You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-17 05:28:11

cyberpsych0sis

Multi-Machine External Hard Drive

What I'm trying to Accomplish:
I would like to install Arch linux on an external hard drive and have it work with the widest array of machines possible and before I get started I'd like to ask if you could check my logic and let me know if you see any glaring issues or recommendations that I should be made aware of.

To clarify, this isn't meant to be used on just one system. Instead it is meant to be used on any hardware I find available. Using this method will allow me to boot into any computer with my own operating system/settings/configurations/tools etc. It isn't meant to be used on just one machine.

My question:
What considerations must be made to ensure it can be booted on the widest array of hardware?

Considerations that I perceive:

1.System Architecture: I know I'll need to use 32bit software to make sure it's backwards compatible with older systems.
2. Boot Loading:  I'll need a boot loader that can support UEFI and BIOS, for this I was thinking of using Syslinux. The main issue I have here is:
  - I don't know if the system can be configured to boot from both UEFI and BIOS simultaneously or if it must be one way or the other.
3. Boot Partition Tables: I think it would almost be a requirement to go with GUID partition tables as there is a rather dynamic nature to partition assignment with MBR, and having the Unique Ids could help bypass that issue.
4. Device Drivers: This is one problem that I'm not sure how to address elegantly. I imagine I could just download every driver in the repository but that doesn't sound very bright. Or I could just stick with the defaults that have the widest base and hope they work well enough.
5. USB WiFi NIC I plan on carrying an external wifi dongle to ensure I have wireless access and thereby bypass all the pain that comes along with that.

Last edited by cyberpsych0sis (2014-11-17 22:05:14)

#2 2014-11-17 12:54:13

cafe

Re: Multi-Machine External Hard Drive

Hi,

Have you considered building a live CD ? (I say CD, but nowadays it can be any kind of bootable device, like a pendrive or an external hard drive, as you proposed). If that is the case, I advise you to take a look at the wiki page : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Building_a_Live_CD

By the way, what are you really trying to do? The way I see, a generic built is not the solution for specific tasks. If you just want to browse the internet, read PDFs and stuff, why not use the host computer anyway? If you use arch, I'm sure you know how to operate any windows machine and/or macs.

The reason I say that is because I've also tried to do that myselft only to reach the conclusion that having my own notebook with my custom built is much better than carrying a pendrive with a generic built everywhere I go. That's because every machine has its own specific hardware that may or may not operate nicely in a linux box. And when it doesn't.. well, you know the tale..

But then again, it is up to you. I would advise strongly against, but that's just me. In any case, it is an interesting learning experience.
Cheers & Good luck,

#3 2014-11-17 13:39:56

demaio
Website

I did install Arch on a USB 3.0 SSD and it works on a range of devices up to now, tested on ca. 8 different laptops from Acer, Lenovo, and HP. I recommend reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Usb_install if you have not already done so.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. Architecture: The wiki page recommends using 32bit, I ignored it because all machines I boot this disk with are 64bit capable.

2. Boot loader: I installed an UEFI (Gummiboot) and a BIOS boot loader (Syslinux), each on a different partition and used this configuration on both UEFI and BIOS machines. Have to do some manual copying of kernels and initrd after an update, but I guess this can be solved differently.

3. Partition tables: I use GPT with a protective MBR, no problem up to now. The Syslinux Wiki page has usefull information for compatibility.

4. Drivers: Using the fallback kernel/initrd I had no problems but I mostly use Intel graphics, and one radeon. The wiki page has some recommendations for driver packages.

5. Wifi: Nice idea. I use my smartphone with USB for that.

#4 2014-11-17 22:17:59

cyberpsych0sis

cafe wrote:

Hi,

Have you considered building a live CD ? (I say CD, but nowadays it can be any kind of bootable device, like a pendrive or an external hard drive, as you proposed). If that is the case, I advise you to take a look at the wiki page : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Building_a_Live_CD

cafe wrote:

By the way, what are you really trying to do? The way I see, a generic built is not the solution for specific tasks. If you just want to browse the internet, read PDFs and stuff, why not use the host computer anyway? If you use arch, I'm sure you know how to operate any windows machine and/or macs.
The reason I say that is because I've also tried to do that myselft only to reach the conclusion that having my own notebook with my custom built is much better than carrying a pendrive with a generic built everywhere I go. That's because every machine has its own specific hardware that may or may not operate nicely in a linux box. And when it doesn't.. well, you know the tale..

You've clearly missed the point in this. I DO have my own custom build on my pc. This external drive isn't going to be a live usb it's going to be a full fledged arch install, meant to be customized with the software I want, it will be a full system that is small and thereby portable. It's meant to be used when I don't have access to my laptop or desktop. It will allow me to securely use the equipment of others inside of my own environment which can easily be taken anywhere. With it having my own software, I know what's on it (If i'm using someone elses equipment, i don't know they aren't using software to monitor what I do on it. With this method I won't need to worry about that, because I'll have a sterile system that I've built myself) It can also be used as a backup, a rescue os for troubleshooting issues, a forensics OS used to extract data, a portable encrypted drive, a portable server (with virtual servers installed) and many other such uses. This method offers alot of other possibilities that don't exist by simply installing it to a local machine.

And lastly, just because it didn't work for you it doesn't mean it won't work for others.

Last edited by cyberpsych0sis (2014-11-17 22:31:32)

#5 2014-11-17 22:26:55

cyberpsych0sis

demaio wrote:

I did install Arch on a USB 3.0 SSD and it works on a range of devices up to now, tested on ca. 8 different laptops from Acer, Lenovo, and HP. I recommend reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Usb_install if you have not already done so.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. Architecture: The wiki page recommends using 32bit, I ignored it because all machines I boot this disk with are 64bit capable.

2. Boot loader: I installed an UEFI (Gummiboot) and a BIOS boot loader (Syslinux), each on a different partition and used this configuration on both UEFI and BIOS machines. Have to do some manual copying of kernels and initrd after an update, but I guess this can be solved differently.

3. Partition tables: I use GPT with a protective MBR, no problem up to now. The Syslinux Wiki page has usefull information for compatibility.

4. Drivers: Using the fallback kernel/initrd I had no problems but I mostly use Intel graphics, and one radeon. The wiki page has some recommendations for driver packages.

5. Wifi: Nice idea. I use my smartphone with USB for that.

Thanks, good information. I've actually read that wiki page too, but re-reading was a good refresher. And right GPT has a Protective MBR for legacy systems! Didn't even register that.
Question:
Why did you opt to install 2 bootloaders? and in doing so, this didn't cause you any issues? What sort of updates did you need to make?

Thanks again for the insight.

#6 2014-11-18 08:23:05

TheSaint

I have installed on USB-HDD. It boots UEFI and MBR computers. Non squashfs, upgradeable. I installed all video drivers from xorg packages to overcome any unexpected video card.
No external wifi, but it may use one as much as the kernel will handle it.
Actually only a Dell inspiron 3521 doesn't boot by UEFI. Surely will do by legacy MBR.
If the Arch iso boot on a plenty of machines any other setup will do. The only difference is the compressed file system of Arch iso. So as Demaio pointed out the wiki, the installation would do for a large number of machines. I don't see doubts.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#7 2014-11-18 13:57:59

demaio
Website

cyberpsych0sis wrote:

Question:
Why did you opt to install 2 bootloaders? and in doing so, this didn't cause you any issues? What sort of updates did you need to make?

Good question ;-) AFAIR this was because I just setup Gummiboot for an UEFI system and then realised that I wanted to extend the configuration to BIOS systems, for which Gummiboot does not work. And no, I had no issues with it, except that I need to maintain two bootloader configuration files (one for gummiboot and one for syslinux) and two partitions for kernel and initrd because at the time of the installation I wrongly thought one would need two partitions for two bootloaders, but I did not quite understand all UEFI details.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go the "syslinux only" route for both UEFI and BIOS, and the kernel and initramfs only on one partition.

Board footer