You are not logged in.

#951 2014-11-12 21:24:05

kahrkunne

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

Arch isn't perfect, but it is the best distro out there.
Really the only thing I don't like about arch is systemd, but I can live with it because it's still the best.

#952 2014-11-13 01:31:07

nomorewindows

chaonaut wrote:

Arch Linux: get everything you planned for your LFS installation but phuqed up smile (© me)

That's supposed to be copyleft or under a GPL or something like that.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#953 2014-11-16 03:35:30

macaco

Ah c'mon... systemd is cool. The log-files are a little messed up, but otherwise there is nothing to complain about...

#954 2014-11-16 15:42:01

Lone_Wolf

kahrkunne wrote:

Arch isn't perfect, but it is the best distro out there.
Really the only thing I don't like about arch is systemd, but I can live with it because it's still the best.

I can live with it cause it's still possible (although more work)  to use other init systems.

Macaco, that you find little wrong with systemd, doesn't mean there's nothing to complain about.

check for example this thread : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=186473

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#955 2014-11-18 10:17:32

fennectech

arch is an awesome OS   that allows full freedom of will   but to call it ultimate  is not true    there are situations in wich arch is simply not appropiate

[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$ cat about_myself
Hello there my name is FennecTECH I am a novice arch user though I am here to learn  I live in central Minnesota where I hangout in the console and make my way into X11. Nice to meet you all! Enjoy my home directory feel free to poke around. There is a solution to every problem, so long as you do not break the laws of physics.
=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

#956 2014-11-18 18:40:10

xabit

im not so long into arch, but it is quite better than many linux distros.
archlinux is so well commented that you can solve almost everything, that is what i missing on other distros.

at first it was very hard to manualy install everything, but after all this work i can see that it was woth it.

with your help Archfriends i got my System running like i want to and im very thankfull, specialy "brebs" was always there.

greez X

Last edited by xabit (2014-11-18 18:40:41)

#957 2014-11-18 19:01:55

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Arch is the best thread..

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#958 2014-11-21 05:01:44

CrazyIrish

I've been using arch for about 5 years now, I forgot there were other distros...

#959 2014-11-23 20:40:57

JKAbrams

As I'm celebrating 3 years with Arch, I got the idea to write down my experience as a Arch Linux user
The more recent things are more detailed.
Some dates are off because of memory corruption in my brain.

Log:
2011        Thought I'd make the plunge and switch to Linux as my main system. Started with Ubuntu. Didn't like Gnome. Went to Kubuntu. I've always liked KDE, the Kubuntu implementation was buggy and not well integrated. KDE 4 was nice but buggy. I see potential and decide this is what I want. Tried lots different KDE-based distros, some wouldn't install. Tried SUSE, nice settings-panel, lots of applications were not well supported and needed special quirks to work. Problems with availability of packages or dependencies.
2011-12        Found Arch. Found all applications I need. The Arch way resonates deeply with me - the KISS principle.
2012-01        Got PhotoShop CS5 working through Wine. No need to boot Windows!
2013-08        Came back home to my main desktop after being away for 8 months. Tried to do everything on archlinux.org news, but unfortunately it was no longer possible to follow the directions because of more recent changes creating interdependencies, tried to follow the instructions as best I could but ultimately broke the system broken beyond my ability to fix it.
2013-09        Gave up on Arch. I thought 'I need something stable' - installed Debian Stable.
On Debian:
   -Firefox 3.6 and an ancient version of Wine. Rly?! That didn't cut it for me (lots of Wine applications not working, unable to maintain applications in AppDB, needed recent Firefox for web dev. stuff).
   -Upgraded to Debian Unstable to have recent packages. "Debian Unstable might be broken for up to a few weeks." (Note to self, why did I switch again?)
   -Learned the dark magic of compiling a recent Wine version on Debian (http://verahill.blogspot.com.au/2013/08 … ot-on.html).
   -Had to adapt this method for each version... Lot's of work every other week.
   -Packages breaking. Things messed up. Unsupported solution, didn't seem like a sustainable solution in the long run.
2013-10        Gave up on Debian. Back to distroswapping. Tried lots of different distros. Kubuntu - 'feeling locked in' needed to do thing the 'Ubuntu way', some things not working. Chakra - install failed.
2013-11        Back on Arch Linux with a bigger appreciation for AUR and recent packages. Understand that having a stable OS with recent applications is a 'pick one' situation on Linux. Arch is the best compromise I've found. Most things are possible. The distribution is never in the way.
2013-12        Arch has become unstable. Whole system locks up in different ways. Random applications crashes, especially Firefox. Tried everything. (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=174277&p=5)
2013-12 - 2014-07    I cry because my system is so unstable. Cry and save often. Depressing. Hold my thumbs every update - perhaps this one will fix it. Hanging on. Want to support Linux/open source. If even I can't use it, how could I ever recommend it for my less tech savvy friends in the future?
2014-05        System crashed in an update. Fixed the system with rescue CD.
2014-07        Whatever caused the crashes is fixed in an update! System is now finally reliable again! Oh the joy of having a stable computer!

Laptop
2014-08        Started the laptop (Macbook Air 1,1 early 2008) after not using it for 1/2 year. Read and fixed everything on archlinux.org news, then pacman -Syu. Result: broke booting and after fixing booting:  touchpad, keyboard, sound and sleeping broken (among other things).
2014-08        Put the laptop away, have to deal with it another day, to much work! Need to get actual work done.
2014-10        Fixed the touchpad and keyboard on laptop.
2014-10        Tried different Linux kernels on laptop and found that 3.15 with the remake of the sleeping-system broke waking up. Earlier had various other different driver-problems. LTS kind of worked but did not wake up.
2014-10        Found that Linux LTS now works and sleeps/wakes up correctly on the laptop!

Current problems
2014-11        My bank login-ID expired. Needed to use a new smart card. New smartcard lacks driver support on Linux. Unable to login to the bank, tax authority and so on. My investigation how it could be solved turned out it can't unless a new driver is developed. (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pcsc … banken-bin)
2014-11        Installed PulseAudio for some reason (forgot why). Got it working after lots of fiddling, but broke Jitsi instead. Unable to find solution.
2014-11        Set up Quassel to work in core/client mode. Very nice way to do IRC, even works on my Android phone! Needed to do some investigation as the main documentation leaves some things to be desired. Wrote the wiki page.
2014-11        Needed to print something, cups was broken. Fixed the problem with cups and got my printout. I rarely print things, seems like every time I need the printer I have to fix cups first! Discouraging.
2014-11        Pidgin won't let me log in to MSN anymore, just says 'connecting' but nothing happens, tried to fix it but could not find a solution.
2014-11        Quassel core broke, tried fixing it but can't understand what the problem is, needs more of my time. No IRC in the meantime.

Conclusion:
I'm still here. Development in the land of the free seems to takes two step forward and one step back and sometimes one step to the side. Updating is always exciting and scary. What bugs get fixed? What new bugs are introduced? Will there be cake (new features)?
I try to be honest. Obviously this log is tilted to the negative side, the good parts is harder to quantify. When my system works I'm really happy with them. I can't imagine ever going back to Windows.
Maintenance of my two systems (laptop and desktop) takes somewhere between 1-12h/week.
Sometimes I wonder why I do this, guess it's become my hobby. Good way to learn Linux. Tell myself that using it is helping the cause, which I value highly, try to contribute whenever I can.

This is my experience, what is yours?

Last edited by JKAbrams (2014-11-23 20:49:29)

#960 2014-11-23 21:26:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

This sort of thing is really better suited to a blog post.

Merging with the Unofficial Arch is Best thread...

#961 2014-11-23 22:21:12

drcouzelis
Website

JKAbrams wrote:

This is my experience, what is yours?

You just reminded me, this month is my five year anniversary with Arch Linux! I should blog about how much Arch is best. big_smile

#962 2014-11-23 23:57:45

macaco

I switched back to Arch about 2 weeks ago and I can't understand why I waited so long. Everything is working, f**ing actual, und because of the AUR I would say it is reasonable to assume that Arch outcompetes .deb in terms of available packages. The extreme flexibility of pacman might make it most costumable distribution which actually works. (Missing those days when gentoo worked and comprised a lot of developers...). The wiki is simply great!! As I used the last 5y mainly Ubuntu and derivates the wiki is really needed to refresh my rusty linux skills.

Keep up the good work!

#963 2014-11-25 13:42:56

markfiend

I've no idea why I originally installed the 32-bit version on 64-bit hardware (n00bishness probably) but last night I ran through this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … installing and everything went perfectly.

Thanks.

#964 2014-12-08 19:25:20

voobscout

I've been a unix "fan" since mid '80s (HP-UX 2.x and AIX 1.something), a debian dude since around '95, i think it was 1.1 buzz or something, tried redhat a few times, wasn't really impressed by it. Had to work with lots of different flavors over the years, including gentoo and all kinds of bsd variants. Heard a lot of hubbub about arch, have seen it a few times running on friends/colleagues machines...

Installed/Discovered arch for myself a week ago and OMG! The absolutely best linux ever! So easy, so concise and so simple!

It took me around a week to learn how to properly package debs for apt, a few weeks to do the same for rpms, but with arch the learning curve was almost non-existent, maybe an hour if that. Top it off with all the awesomeness of having a rolling release distro and aur and i can truly admit, I am in love!

devs/packagers/maintainers of arch, i thank you for bringing the world this truly amazing gem of an OS!

- why oh why did I not give it a try earlier, stubborn stupid me -

#965 2014-12-08 19:28:09

nomorewindows

This probably goes in the arch is best thread.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#966 2014-12-08 19:34:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging...

#967 2014-12-09 15:42:17

niva

Arch sucks less.

smile

But honestly I'm a new user and I love it. For me as a new user one of the best things is, nothing is preinstalled.
I discovered so many great programs this way.
That is also the great thing about a rolling release. It is worth to spend time to set everything up, because you don't have to reinstall after 6 month.
You can fine tune everything over time, exactly like you want it to be.
But of course I'm only able to do it because of the great wiki, the other big strength of arch!

Don't panic!

#968 2014-12-13 05:26:52

philotomy

niva wrote:

I'm a new user and I love it...nothing is preinstalled...rolling release...you don't have to reinstall after 6 month...fine tune everything...exactly like you want it...great wiki..

Yeah, all of this.  Can't believe I waited this long.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito!

#969 2015-01-02 02:26:17

cjm

I find everything to be so simple in regards to Arch. I mean truthfully there are only a handful of ways you can accomplish the Linux boot process. Arch just has one of the most streamlined process. Plus Pacman is just amazing.

#970 2015-01-06 02:12:11

Sagformas
Website

Good evening to all:

I need your advice in a point smile, because i want to install ArchLinux on servers and workstations of own nonprofit proyect, but i need know if ArchLinux is good for this point.

I have used ArchLinux since 2013 on my Home Desktop and i have had only a bug with Archlinux, catalyst-test + Xorg 1.16...crash, my experience says that this is a good idea but... and ¿you? smile

Many thanks for your time ^^

P.D:
Ups, sorry for my english, I am spanish smile

Last edited by Sagformas (2015-01-06 02:14:52)

#971 2015-01-06 02:25:18

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Should I go Arch thread...

#972 2015-01-06 02:32:09

Sagformas
Website

Thanks  jasonwryan, i didn't know if it was fine wink

#973 2015-01-06 10:19:18

Awebb

As a rule of thumb, if you have to ask the question, then the answer is probably "no".

#974 2015-01-06 14:39:53

drcouzelis
Website

Sagformas wrote:

I have used ArchLinux since 2013 on my Home Desktop

You used Arch Linux for more than one year. I think you know from experience if it will be good on your server and workstation computers. wink

#975 2015-01-06 22:42:13

Jristz

drcouzelis wrote:
Sagformas wrote:

I have used ArchLinux since 2013 on my Home Desktop

You used Arch Linux for more than one year. I think you know from experience if it will be good on your server and workstation computers. wink

I ise Arch for more than 2 years. I think you know for experience that is not a good idea use a rolling distro for a production or non personal desktop in a busnes .

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

Board footer