You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-18 00:25:33

mikepedaz

netctl-auto systemd failing since upgrade

Hi all,

I ran "pacman -Syu" a few days ago and everything seemed to go fine. Since then however, the netctl-auto service consistently fails on boot. I've spent hours googling and checking the wiki but haven't found a resolution to the issue.

This is the only service that fails:

$ systemctl status netctl-auto@wlp3s0
● netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service - Automatic wireless network connection using netctl profiles
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl-auto@.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2014-10-17 19:46:09 EDT; 25min ago
     Docs: man:netctl.special(7)
  Process: 271 ExecStart=/usr/bin/netctl-auto start %I (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

After trying to start the service manually, the systemctl status message remains the same as above and "journalctl -xn" does not seem to list anything relevant

$ sudo systemctl start netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service
Job for netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service failed. See 'systemctl status netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details

more info:

$ ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether f0:de:f1:70:1a:33 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a0:88:b4:9c:b8:18 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction towards getting this resolved.

#2 2014-10-18 19:22:57

MoonSwan

Re: netctl-auto systemd failing since upgrade

Hi!  I'm going to ask you a (potentially) stupid-sounding question and it may not be relevant to your situation.  I'm asking this question because your wifi card has the "DORMANT" moniker from your "ip link" output and because the output recommends seeing this:  man:netctl.special(7)

Do you put your wifi/ethernet card to "sleep" as described in this man page: 

netctl.service
           When started, this unit tries to start the profiles that were running when the unit was last stopped. In some cases, the
           interface a profile binds to might not be available yet, when netctl.service tries to bring a profile up.

That is, do you suspend or hibernate the machine or the networking bits of your computer in some way?  If you do you may want to look at that man page and follow the solution proposed in it for re-enabling suspended network connections.

#3 2014-10-18 21:24:40

mikepedaz

MoonSwan wrote:

Hi!  I'm going to ask you a (potentially) stupid-sounding question and it may not be relevant to your situation.  I'm asking this question because your wifi card has the "DORMANT" moniker from your "ip link" output and because the output recommends seeing this:  man:netctl.special(7)

Do you put your wifi/ethernet card to "sleep" as described in this man page: 

netctl.service
           When started, this unit tries to start the profiles that were running when the unit was last stopped. In some cases, the
           interface a profile binds to might not be available yet, when netctl.service tries to bring a profile up.

That is, do you suspend or hibernate the machine or the networking bits of your computer in some way?  If you do you may want to look at that man page and follow the solution proposed in it for re-enabling suspended network connections.

Thanks for the advice. I followed the suggestions in the man page but they did not fix the issue. I think that is addressing issues with netctl.service, which does load on my machine. It is only netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service which fails.

#4 2014-10-26 13:02:31

hilltownboy

This problem may be related to Intel microcode if you have an Intel CPU, as in my case.  See recent arch news update.

#5 2014-10-30 16:31:28

mikepedaz

hilltownboy wrote:

This problem may be related to Intel microcode if you have an Intel CPU, as in my case.  See recent arch news update.

I followed the steps suggested in the wiki and this did not affect my problem. Thanks though

Board footer