You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-31 19:37:49

fennectech

Am i correct (CVT is broken!)

well   over the past few days ive been spending alot of time getting a new display to operate under linux.  the problem with it is this display REQUIRES 1366x768   ive seen other DFPs that have the same requirement or even a more exotic resolutions    and the CVT utility is unable to calculate resolution for 1366x768 and rounded to 1368x768 and it didnt work with the panel     so my solution was to explore the web and i found this website with tons of modelines   so after 2.5 hours of trial and error  i found a modeline that actually worked for this DFP    and it was a 1366x768 resolution  anyways   this raises question to me   about the CVT utility  and if it can create resolutions such as this    and it cannot   it appears that it only generates resolutions that are multiples of eight     therefor there are many resolutions that cannot be generated with it      so im posing the point that the utility may need modification or rewriting     not saying im right   but just posing an theory and idea i have.

[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$ cat about_myself
Hello there my name is FennecTECH I am a novice arch user though I am here to learn  I live in central Minnesota where I hangout in the console and make my way into X11. Nice to meet you all! Enjoy my home directory feel free to poke around. There is a solution to every problem, so long as you do not break the laws of physics.
=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

#2 2014-10-31 19:42:26

fennectech

Re: Am i correct (CVT is broken!)

and anyways i did figure out how to get it to work  and the lc320EM uses these modelines "1920x1080" 148.5 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync   and  "1366x768" 85.50 1366 1424 1536 1786 768 771 777 795 +HSync +VSync

Hello there my name is FennecTECH I am a novice arch user though I am here to learn  I live in central Minnesota where I hangout in the console and make my way into X11. Nice to meet you all! Enjoy my home directory feel free to poke around. There is a solution to every problem, so long as you do not break the laws of physics.
=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

#3 2014-11-01 14:35:07

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

CVT is intended to generate modelines for CRT devices, and i don't think i've ever seen a 1368x768 CRT .

All DFPs (= digital flat panel ) are supposed to send an EDID that has all necessary modeline information.

Why did you want to calculate your own ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2014-11-01 15:11:25

fennectech

my DFP did  noy send any modeline information  and thus i could not use the resolution     and i know it would do the same on other linux based systems    therefore i needed to find modelines online for it       because there is one DFP that doesnt properly send EDID information  there will be others    and some users arent exactly good at troubbleshooting   so the CVT utility may need a rewrite
the DFP shows up as unknown to all linux based operating systems i have so the highest resolution was 1024x768

Last edited by fennectech (2014-11-01 15:13:42)

=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

#5 2014-11-01 15:36:08

Gusar

Lone_Wolf wrote:

CVT is intended to generate modelines for CRT devices

Nope, you're thinking of GTF (general timing formula). CVT (coordinated video timing) is meant for both CRT and DFP displays. However, it's still about analog signals (VGA), not digital ones (DVI). You're right that the correct modeline should come from the display's EDID. By the way, CRTs have an EDID too smile

@fenntech: Specifying your own modelines shouldn't be necessary, so the solution to your problem isn't hunting down random modelines, it's figuring out why the EDID isn't being read by the system. It is possible that your display doesn't have a valid EDID, but that's rare. Usually the problem is a flaky VGA cable or the nvidia proprietary driver being weird, but you haven't provided any info about your setup so it's impossible to tell where the issue is. The X log contains clues whether the EDID was read correctly.

BTW, sometimes the GPU or the display can only handle VGA resolutions that are multiples of 8, that's why CVT rounds to that. For example, our TV at home can do 1366x768 over digital connections, but 1360x768 over VGA. In contrast, an Asus display I have only has VGA input, but it can handle 1366x768 through it.

#6 2014-11-01 16:01:56

fennectech

WELL i took the nvidia card out  so im using the built in intel card       the cable im using is older   but it worked fine under windows  and windows was able to detect the display

=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

Board footer