You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-27 09:59:05

StreakyCobra

ENTER key with fr-bepo keymap is not working if used in the initramfs

Hello,

I just installed archlinux on a new computer. I have set disk encryption with LVM on top of LUKS:

root (Btrfs) -> LVM -> LUKS -> SSD disk

Everything works correctly, especially if I didn't use the keymap hook in mkinitcpio.conf. When booting, the LUKS password is asked with en_US keyboard. I enter the password and then the computer boots normally, with the keymap specified in /etc/vconsole.conf.

Then if I set the keyboard to swiss-french in /etc/vconsole.conf, AND use the keymap hook in mkinitcpio.conf before encrypt (to have my layout to enter the LUKS password), everything works as expected again. The LUKS password is prompted with fr_CH keyboard and then the computer boots normally with the same layout.

KEYMAP=fr_CH
HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems keyboard"

But if I set the keyboard to french-bepo in /etc/vconsole.conf without changing anything else, the ENTER key stops working (I can not verify if other keys are working because characters are not displayed). Hence it is not possible to validate the LUKS password to continue.

KEYMAP=fr-bepo

To verify I also tried to move the keymap hook after encrypt: the LUKS password is prompted with en_US keyboard, but after that the ENTER key stops working, I can enter my username to login, characters are displayed and follow the fr-bepo keymap, but when pressing ENTER nothing append.

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block encrypt lvm2 filesystems keyboard keymap"

So, how can I get more informations to fill a bug report? Because actually I even don't know if the problem comes from the kbd package or the mkinitcpio hook.

Thanks for your hints,
Fab

#2 2014-08-19 18:43:41

calve

Re: ENTER key with fr-bepo keymap is not working if used in the initramfs

Hi, sorry for bump and noise.

I have experienced this exact same issue at boot, thought I did not tested with another layout than ``fr-bépo``.  It is really annoying, so I finished just removing the keymap hook and I type my passphrase in a qwerty layout.

Have you moved on the problem ?

To verify I also tried to move the keymap hook after encrypt: the LUKS password is prompted with en_US keyboard, but after that the ENTER key stops working, I can enter my username to login, characters are displayed and follow the fr-bepo keymap, but when pressing ENTER nothing append.

I may try that. As of no keymap hook, I have no problem using bépo in the tty.

#3 2014-11-09 20:10:24

a_neutrino
Website

Hi,

I also am using the Bépo layout with an encrypted drive and encountered the same problem: the Return key does not work.

It seems to work fine if you use the fr-bepo-latin9 keymap.

# /etc/vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=fr-bepo-latin9

But I also looked at the files /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/bepo/fr-bepo.map.gz and /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/bepo/fr-bepo-latin9.map.gz (you can open gzipped files in vim directly). fr-bepo-latin9.map.gz defines keycode 28 (Return) but fr-bepo.map.gz does not.

I modified fr-bepo.map.gz:

# vim /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/bepo/fr-bepo.map.gz  # Append that line : "keycode 28 = Return".
# mkinitcpio -p linux  # Rebuild the initramfs.

The Return key now works, but the Backspace (14, "Delete") and Shift (54) keys don’t work. I found that both the cf.map.gz (french canadian layout) and fr-bepo-latin9.map.gz files define those keycodes as well as other non-printing keys so I copied the following lines from fr-bepo-latin9.map.gz to fr-bepo.map.gz:

keycode  1 = Escape Escape
keycode 14 = Delete  Delete
keycode 15 = Tab Tab
keycode 28 = Return
keycode 29 = Control
keycode 42 = Shift
keycode 54 = Shift
keycode 56 = Alt
keycode 58 = Caps_Lock
keycode 97 = Control

It works! Don’t forget to rebuild the initramfs after you change the keymap file.

# mkinitcpio -p linux

I will send a message to the kbd and bépo projects mailing lists and report back.

#4 2014-11-15 13:30:51

a_neutrino
Website

Reported the bug upstream (mailing list archive). Still waiting for a reply.

#5 2015-01-31 16:35:22

a_neutrino
Website

I got a reply on the kbd mailinglist. Upstream added the missing keycodes in fr-bepo.map.gz.

http://lists.altlinux.org/pipermail/kbd … 00506.html

Board footer