've unzipped the bootstrap tar.gz to /tmp/root.x86_64 then chroot'd into it with:

# /tmp/root.x86_64/bin/arch-chroot /tmp/root.x86_64/ 

From there, I mounted my root partition to /mnt, home to /mnt/home, and boot to /mnt/boot and then ran:

pacstrap /mnt base base-devel

All this was done exactly as described in the Wiki here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ting_Linux

When I'm talking about the commands not working from the bootstrap, I mean they weren't working after running pacstrap while chroot'd into /tmp/root.x86_64

Last edited by cypher_zero (2014-10-23 13:41:54)

#4 2014-10-23 14:33:12

Moo-Crumpus

OK, you chrooted into /tmp/root.x86_64/ and had your new root partition mounted as /mnt inside - literaly /tmp/root_x86_64/mnt/. I can't see what should go wrong, sounds good for me. Kubuntu has nothing to do inside this chroot session at this adress, neither touching files, nor folders. Whatever blocks /mnt/dev will be a pacstrap-process, I guess. Therefore, doing some lsof right after | during doing the pacstrap could really give an idea.
You can search and find similar bug descriptions for pacstrap, and, as far as I have read, they adress timeouts. You may follow the pacstrab script step by step, or add some echo commandos to it, to see where it is missbehaving.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#5 2014-10-23 14:39:03

cypher_zero

Alright.  I'll take a look at that if I can't get my current work-around to work.

What I'm currently doing:
I've rebooted back into the liveCD, re-extracted the bootstrap, mounted it, chroot'd into it at /tmp/root.x86_64, mounted my root, home, and boot partitions to /mnt (litereally /tmp/root.x86_64/mnt), then chrooted into there and I am attempting to continue the install from there following the Beginner's guide Wiki.  I'll see how this goes and if I run into any more issues.

#6 2014-10-23 17:31:27

cypher_zero

Oi.  So I got everything installed to the best of my knowledge, but I can't get arch to boot from UEFI.  It just keeps dropping me into a recovery shell.

I think at this point I've been beating my head against a brick wall with this UEFI thing for long enough.  I'm fairly confident that I can get things working with a regual BIOS boot, so I'm just going to try that.  Assuming that works as I expect it to, I'm going to just mark this thread as solved.

#7 2014-11-14 08:56:35

christopherreay@gmail.com

Hi,

I have this same issue. Is it possible that this is because I have mounted in /mnt/home my existing /home partition without unmounting from the host system?

Thanks

If so, given I have already run and had fail pacstrap /mnt base, can I salvage the current issues?
How should I salvage?
Perhaps unmount the /home on my host system (I have no idea if this is practical)...
Should I perhaps add the /home partition later to fstab after booting into my new archlinux?

Thanks

--EDIT--

Ended up with some hilarious situations ... going to just install a base archlinux and configure the partitions afterwards... rm -f 's my own home directory... which is funny because I dont keep anything ever on my local machine... and all my scripts are on github... fun fun fun smile

Last edited by christopherreay@gmail.com (2014-11-14 09:08:54)

#8 2014-11-14 09:00:52

cypher_zero

No.  When I made this post originally, I was actually doing the bootstrap install from a Kubuntu live CD.  As near as I can tell, the Arch install doesn't make any changes to the /home partition; it just needs to be mounted during the install so that /etc/fstab can be updated properly with the mount point when that gets generated. 

What error did you get when pacstrap failed?

EDIT: Also, for anyone interested, I'm still having issues getting Arch up and running on my system and I've made a separate topic here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=189836

Last edited by cypher_zero (2014-11-14 11:47:35)

Board footer