You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-09 19:27:57

MrAureliusR

Default DISPLAY environment variable?

Hi everyone! I'm not exactly a newbie to Arch, but this feels like a newbie question, so I posted it here.

I'm trying to install TI's Code Composer Studio IDE. I've successfully installed it on my Fedora machine, so I know the steps to take to install it.
However, when I try and run the installer, I get an error in my terminal:

"Please set DISPLAY. Code Composer Studio v5 cannot be installed in console mode."

I know this is referring to the display environment variable. Lo and behold, when I type printenv, DISPLAY is not there. This had me scratching my head, as doesn't the X Display Server need that environment variable there to start the X server?

What should the default value of this be? I have two displays. Is this env variable deprecated for some reason? I remember it being things like localhost:0.0 or just :0 in some distros, but I've tried a few things and it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Thanks!

#2 2014-11-09 19:41:24

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Re: Default DISPLAY environment variable?

Are you in X when you run printenv?

From my machine (with X running):

$ printenv | grep DISPLAY
DISPLAY=:0.0

#3 2014-11-09 19:50:46

kokoko3k

If you start the installation as root, then the display variable is NOT set.
What you need to do is allowing other users (root) to use your display, so, as your user, do:

xhost +local:

Then, as root, before installing the program, do:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
<command to install the ide here>

...maybe fedora does that by default, i don't know.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2014-11-09 19:55:00)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#4 2014-11-09 20:00:18

MrAureliusR

Two things:

I get the same error whether I run the installer as root or not. It recommends that it be run as root for the driver install.

I just tried your above suggestions, and still getting the same result.

Yes, I'm in X. I'm running the command from XTerm, just like in Fedora (and Ubuntu, for that matter).

This might be a problem with the installer, and not with X, but it seems others have successfully installed it on Arch, so I don't know what I'm missing.

#5 2014-11-10 12:25:39

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Have you verified you got all dependencies CCS needs installed ?

Check out these links for details :

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php … st_Support
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php … es_for_CCS

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2014-11-11 22:56:04

lucasam

I'm not sure whether this will help but I've had issues installing a Java piece of software which installer could not detect the location of my JVM. The problem was that I had

export GREP_OPTIONS="--color=always"

in my ~/.bashrc. The installer was trying to get the location of the JVM using grep but couldn't parse the output because it was cluttered with control characters. Maybe that's why your installer cannot get the value of the environment variable DISPLAY? Changing the color option to "auto" or "never" fixed it in my case.

Board footer