You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-13 15:20:22

LiquidAurum

Microsoft makes .NET open source

This I feel is big news, I'm not a programmer (yet smile ) but I can tell this is huge, I don't know of any other thing MS has ever released open source. They also released Visual Studio Community 2013 (new version of 2013) for free as well. What do you guys think of this announcement?

#2 2014-11-13 15:43:23

nomorewindows

Re: Microsoft makes .NET open source

One of the newswires calls it open white washing.  M$ does have some ties with SuSe, and in the Enterprise versions of Windows includes some connectivity to *Nix, but primarily with Suse.  If it just so happens to work with your distribution, you're lucky.  M$ also has the Academic Alliance that pretty much does the same thing.  And just what does VSC2013 include?  RMS would stress that FSF and Open Source have technically different missions.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2014-11-13 15:44:28)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2014-11-13 16:03:24

ewaller
Administrator

I had seen this on Slashdot yesterday and wondered how long it would take to find its way to these shores. smile  This could be interesting, but please remember to keep the discussion civil.  Many of us have seen Microsoft do things of which we don't approve and they do have a well deserved reputation for tactics whereby they deliberately corrupt public standards (and standards committees) to make things difficult for both their competition and "partners" 

On the other hand, Microsoft has a new man at the helm.  They are also major contributors to the Linux kernel.   I think it is safe to say that .Net will not be GPL3.  I've not read the documents as yet, but I'll bet the licence is more along the lines of the MIT license. 

Regardless, I think I'll take a wait and see approach.  Personally, I am not a fan of manged code and plan to stick to C for anything serious.  C bindings to .Net are awkward. Maybe Python.Net?  We'll see....

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2014-11-13 16:36:38

Scimmia
Fellow

It's kind-of big news, but really it's something that's been happening for months, so it's not really news.

Also note that what they're switching to the MIT license at this point is only the server version of the framework (what they're calling core). There is no GUI components, so this doesn't really affect much for desktop users.

IMO, the "Community Edition" is bigger news.

Last edited by Scimmia (2014-11-13 16:37:44)

#5 2014-11-13 16:59:38

drcouzelis
Website

It reminds me of my experience with Mono a year or two ago.

I was looking for a lighter alternative to the GIMP. Then I discovered Pinta. It was fast, easy, powerful, and pretty. Then I realized, "Awwwww, it uses Mono." sad

...And then I realized I was being an idiot. I had found an application that perfectly suited my needs. So what how it was made? C# is just a language. Mono is just another free and open source library. And I certainly didn't care about *gasp dozens of MB needed to install it. So, I stopped being an idiot and enjoyed using Pinta. The end. smile

...And THEN many months later I switched to Krita because it's amazing. tongue

#6 2014-11-14 12:54:14

Lone_Wolf

ewaller wrote:

Maybe Python.Net?  We'll see....

This might interest you then : http://ironpython.net/

While i find .Net a monstrosity (i help some people running Windows systems, and problems they have are often caused by .Net applications), i think this is good news.

They choose a license (MIT) that is OSI-approved, that is  abig step for them.
I also like they may no longer be trying to create their own separate community platform (Codeplex et al), but instead try to become part of the greater OSS community by using github to host the code.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2014-11-15 00:52:10

Steef435
Website

So, can I expect Microsoft's Office suite running smoothly in a month? :)

I'm skeptical so far, I don't think I'm seeing the big picture. What's next, DirectX cross-platform and open source? Losing their monopoly will only cost them as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Steef435 (2014-11-15 00:52:45)

#8 2014-11-15 01:28:55

drcouzelis
Website

Steef435 wrote:

I'm skeptical so far, I don't think I'm seeing the big picture.

In my opinion, the more people use Microsoft products (on any operating system) then the more people will:

1. Buy tools from Microsoft to work with those products.

2. Use those products to access Microsoft hosted servers, providing them with whatever it is companies want when they collect a lot of information on people.

#9 2014-11-15 02:47:32

CSCoder4ever

Interesting stuff, I wonder if this means Visual Studio for linux, even though they're helping mono out as well.

Desktop: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill DDR4 RAM @ 3600MHz CL16 | 500GB 980 pro NVMe SSD, several Sata SSDs | Arch Linux x86_64 w/ awesomeWM
Keebs: ID75 w/ Kailh Speed Navy's w/ GMK Laser

#10 2014-11-15 09:29:03

nomorewindows

I guess we could wine about it, since that enables us to run non-mono applications.  They're already getting pretty good at making most applications work with it.  Where will mono and wine meet?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#11 2014-11-18 12:01:06

blackout23

What I would hope for is that we get the GUI Toolkit on Linux somehow. Tons of applications like finanical planning software (Quicken, Taxman) use .NET and there is no real open alternative. Don't even mention GNUCash... Stuff like Quicken binds millions of small business and indiviudals to Windows. Getting those on Linux would be probably an even bigger deal than Steam.

#12 2014-11-18 12:15:51

clfarron4
Website

blackout23 wrote:

What I would hope for is that we get the GUI Toolkit on Linux somehow. Tons of applications like finanical planning software (Quicken, Taxman) use .NET and there is no real open alternative. Don't even mention GNUCash... Stuff like Quicken binds millions of small business and indiviudals to Windows. Getting those on Linux would be probably an even bigger deal than Steam.

I'm another supporter of this smile

I wonder what will happen when C# (the only language I properly understand) hits Linux

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#13 2014-11-18 13:53:12

Trent

CSCoder4ever wrote:

Interesting stuff, I wonder if this means Visual Studio for linux, even though they're helping mono out as well.

That would be a logical next step, especially in light of their sweeping statements regarding cross-platform development. I don't doubt VS on Linux is on somebody's roadmap.

It does seem a bit like a "Don't leave baby, I can change" move. But maybe that's not being quite fair; Microsoft is a different company without Ballmer. Probably has more chairs, too. I think it remains to be seen whether this indicates a new focus on growing the pond, or is just another way to out-compete the little fish.

#14 2014-11-18 14:36:43

LiquidAurum

clfarron4 wrote:

I wonder what will happen when C# (the only language I properly understand) hits Linux

Is this a prediction or confirmed?

#15 2014-11-18 14:49:57

clfarron4
Website

LiquidAurum wrote:
clfarron4 wrote:

Is this a prediction or confirmed?

Should have used the word IF instead of WHEN XD

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#16 2014-11-18 15:03:37

LiquidAurum

Oh, started to get really excited big_smile

Board footer