You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-17 01:01:52

nfm

Firefox patches to degooglify and remove ads

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any power users that compile their own builds and are aware of any patches that give you more freedom to a browser.  I think it is time to have a browser where no data reaches google and no packets are ever sent anywhere without user first interacting with browser (I'm talking about the web attack/forgery blocking settings (Safe Browsing), telementary, redirects being done to google from URL search bar, and what not).

#2 2014-11-17 02:14:32

karol
Archivist

Re: Firefox patches to degooglify and remove ads

#3 2014-11-17 02:47:22

drcouzelis
Website

I'm confused by your question. What information is my installation of Firefox sending to Google?

nfm wrote:

I'm talking about the web attack/forgery blocking settings (Safe Browsing), telementary, redirects being done to google from URL search bar, and what not

I don't understand the meaning of any of the things you listed. sad Do you have links explaining any of them?

#4 2014-11-17 02:48:33

karol
Archivist

#5 2014-11-17 04:58:29

nfm

Thanks karol, it seems promising but I have a feeling it has diverted too much from firefox's codebase and as time goes on it will have difficulty catching up with the features each new vanilla firefox release comes up with. From my quick peek at the project it looks like Palemoon favors Windows user, is based off of firefox 25,  features its own servers for Sync/bookmark functionality, backports security fixes and CVEs, applies its own tweaks, and strips out unneeded code.

I would be happy with vanilla 33.1 minus the sponsored tiles/ads and anything having to do with google. Might be useful to find or come up with delta patches and do a custom AUR pkgbuild.

drcouzelis wrote:

I'm confused by your question. What information is my installation of Firefox sending to Google?

Sorry for being vague, but basically what karol linked you to. If you want to verify for yourself take dumps with wireshark and notice various connections made to google when having inactive browser open for some time. I'm not paranoid, I just don't like google, they are clever bastards, and believe we should have a right to more open browser AND WE CAN.

Last edited by nfm (2014-11-17 04:59:59)

#6 2014-11-17 05:06:41

karol
Archivist

Have you seen e.g. http://www.leavegooglebehind.com/how-to … m-firefox/ ?
I'm not sure you'll like the last two sentences, but there's some good advice.

I haven't tested it, I don't know if it works as advertised.

Board footer