You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-15 20:53:42

archr00t

Help concerning grup and lvm partitions after installation

Hello, I just recently installed arch-linux according to this installation guide:
https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/UEFI_Installation

Therefore I decided to use the following partitions:

/dev/sda1 -> 1GB EFI boot
/dev/sda2 -> swap
/dev/sda3 -> split up to 2 partitions via lvm for /boot/ and /home as described in the guide.

then I installed the UEFI grup without any errors and after reboot it did not work:

I got the following errors:

hwdb.bin does not exist, please run udevadm hwdb --update
ERROR: device 'UUID=...' not found
ERROR: Unable to find root device 'UUID=...'
and an emergency shell appeared..

Well first I thought of my fstab, but all partitions are mentioned there correctly.
Then I looked the errors up in the internet and tried to reinstall mkinitcpio as well as a reuse of:  mkinitcpio -p linux

Nothing happened, still the same.

I only followed the steps mentioned in the installation guide and before reboot everything looked pretty good.
Does grub maybe interfier with lvm ?

In a nutshell, I have no single clue why it does not work, so hopefully one of you knows why

Thanks already

Last edited by archr00t (2014-11-15 20:55:02)

#2 2014-11-15 21:08:48

CarlD

Re: Help concerning grup and lvm partitions after installation

Hello there,

1. You have a UEFI system. As such, the UEFI partition (/dev/sda1) serves as your boot partition (e.g. mounted at /boot or /boot/efi). You don't need to create another one on top of that! That would be a big part of your problem.

2. Your extra /boot partition is also LVM, which UEFI cannot handle. For UEFI systems, there must therefore be a seperate boot partition, and it CANNOT be LVM. Root, Home, and Swap are fine, but not the UEFI (i.e. /boot) partition.

3. Even if it were a BIOS system, you also need to manually edit the grub configuration file to sucessfully boot where /boot is LVM.

#3 2014-11-15 21:26:00

archr00t

thank you, but as far as I know, I ONLY set one boot partition for EFI which was /dev/sda1, mounted on /boot as mentioned.
Secondly the lvm partitions I ONLY used for /dev/sda3 for /root and /home, which is not related to my /boot partition.

As I said, I only followed the steps in the paper which are written for UEFI systems, so it should work, shouldnt it?

Or did I missunderstand something?

#4 2014-11-15 22:25:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Paste your grub config and the output of `blkid`...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2014-11-22 20:17:11

Spara06
Website

Hi archr00t,

Just checking here -- did you add the lvm2 hook between block and filesystem to your mkinitpcio.conf file when you generated the ramdisk image?

Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

Board footer